Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

diabetes insulin dependent

diabetes insulin dependent

Old Feb 4th 2005, 7:50 pm

byronjames is an unknown quantity at this point
Question diabetes insulin dependent

We are currently investigating moving to Australia and have some questions concerning heath care for our two children who are both diabetic type 1.

We have obtained some great info from the forum, which has given us fresh hope indicating that migration is possible but would like to get an idea as to the cost of health care.

We understand that it's possible to get subsidised prescriptions for insulin and that we are eligible to obtain cover under the reciprocal arrangements with the UK, however, it's less clear what the position is with syringes, needles and test strips?

Any comments from first hand experience would be great. Also any feedback on whether it's possible to obtain private cover bearing in mind it's a pre existing condition.

Apologies for the length of the post!

Baz and family
Old Feb 8th 2005, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: diabetes insulin dependent

Originally Posted by byronjames
We are currently investigating moving to Australia and have some questions concerning heath care for our two children who are both diabetic type 1.

We have obtained some great info from the forum, which has given us fresh hope indicating that migration is possible but would like to get an idea as to the cost of health care.

We understand that it's possible to get subsidised prescriptions for insulin and that we are eligible to obtain cover under the reciprocal arrangements with the UK, however, it's less clear what the position is with syringes, needles and test strips?

Any comments from first hand experience would be great. Also any feedback on whether it's possible to obtain private cover bearing in mind it's a pre existing condition.

Apologies for the length of the post!

Baz and family
REPLY:
Hi Baz,
My son is also type 1 dependent. From what I found out Insulin and needles are free, test strips and others have a small change.
Look at www.hic.gov.au
www.jdf.org.au (diabetes org)

I have found it quite difficult to find out lots, but one of my best friends has a newphew who is type 1 and she says that she doesn't pay for anything.
Good luck
KAZ
Old Feb 9th 2005, 10:45 am

Wink Re: diabetes insulin dependent

:scared:
Originally Posted by kaz Hen
REPLY:
Hi Baz,
My son is also type 1 dependent. From what I found out Insulin and needles are free, test strips and others have a small change.
Look at www.hic.gov.au
www.jdf.org.au (diabetes org)

I have found it quite difficult to find out lots, but one of my best friends has a newphew who is type 1 and she says that she doesn't pay for anything.
Good luck
KAZ
Hi Kaz,

Thanks for the info. Are you in the process of migrating yourself? How far down the path are you?

Baz
Old Feb 9th 2005, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by byronjames
:scared:

Hi Kaz,

Thanks for the info. Are you in the process of migrating yourself? How far down the path are you?

Baz

Hi Baz,
We are looking at Brisbane in Sept 05. As we are NZ citizens we don't have to do the emmigration stuff, lucky eh!
If you find anymore info out that you think could be useful to us could you please pm me with it.
Hope things go well for you
KAZ
Old Feb 9th 2005, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Hi Baz,
We are looking at Brisbane in Sept 05. As we are NZ citizens we don't have to do the emmigration stuff, lucky eh!
If you find anymore info out that you think could be useful to us could you please pm me with it.
Hope things go well for you
KAZ
Hi,

No problem, I think I've got a way to go yet though?

Good luck

Baz