Reload this Page >

Details about 457 Visa, plz?

Details about 457 Visa, plz?

Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

dr_jan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Details about 457 Visa, plz?

Dear moderators and fellow members

Before I ask/say anything I must admit that this is an awesome forum and I was looking for exactly something like this.

It has really increased my morale. Before I put up my query I would like to put in my case details. I am a doctor by profession ( Sorry to say guys, but couldn't find a single post of a visa detail about a Doc).

Anyways, I have been offered a job in a Regional Hospital near Melbourne and they would be nominating me for a 457 Visa ( I believe they already have a currently running sponsorship but not sure...). The HR people have already initiated this week, the formalities though the job starts from first week of December.

Though I have read Booklet 11, Form 1196 and 1066 on the DIMIA website but still apprehensive about the whole procedure.Have lot of queries.Dont know where to start.Would appreciate if you advice me on the following:

1. How much time does the whole procedure takes?
2. I understand that I would be needing a health check up but when would I need to undergo that?
3. Is getting a PCC a must for all 457 Visa applicants or is it optional? How to get a PCC from my country(I stay in New Delhi). When should I apply and how long does that take?
4. What is frontloading application with Medical and PCC?

Some of my queries would be quiet naive but cant help it . Hope you would understand.

Please advice

Cheers
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

mattc1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Details about 457 Visa, plz?

Originally Posted by dr_jan

Before I ask/say anything I must admit that this is an awesome forum and I was looking for exactly something like this.

It has really increased my morale. Before I put up my query I would like to put in my case details. I am a doctor by profession ( Sorry to say guys, but couldn't find a single post of a visa detail about a Doc).

Anyways, I have been offered a job in a Regional Hospital near Melbourne and they would be nominating me for a 457 Visa ( I believe they already have a currently running sponsorship but not sure...). The HR people have already initiated this week, the formalities though the job starts from first week of December.

Though I have read Booklet 11, Form 1196 and 1066 on the DIMIA website but still apprehensive about the whole procedure.Have lot of queries.Dont know where to start.Would appreciate if you advice me on the following:

2. I understand that I would be needing a health check up but when would I need to undergo that?
3. Is getting a PCC a must for all 457 Visa applicants or is it optional? How to get a PCC from my country(I stay in New Delhi). When should I apply and how long does that take?

Some of my queries would be quiet naive but cant help it . Hope you would understand.

Please advice

Cheers
I'm in the middle of the process at the moment, but the company I'm going to work for have appointed someone to do the donkey work for me, so it's going pretty smoothly so far. Touch wood.

Once you submit the application form and send off any supporting documentation, it seems to take around 4-5 weeks for the visa to be granted.

I only had to get a chest x-ray but presumably as a doctor you'd have to get a full medical. There are a list of approved doctors here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/overseas/i/index.htm

Don't know what a PCC is (police check?) so can't help, sorry.

The first stage is to fill in the online form that I guess your prospective employers will send you.

best of luck
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:47 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Please advice

Cheers
If they already have sponsorships running, it saves the employer a lot of paperwork in the first place. As for time, from start of application to finish it should only be about 4-5 weeks from what I have read for a trouble free application.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks a lot mattc,well PCC is a Police Clearance Certificate.would appreciate if could throw some light on that also. Is it mandatory to produce a PCC for all 457 applicants.

Cheers
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks furkew

Does my job starting in Dec this year delay my visa granting process. I mean the hospital would be telling DIMIA that I would be starting in Dec.Does that prolongs the whole process.

Cheers
Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:55 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks furkew

Does my job starting in Dec this year delay my visa granting process. I mean the hospital would be telling DIMIA that I would be starting in Dec.Does that prolongs the whole process.

Cheers
I cannot imagine it would.

They make the application, you apply at the same time. Visa accepted, job done.

You don't have to start immediately as far as I know, you just need guaranteed work.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:05 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Are you aware that the 457 is only a temporary visa? You should have a good read of this thread which outlines some of the problems that 457 visa holders have encountered:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357804

Why are they not sponsoring for a permanent visa?

If your medical qualifications are recognised in Australia, you may also be able to sort out your own permanent resident visa. Visit the DIMA website and also http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au
Old Jul 27th 2006, 12:50 pm
Nothing is Free!

Location: Seacliff Park, Adelaide. Call in for a drink and a bbq if your passin'
Rachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks a lot mattc,well PCC is a Police Clearance Certificate.would appreciate if could throw some light on that also. Is it mandatory to produce a PCC for all 457 applicants.

Cheers
We didnt need pcc's done for our 457 visas, we had them done anyway, cos they are valid for 12 months, so when we apply for permanent we already have them.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 12:51 pm
Nothing is Free!

Location: Seacliff Park, Adelaide. Call in for a drink and a bbq if your passin'
Rachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
Are you aware that the 457 is only a temporary visa? You should have a good read of this thread which outlines some of the problems that 457 visa holders have encountered:

If your medical qualifications are recognised in Australia, you may also be able to sort out your own permanent resident visa. Visit the DIMA website and also http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au
We havent had any bad experiences on our 457's its a quick way to get into Oz
Old Jul 27th 2006, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

picaso is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Details about 457 Visa, plz?

Hi there!
I am quite new to this forum.I am also a Doctor by profession and going to Australia on 457 visa.I checked the e-visa status and it says health requirements of my wife and daughter have been finalized but for me it says,still outstanding.
Can anybody tell me what does it mean and how long can it take to clear.
Once health requirement of all the applicants have been finalized,how long can it take for a decision to make about visa approval.
Thanks!!!
Old Jul 27th 2006, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

I think this thread was one of the first I ever read on this site ... and thanks to that and further reading we went for RSMS instead, which is a permanent residency visa - currently taking just 6-8 weeks to process so not really a lot longer than 457 and sooooo many benefits!

Good luck though to all those on 457s.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

GreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud of

Please advice

Cheers
Hi and welcome!

Getting a PCC is not required for a 457 visa.
You will have to undergo the health check (full medical incl xray of lung, medical examination, blood test...) as soon as the case officer asigned to you asks you to. As 457 visas are processed pretty quickly, I would recommend "frontloading" (still only my opinion). this means to have the meds done and sent to LCU (the authority for medicals in Sydney for 457 visas) before you are asked to do so by your CO.

Good luck!

GS
Old Jul 28th 2006, 1:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachel & Paul
We havent had any bad experiences on our 457's its a quick way to get into Oz

Plenty of other 457 visa holders have ended up on a one-way flight home whether they liked it or not. All you need is something to go wrong, job doesn't work out, someone in family gets sick, you or your employer doesn't meet skill or training requirements for permanent visa, whatever => end result is a refused PR visa and a trip home.

And that's before any of the other nasty surprises lurking through higher health/education costs, lack of benefits etc.