Diabetics

Old Dec 7th 2003, 5:01 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Err thanks Kara..... I think.

No but really Thanks to you all, I have taken notice and as of tomorrow morning I will change my diet, funny thing tho I have been using Canderel on me cornflakes and today tested my blood before and 2 hours after I was 13 before first thing in the morning, then 2 hours later up to 16.8 and all i had was cornflakes with canderel on so whats wrong there?

Anywho gonna have a nice chicken Vindaloo tonight and a beer or two and say goodbye to the sweet life.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by paulf

No but really Thanks to you all, I have taken notice and as of tomorrow morning I will change my diet, funny thing tho I have been using Canderel on me cornflakes and today tested my blood before and 2 hours after I was 13 before first thing in the morning, then 2 hours later up to 16.8 and all i had was cornflakes with canderel on so whats wrong there?

Anywho gonna have a nice chicken Vindaloo tonight and a beer or two and say goodbye to the sweet life.

Paul

Cornflakes already have heaps of sugar on them before you add anything! Also if you have bee naughty for a while the blood sugar readings will still be high for a while.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cornlakes have quite high sugar content and your body absorbs it quite quickly, I find porrige works well as it releases the sugar slowly over the day.

Its all a bit complex, the best bet is ask your doctor if you can see a dietician, I know it sounds a bit girly wimpy, but once you have it explained to you, its quite easy to understand how it works, and have the odd beer and curry will be no problem.

If I was going for a curry or somthing that I knew was a high sugar content I increase my insulin, dont know if you can do that as a type 2 a friend of mine is type 2 and on tablets, she splits the medication up and has half in morning half at lunch and full one in evening.

The old diabetes is a bit like coming to Oz, everyone is different and what works for some does not work for others. Bit of a balancing act.

Would defo try a dietician though, took me 4 years to go!! wish I had done so a lot sooner. Once you understand the b****ks you will find you can pretty much eat what you like.

Trust me I am not a doctor take a look at http://www.nottinghamdiabetes.nhs.uk/ very informative.

Last edited by karawara88; Dec 7th 2003 at 5:27 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 5:36 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Paulf,
If Im teaching my granny to suck eggs, just tell me - but have you looked at www.diabetes.org.uk ? if you click on the 'managing diabetes' at the top it explains about carbohydrate value of foods and will make it a bit clearer why cornflakes send your bm high!
and as karawara says - go see a dietician!! Your gp should refer you!
do a google search - there are thousands of sites out there who can give you advice on diet etc, so that you can adjust things without sacrificing anything.

sue:lecture:
Old Dec 7th 2003, 6:54 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, had a look at those sites and found some useful info,
Old Dec 11th 2003, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Found out today that Hypostop (as reccomended earlier) is not available in Australia.

Went to Doctor yesterday and got a prescription for medisense blood test strips, he bulk billed so no payment, and the script was for 6 * 100 strips @ $23.50 per 100. So overall not a bad deal.

Anyone coming out to Australaia would do well to check that your barnd of medication is available here and check with whatever association ie. Diabetics. to see if your brand is avaiable on PBS (prescription benefit service) which will make it much cheaper.

Example blood test strips $67 per 100 but because its covered by PBS only $23.50
Old Jan 28th 2004, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Spooky_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Majj
Hi,

Does anybody know what the costs of something like metformin are in Oz? Also how much does six monthly check ups work out at?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Majj
I would also like to know this if anyone has the info. I am on Metformin 500g daily (2 tablets).
Anyone know cost of this over there or if you can claim back on medicare or not ?

Obviously its free over here so might make a big difference!

Thanks...
Old Jan 29th 2004, 4:17 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Please listen to Kara, TWT, and PP. But it is not about depriving yourself of food you like. It is everything in moderation. Why not have a look at a book called The Gi Diet By Rick Gallop. Not ness from the point of weight loss but it is very easy to follow it is devided into red yellow and green foods like the traffic light system. The more uncontrolled your blood sugar remains the more medication you will need and this could mean insulin as well.
By the way the Gi diet recommends a glass of red wine aday so it cant be that bad can it. (Sorry like TWT I'm a nurse to)
Old Jan 29th 2004, 4:32 pm
Go Banana's !!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by paulf

been using Canderel on me cornflakes and today tested my blood before and 2 hours after I was 13 before first thing in the morning, then 2 hours later up to 16.8 and all i had was cornflakes with canderel on so whats wrong there?

Please, read up on this and get more information :lecture: .
I work as a Nutritionist for a group of care homes and deal with this on a daily basis. One thing that you might not have realised is that you have to keep an eye on your 'Carbohydrate' levels (cornflakes, white rice, pasta, pastry, white bread etc). Carbs when digested convert into sugar in your blood. Which is why the corflakes may not have helped.

Please get a Nutritionist or a Dietician to help you. Diabetic foods, as others have said are a waste of time, it can be managed with the right selection of 'normal' foods.

Don't mean to harp on, but as I deal with the elderly I have seen what damage can be done if this isn't managed properly. Information and attertudes to this have moved on a pace in recent years and there is alot you can do without you having to suffer.

Hope you get it sorted

Jill

Old Jan 29th 2004, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Go Banana's !!

been using Canderel on me cornflakes and today tested my blood before and 2 hours after I was 13 before first thing in the morning, then 2 hours later up to 16.8 and all i had was cornflakes with canderel on so whats wrong there?

Please, read up on this and get more information :lecture: .
I work as a Nutritionist for a group of care homes and deal with this on a daily basis. One thing that you might not have realised is that you have to keep an eye on your 'Carbohydrate' levels (cornflakes, white rice, pasta, pastry, white bread etc). Carbs when digested convert into sugar in your blood. Which is why the corflakes may not have helped.

Please get a Nutritionist or a Dietician to help you. Diabetic foods, as others have said are a waste of time, it can be managed with the right selection of 'normal' foods.

Don't mean to harp on, but as I deal with the elderly I have seen what damage can be done if this isn't managed properly. Information and attertudes to this have moved on a pace in recent years and there is alot you can do without you having to suffer.

Hope you get it sorted

Jill

Hello Jill,

I am hoping you can help me. I am currently on high doses of metformin and gliclazide daily.
I am having real problems at the moment because i am trying to lose weight. I have found that due to the reduction of food intake, i am feeling really lethargic and tired all the time. I was wondering if it is because the amount of meds i am taking i now too high??? metformin 1000mg twice daily...gliclazide 160mg twice daily.
I cant go to the doc until i get my medicare card (should be within the next 4 weeks) so any advice i would really appreciate.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 7:08 pm
?????????

Darn! this post has come back to bite me again, More nurses too telling me off which I would quite enjoy in other circumstances (yes mistress matron I have been bad).
But I have started a diet and the blood is coming down abit, BUT i did,nt know all that stuff about carbs and what foods they are in and I feel depressed abit now.
I have cut loads of foods out too
Sod it I,m going on the atkins diet.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 7:29 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Darn! this post has come back to bite me again, More nurses too telling me off which I would quite enjoy in other circumstances (yes mistress matron I have been bad).
But I have started a diet and the blood is coming down abit, BUT i did,nt know all that stuff about carbs and what foods they are in and I feel depressed abit now.
Sorry but I am another Nurse.
As has been said the only real way to control Type2 diabetes without medication is through Diet and excersise.
It may be that it is less easy to get into such a routine in hot climates or maybe it is just the change in circumstances.

Another problem that can ocurr in heat is that the body finds it less easy to deal with beta blockers.Another thing to bear in mind.
A 'double whammy' if you have Diabetes AND Hypertension.

Get moving

G
Old Jan 29th 2004, 7:51 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

No thats not the way to go. Ring your diabetic nurse, if you don't have one ring GP surgery and ask for a referal to the diabetic dietitian. They can at least advice you.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

Anybody had their flu jab this/last year and found that it hasn't worked?
Old Jan 30th 2004, 10:50 am
Go Banana's !!

No No No No please don't do that !!!!!:scared: I said cut down / watch not cut out it's all about balance. Only saw this post this morning. Please please do not do the Atkins diet you'll end up in a bloody coma !!!

Go and see a dietician for a health balanced diet with moderate excersise.

Jill
:scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.