Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Destitute: asylum seekers pushed on to the street by an official letter

Wikiposts

Destitute: asylum seekers pushed on to the street by an official letter

Old Aug 17th 2003, 10:04 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Destitute: asylum seekers pushed on to the street by an official letter

Originally posted by pommie bastard
......Blah, blah, blah..............
Asylum Problem 'Out of Control'

A MAJORITY of Britons believe the Government's immigration and asylum policy is too lax, according to a new poll.

The YouGov survey found that 82 per cent of those questioned thought the Government's policies on immigration and people who sought asylum in Britain were "not tough enough".

Only 8 per cent considered the balance "about right", while 6 per cent considered the Government's approach "too tough" and 4 per cent did not know.

The poll showed growing concern about the issue among the electorate. Asked which are the most important political issues facing the UK, 39 per cent identified immigration and asylum seekers, compared with 32 per cent who cited law and order, 9 per cent who said the war on terrorism and the 6 per cent who focused on the euro.

Some 80 per cent of those polled agreed with the statement that "the problem of asylum seekers is out of control".

And asked whether all immigrants should be tested for infectious diseases as part of the immigration process, an overwhelming 86 per cent agreed, with only 7 per cent disagreeing.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Did you know there were more people from the United Kingdom and USA illegally in Australia from overstayed visas as at 31 December 1998 than the total number of boat people who have arrived here in the past 10 years?
Bloody good point PB !!!!!

Australia is absolutely crawling with illegal poms who come here and overstay their visitors visas because they have some sort of bizarre sense of entitlement that this country is an extension of the Motherland.

The latest riot at Baxter was instigated by a Pom who got pissed off because he thought he was above being imprisoned with all the other illegal immigrants and asylum seekers.

What pisses ME off is you people who live in peace and prosperity and still believe you are entitled to seek a better life somewhere else. So what gives you the right to deny somebody else who lives in a state of war and poverty that same opportunity ?

I am afraid that the lack of education of many of the posters on this forum is painfully evident.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 3:51 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Sunlover

I am afraid that the lack of education of many of the posters on this forum is painfully evident.
I know, but don't feel too embarrassed about it. If you read all the posts about the subject, you'll find that nobody is against any genuine assylum seekers. But, like anything, you do find the people who abuse the system, and it is these people who are costing the country millions every day. This is not about race, as I have described in a previous thread, but about a drain on our resources. Genuine assylim seekers would be happy in the first safe country they find, not the 17th, just because it pays them more.

What you will find in PB's posts are words taken out of context and even his own words inserted into 'quotes' as well as a lot of scaremongering. Basically, he is trying to put us all off coming but is failing miseralbly. All we are trying to do, is make him aware that the same problems will be waiting for him on his return to the UK.

Personally, I think you are one of the better 'posters / informers' on here, but I have to disagree with you on this, I think we are entitled to try and live and where we want as long as we do it properly, but I do agree that we don't have a 'goddamn right' to. I am sure you and your family followed the right procedure when you moved to Oz, no matter how long ago it was. After all, the only people with a true right are the Aborigines.

Last edited by SteveBannister; Aug 18th 2003 at 3:54 am.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 5:19 am
Badge

<quote>
Australia is absolutely crawling with illegal poms who come here and overstay their visitors visas because they have some sort of bizarre sense of entitlement that this country is an extension of the Motherland.

What pisses ME off is you people who live in peace and prosperity and still believe you are entitled to seek a better life somewhere else. So what gives you the right to deny somebody else who lives in a state of war and poverty that same opportunity ?<quote>

Fantastic post sunlover and very true. Poms, Irish overstay in their thousands!!! my uncle who migrated 20 yrs ago still maintains that living in Australia is his "right" - some sort of "commonwealth" right of abode etc

As for your second point, I half to admit I am not migrating for a better life but to live in a country that feels more like home - its a "spiritual", "family" move not a financial one. you could take away weather and beaches and I would still move to Australia because of the people. Its like making friends :you gravitate to the people you share attitudes and interests with. Sod all to do with money etc.

I look at some of the houses and locations where people live of the brits that post here - etc and they have more than I'd ever have here!! does make you wonder sometimes!!

badgers

Old Aug 18th 2003, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

onetwothree is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by SteveBannister
What you will find in PB's posts are words taken out of context and even his own words inserted into 'quotes' as well as a lot of scaremongering.
Very true indeed.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 1:30 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by SteveBannister

What you will find in PB's posts are words taken out of context and even his own words inserted into 'quotes' as well as a lot of scaremongering. Basically, he is trying to put us all off coming but is failing miseralbly. All we are trying to do, is make him aware that the same problems will be waiting for him on his return to the UK.

Personally, I think you are one of the better 'posters / informers' on here, but I have to disagree with you on this, I think we are entitled to try and live and where we want as long as we do it properly, but I do agree that we don't have a 'goddamn right' to. I am sure you and your family followed the right procedure when you moved to Oz, no matter how long ago it was. After all, the only people with a true right are the Aborigines.

Put these good people off never , more that leave the UK the better off the country will be , shame is Australia excepts over 100,000 immos a year and only 13,000 of them are Brits,

Old Aug 18th 2003, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Yes I did find out too late from a friend who had the same problem that had I just got him out here they would have been no problem getting the Visa this end , as he had with a grown up child , unlike going through immo house in London.

So can I gather from your posts on this subject that the people in the UK are wasteing their time applying for PR, they should just get a holiday visa and come on out here, find a job and everything will be fine.

If they are caught they will get a slap on the wrist, told not to do it again and then be given PR after a quick trip back to Blighty and back again.

I always thought you were living in a dream world now know you are.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 2:12 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
So can I gather from your posts on this subject that the people in the UK are wasteing their time applying for PR, they should just get a holiday visa and come on out here, find a job and everything will be fine.

If they are caught they will get a slap on the wrist, told not to do it again and then be given PR after a quick trip back to Blighty and back again.

I always thought you were living in a dream world now know you are.
Think what you want , people are doing that , have you any mates at all?
One friend bought both her grown up children out and apllied in Perth for them to be given Visas and never had a problem .

Last edited by pommie bastard; Aug 18th 2003 at 2:15 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Think what you want , people are doing that , have you any mates at all?
One friend bought both her grown up children out and apllied in Perth for them to be given Visas and never had a problem .
Everything I've heard or read contradicts what you are saying

The number of overstayers at 30 June 2002 was estimated to be 60,000. This is the same number estimated at 30 June 2001.

The term ‘overstayer’ is used to describe people who remain in Australia unlawfully after their visas expire and become unlawful non-citizens.

In 2001-02 there were 10,894 removals of persons who had no authority to remain in Australia. This is an increase of 14.4 per cent compared with the 2000-01 figure of 9,523

Full Story

So in one year they deported nearly 20% of the total no of illegal immigrants. I take it this is pure lies according to the great PB.

If you do a seach the number of individual cases is huge.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 3:16 pm
Banned

Everything I've heard or read contradicts what you are saying

The number of overstayers at 30 June 2002 was estimated to be 60,000. This is the same number estimated at 30 June 2001.

The term ‘overstayer’ is used to describe people who remain in Australia unlawfully after their visas expire and become unlawful non-citizens.

In 2001-02 there were 10,894 removals of persons who had no authority to remain in Australia. This is an increase of 14.4 per cent compared with the 2000-01 figure of 9,523

Full Story

So in one year they deported nearly 20% of the total no of illegal immigrants. I take it this is pure lies according to the great PB.

If you do a seach the number of individual cases is huge.
20% of 60,000 is 12,000 of known illegals in each year so they are leaving 48,000 alone every year.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Aug 18th 2003 at 3:55 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

20% of 60,000 is 12,000 of a known illegals in each year so they are leaving 48,000 alone every year.

WRONG 60,000 is the estimated total no of overstayers in Australia at that particular time, not that arrived in that year the TOTAL.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 3:57 pm
Banned

WRONG 60,000 is the estimated total no of overstayers in Australia at that particular time, not that arrived in that year the TOTAL.
That year is quoted not a runing total.

Old Aug 18th 2003, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

That year is quoted not a runing total.

Where does it say that, it located 17,307 overstayers in the year 2000/01 but the total no of people without a valid visa is 60,000.

I can work it out very eaisly as all arrivals by plane are entered on a computer with their length of Visa, when they leave their visa is cancalled and so it is trivial to discover those here who have overstayed their visa.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 4:12 pm
Banned

Where does it say that, it located 17,307 overstayers in the year 2000/01 but the total no of people without a valid visa is 60,000.

I can work it out very eaisly as all arrivals by plane are entered on a computer with their length of Visa, when they leave their visa is cancalled and so it is trivial to discover those here who have overstayed their visa.
You may have a point I hope that you are not one , and this is why I have met many in Perth.

Katrina Bolton: Forget images of boats, headscarves and beards. Most 'illegals' living in Australia didn't sail across the seas. They came in through the airport, and stayed long after their visas expired. There are more than 60,000 of them, and they're living amongst us. They're our friends, neighbours, colleagues, lovers, or just those faces we pass on the street.

This is Background Briefing on Radio National; I'm Katrina Bolton.

The largest group among these 'illegals', more than 10,000 in all, came from the United Kingdom. And that's where Raymond is from. He headed to Australia for a holiday and stayed for 14 years before the Immigration Department came knocking. He was in Villawood detention centre when he spoke with Background Briefing by phone.

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/bbing...es/s475029.htm

Last edited by pommie bastard; Aug 18th 2003 at 4:15 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 4:29 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

(Note that there are approximately 200,000 people who were British subjects in 1984 and who have retained the right to vote in Australian elections without being an Australian citizen - but this group is gradually decreasing.)

There are over 900,000 permanent residents who, while residentially eligible, have not yet sought to become Australian citizens.

Australia Day and Australian Citizenship

How many Pommie Bastards with PR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.