Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

diabetes prescription cost?

diabetes prescription cost?

Old Dec 2nd 2005, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

spudulike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default diabetes prescription cost?

Hi my son has type one diabetes and suddenly wondered willhe get his syringes and insulin free over there or do I have to pay and if so anyone know how much!

Ta!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 2:57 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: diabetes prescription cost?

Check out this site,
http://www.realitycheck.org.au/
lots of D info,
as far as I know needles are free, but insulin is not.
ALSO check out what kind of insulin he's on, if it's a mix like novamix it's available BUT some insulins are not yet available in OZ.
Australia is WAYyyyyy behind the UK and The USA with licensing drugs and Insulin is just one of a number of items not yet approved by PBS, main Insulins which are prescribed here such as Lantus & Levemir (the one I use) are not approved for licensed in OZ.
So you will need to register with a Endocrinologist who issues prescriptions for your Insulin and if it's Lantus or Levemir or indeed any long acting insulin you will need to trump up the bucks.
It aint the best place in the world to be Diabetic, here in the UK we get free prescriptions, free feet checks, free eye checks and free diabetic support nurses, Australia lacks that for now at least.