Diabetics

Old Jan 30th 2004, 10:59 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by podgypossum
Hello Jill,

I am hoping you can help me. I am currently on high doses of metformin and gliclazide daily.
I am having real problems at the moment because i am trying to lose weight. I have found that due to the reduction of food intake, i am feeling really lethargic and tired all the time. I was wondering if it is because the amount of meds i am taking i now too high??? metformin 1000mg twice daily...gliclazide 160mg twice daily.
I cant go to the doc until i get my medicare card (should be within the next 4 weeks) so any advice i would really appreciate.
hi there Podge

Only just logged on as still feeling rough.

I'm so sorry I can't help you on this one because I only deal with Nutrition, I'm not a dietician (who has been medically trained).
If you are were trying to loose weight (in isolation to the dietb.) then I would say the lethargy is due to you not taking in enough calories !!!! But you can end up in a catch 22 situ. if you feel tired you don't do much and then that in turn makes you feel more tired.

I can't give you any specific advice on the drugs you are taking, but if it gets so bad, then can't you have an emergency appointment ?. Sorry I can't be of more help, but I would hate to make you poorly.

take care
Jill

Old Jan 30th 2004, 11:26 am
Brisbane

Trayla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi PP,

I do not know anything about Diabetes, but I do know a little about you and you know a bit about me.

You havn't been sleeping well, which you have mentioned on this site, so you may just be out of the 'normal' routine. Plus our project has probably given you a lot to think about too.

As you know I have changed my lifestyle from being a fulltime worker / part-time student to a 'full-time' student. This means that during the day I have to occupy myself, I am not forced to work anymore.

I tend to get very tired in the afternoons and have been having a cat nap, this leads to me having sleep problems at night and so the cycle continues. Plus I am spending more time on the net, this isn't good either!!!

If these are type of things that have been happening to you then it may not be your diabetes and you may just be like me, you should give me a ring and we could meet up and go and sink a couple of waters to try and staive of the lethargic tendancies.

I don't have diabetes but I am quite sensitive and can be affected by low blood sugar, brought on by over consumption of alcohol, tiredness and high sugary intakes. Ive had a few faints due to it which were really weird, and was advised to carry sweets with me if I get those feelings again. Hence my tendancy to carry around lollipops!!!

I have found that 'excercise' helps immensly, but can't be arsed!!!!

Speak to you soon,

Trayla
Old Jan 30th 2004, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Hey..you're becoming a bit of a worry Trayla.. super efficient committee member, puter whizz extrordinaire and now Marjorie Proops...LOL
You are getting to know me too well

Now..sinking some waters sounds a good idea... i reckon we should go down to the marina one lunchtime and see if the dolphin turns up!!

BTW... I WENT TO BED AND HAVE JUST GOT BACK UP TO SEE IF LUKE WAS HERE TO GET THE PASSWORDS WE NEED, BUT TYPICALLY HE NOT HERE WHEN YOU WANT HIM!!
Old Jan 30th 2004, 11:49 am
Brisbane

Trayla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey PP,

I told you, didn't I say its luke I am off!!! not; luke Iamyofath.

Going to bed now,

would love to hang around the marina dolphin spotting,

see you soon.

Trayla
Old Jan 30th 2004, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

tootated is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by paulf
Yeah I know....BUT diabetic food is SO Boring.
having said that as of monday morning I am gonna start trying alot harder, gotta go now and eat all the sweet choclately things in the house so no temptation is around.

Hi,

My sister died from complications due to type 1 diabetes and her attitude towards the diet. She too thought it was boring and at the age of 30 she died. it all started with high blood reading usually round the 16 - 22 mark, always hihg with the occasional hypo no normal readings. First she began to lose her eyesight, then she developed kidney failure and still she refused to correct her ways of eating.

Her kidneys failed fully and she was registered blind, she could not go on the transplant list as they found out she also needed a triple heart bypass whihc she refused as she was 'scared of dying'after another twelve months she began to get a pain in her leg, 6 months later i found out about it went back up to scotland and took her to the hospital, the following day the lower half of her leg was amputated.
3 weeks after that the stump would not heal so the amputated futher up towards her hip by this time she was very ill and couldn't eat. After her third neckline was put in she developed septicaemia and died 3 days later of septic shock.

Now 2 years later we have just discovered that my daughter is type 1 diabetic.

to any other diabetic type 1 or 2 who is f****** about with there diet or insulin the above can and will happen to you. i know i may be lecturing a bit, but diabetes can be controlled and you can lead a full life there is no need to waste it like my sister did. But it all comes down to your attitude.

erica
Old Jan 30th 2004, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Geez...thats stopped me craving a cadburys flake!!

Very sorry to hear about your sister Tootated.

Being good ALL the time is not that easy, afterall, we are human, but being reckless is avoidable.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 12:54 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Tootated is right.
Better bite the bullet and live sensibly.
I hope people don't have to learn the hard way.

Good luck

G