Dettox spray

Old May 21st 2006, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold
Question Dettox spray

I've hunted in all the supermarkets and diy shops/Bunnings etc. but I can't find a substitute for Dettox antibacterial spray. Does anyone know of anything similar? I used to use it all the time on clothes, carpets, everywhere but the only things I can find seem to be orange coloured or has really harsh chemicals. Having 2 kids and 2 dogs in a rental you can imagine what it's like to try to keep it stain-free . Any suggestions would be brilliant.
Tracey
Old May 22nd 2006, 3:39 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dettox spray

Originally Posted by The Johnstons
I've hunted in all the supermarkets and diy shops/Bunnings etc. but I can't find a substitute for Dettox antibacterial spray. Does anyone know of anything similar? I used to use it all the time on clothes, carpets, everywhere but the only things I can find seem to be orange coloured or has really harsh chemicals. Having 2 kids and 2 dogs in a rental you can imagine what it's like to try to keep it stain-free . Any suggestions would be brilliant.
Tracey
Vinegar. I never buy cleaners. In this house, vinegar softens the washing, descales the kettle and iron, cleans hard water stains on saucepans, cleans the washbasins, baths, showers, toilet & toilet seat, tiles, chrome fittings, kitchen work surfaces, kitchen sink, cooker hob, oven door, oven shelves, windows, place mats, furniture, mirrors, all glass surfaces - it is even used in the rinse water for our silver crystal.....

It boasts the same cleaning capabilities as domestos - it kills at least 99% of all known germs. It is biodegradable and will not harm the environment.

And it's cheap.

Case rested.

Sue
Old May 22nd 2006, 5:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Vinegar. I never buy cleaners. In this house, vinegar softens the washing, descales the kettle and iron, cleans hard water stains on saucepans, cleans the washbasins, baths, showers, toilet & toilet seat, tiles, chrome fittings, kitchen work surfaces, kitchen sink, cooker hob, oven door, oven shelves, windows, place mats, furniture, mirrors, all glass surfaces - it is even used in the rinse water for our silver crystal.....

It boasts the same cleaning capabilities as domestos - it kills at least 99% of all known germs. It is biodegradable and will not harm the environment.

And it's cheap.

Case rested.

Sue
I think you need to point out you are talking about white malt and not balsamic for example
Old May 22nd 2006, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

And it's cheap.

Case rested.

Sue
I do use vinegar (and bicarbonate of soda - fantastic!) but I can't bear the smell .
Old May 22nd 2006, 6:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I do use vinegar (and bicarbonate of soda - fantastic!) but I can't bear the smell .
Saw something in Coles today whilst looking for something else - I think it was called Glen20 or similar - seemed to be the same sort of stuff, but don't know for sure because I don't use it or Dettox
Old May 22nd 2006, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

How do you use it? Do you put it in a spray bottle? Do you dilute it with water?

Thanks

And it's cheap.

Case rested.

Sue
Old May 22nd 2006, 1:02 pm

What dilution are you using? A 20% dilution is plenty and that isn't so bad. But it can be a bit pungent at times - I simply add a few drops of essential oils to mine - it disguises it quite well, and it also puts in additional *bug-busting* properties. Essential oils of lemon and eucalyptus are always effective, as is peppermint. I find that around 10-20 drops of oil are adequate for a 500ml spray bottle.
Old May 22nd 2006, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Luma
How do you use it? Do you put it in a spray bottle? Do you dilute it with water?

Thanks
Hi Luma,

Yes, I have about six 500ml plastic spray bottles scattered around the house with vinegar dilutions, and yes, to confirm what Penny said, it is white vinegar. I like buying it in Oz because a 2 litre bottle is easy to come by and quite cheap. Used to buy it in smaller bottles in the UK, and that made it a lot dearer to clean with.

I dilute with water according to the job I'm likely to be doing with it. For general purpose cleaning, a 10% dilution is probably adequate - I'd use this on furniture, for example. You can also mix a little olive oil in the blend to add nourishment to real wood, and some lemon juice, but I've never been brave enough to put oil in too. In the kitchen and bathroom I use 20%-25% dilution, and for cleaning things like bins, I use it neat. Windows come up well with 50% dilution, but less is probably effective. I needed to clean our patio table recently that had been accidentally reticulated and that needed neat application too.
Old May 22nd 2006, 1:08 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I used to use glen 20 in Australia! It can be used as a surface spray or an air neutraliser.

Over here, I used dettox - but I do remember the smell of Glen 20, it had this kind of clean smell.

Old May 22nd 2006, 1:52 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I fill a spray bottle with cold water and add in a few drops of tea tree oi, eucalyptusoil, lemon oil, rosemary and lavender.

Antibacterial and odor killing and it hardly costs me anything at all. Smells lovely and keeps the mozzies out too. Mild enough to use on any surface including material.

The combo also kills headlice if your kids have a prob with it. Those oils in some carrier oil, or put straight into shampoo. Easy!
Old May 23rd 2006, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by iPom
The combo also kills headlice if your kids have a prob with it. Those oils in some carrier oil, or put straight into shampoo. Easy!

Talking about head lice, I saw on another (canine) list that a local dog breeder uses Frontline on her kids (7, 2 and baby) for head lice treatment. I was rather shocked as it's aggressive stuff - but when we did a bit of research on it, it appears that it's licensed for use on humans in France...

In addition to your recommendation for a head lice combo, I'd omit the tea tree and substitute sweet thyme - less aggressive and less likely to be adulterated, imho. I've known kids have very bad reactions to tea tree oil in nit shampoo because it hasn't been therapeutic grade.
Old May 23rd 2006, 7:27 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Talking about head lice, I saw on another (canine) list that a local dog breeder uses Frontline on her kids (7, 2 and baby) for head lice treatment. I was rather shocked as it's aggressive stuff - but when we did a bit of research on it, it appears that it's licensed for use on humans in France...

In addition to your recommendation for a head lice combo, I'd omit the tea tree and substitute sweet thyme - less aggressive and less likely to be adulterated, imho. I've known kids have very bad reactions to tea tree oil in nit shampoo because it hasn't been therapeutic grade.

I only get Thursday Plantation Tea Tree, which is very good - no problems so far. I also use their shampoo

The French use Frontline...? That explains it!
Old May 23rd 2006, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all the tips guys . I've bookmarked this page for reference.

Frontline for kids??!!?? They'll have to get in line after the dogs then
Tracey