Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Destination Canberra (hopefully)

Destination Canberra (hopefully)

Old Jun 18th 2009, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

paulimouse has a brilliant futurepaulimouse has a brilliant futurepaulimouse has a brilliant futurepaulimouse has a brilliant futurepaulimouse has a brilliant futurepaulimouse has a brilliant futurepaulimouse has a brilliant future
Default Re: Destination Canberra (hopefully)

Hi Sam,

We applied for ACT 176 visa (Office Manager) beginning of June too. We have two young kids. Just starting to look into schools, areas etc.... What visa have u applied for and when do you plan on moving? PLease share any useful info you find......

Thanks
Old Jun 18th 2009, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

The Booths has a brilliant futureThe Booths has a brilliant futureThe Booths has a brilliant futureThe Booths has a brilliant futureThe Booths has a brilliant futureThe Booths has a brilliant futureThe Booths has a brilliant futureThe Booths has a brilliant future

Hiya

We (me, hubby and 2 girls age 2 and 6) applied in March 09 for ACT SS (office manager!!!) approved on 5th June and applied for our 176 online on 8th June - uploaded all our docs - apart from the meds etc, gonna wait until we get a CO rather than rush - not sure what 1st July will bring.

Not sure where to live but we are meeting up with the ACT ladies at the end of the month so hopefully will get a great insight to ACT/Canberra 1st hand.

Keep in touch with how your getting on - would be great to talk through our journeys

Sam
Old Jun 19th 2009, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

Originally Posted by quoll
However the Monaro and the Tuggeranong parkway arent the best roads to negotiate in the rush hour
Working in Symonston means I use both daily

Last edited by Graham and Maria; Jun 19th 2009 at 2:50 am.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Booths
Hiya

Hubby is a football coach - does anyone know how hard/easy it is to find a club/team to work with?

Sam
Define football lol, in Canberra Ive heard the name used for AFL, and Rugby league/union.

Theres plenty of amature footy (soccer) teams in Canberra and there trying to get 'A' league here but nothings set in stone yet. And since hes a footy fanatic then he better get ready for some late nights lol.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

How's all the ACT type people going??? will be heading that way sometime soon!
Old Mar 15th 2010, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seayork2002
I visit/work in Canberra still. Go up once a month. Still a beautiful place to visit/live. Give me a yell when you arrive, there is a large expat support group going that I started...good for help and stuff

:-)
Old Mar 15th 2010, 9:38 pm
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been swimming in the river at casuarina sands lately... I can't believe it's only 25 minutes from my home in Canberra and it took me years to discover it...
Old Mar 16th 2010, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by copa
I've been swimming in the river at casuarina sands lately... I can't believe it's only 25 minutes from my home in Canberra and it took me years to discover it...
mmm sounds good - I don't even know where that is...let me know so I can go take a look some time
Old Mar 16th 2010, 12:49 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sasbear
mmm sounds good - I don't even know where that is...let me know so I can go take a look some time
look it up on google maps ........out near cotter dam.

Water will start getting cold soon though..
Old Mar 16th 2010, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

look it up on google maps ........out near cotter dam.

Water will start getting cold soon though..
Thanks - will do. May leave the swimming till next summer but it is good to know.

Thanks
Old Mar 16th 2010, 1:36 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seayork2002
I'm heading there with my family during our validation trip in a few weeks time and settling permanently in October/November. I think some of the other posters on this thread will be arriving in the ACT over the next couple of months. Exciting times ahead!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 3:42 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, this looks good . Will take a look when we're there.

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/9868626.jpg

http://members.tip.net.au/~jevans/MD...bah%20Pool.jpg
Old Mar 16th 2010, 3:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by paulry
that photo shows the exact place where i enter the water... there is a small section that is over my head.. but most of the river allows me (6f2i) to comfortably stand..

They have a big sign up as you drive in telling you if it is safe to swim in on the day ... after heaps of rain in a small period (unusual in Canberra) is starts to flow and not safe for casual swimmer and it can get a bit murky..

I've been out there with hundreds of other river users all having a great time splashing around..

there are also free BBQs if you turn left as you drive in..
Old Mar 16th 2010, 4:18 am
Banned

that photo shows the exact place where i enter the water... there is a small section that is over my head.. but most of the river allows me (6f2i) to comfortably stand..

They have a big sign up as you drive in telling you if it is safe to swim in on the day ... after heaps of rain in a small period (unusual in Canberra) is starts to flow and not safe for casual swimmer and it can get a bit murky..

I've been out there with hundreds of other river users all having a great time splashing around..

there are also free BBQs if you turn left as you drive in..
Thanks . Some very good times ahead!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 4:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by paulry
Thanks . Some very good times ahead!
if you like the outdoors the walk up the Square Rock is fun... the track can even be snow covered in winter:
http://www.tams.act.gov.au/__data/as...k_Brochure.pdf

You might also find these sites handy
http://www.tams.act.gov.au/play

http://www.stromloforestpark.com.au/

http://www.corin.com.au/

http://www.tams.act.gov.au/play/park...nature_reserve

etc
etc
etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.