Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Desperately Need Some Help!!!

Desperately Need Some Help!!!

Old Jul 16th 2004, 1:20 pm
I'm PR Now!! Yeah!!

Sam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really nice
Default Desperately Need Some Help!!!

Hi All

Not too sure if anyone is going to be able to help. We have been trying to rehome our two dogs since March this year before we go to Australia on 18/08/2004 with no luck!!!!

Has anyone else had this problem and if so what you had to do?

Getting really desperate now!!

Cheers

Sam & Andy
Old Jul 16th 2004, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperately Need Some Help!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sam&Andy
Hi All

Not too sure if anyone is going to be able to help. We have been trying to rehome our two dogs since March this year before we go to Australia on 18/08/2004 with no luck!!!!

It depends whether you want money for them.

We adopted our dog, a Springer spaniel from the RSPCA in Surrey, is there one near your home? There were a couple of dogs at the kennels that had " owners emigrating " as the reason for needing re homing. You can be assured we were vetted and checked twice before they allowed us to take the dog home and then again 4 months later the inspector visited us to ensure the dog had settled and we all got on- a happy ending.

Good luck -I hope you find a home for your dogs soon. H.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:19 pm
I'm PR Now!! Yeah!!

Sam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really nice

Thanks for your reply H

We have since been in contact with the Leigh Animal Sanctuary near Warrington who have said they can take them - so we are biting the bullet and taking them up today... it's going to be really difficult but we cannot put it off!!

Thanks again

Sam & Andy
Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond repute

When we eventually get to go to Australia for good, we're going to have to re-home our elderly cats. I can't face the thought of them going through another (very long) flight, they're getting on a bit and have already gone through one lot of quarantine when we brought them back to the UK from Belgium - when we took them out there they travelled in the car with us but we had to send them back to the UK alone on a plane and then they had to spend 6 months in quarantine (it was just before the legislation changed). They hated it and I wouldn't put them through it again. And it cost an absolute fortune too, though that's not the issue here. I'd worry the journey would kill them, one of them is a very nervous animal at the best of times. It would be so much better for them to go to a nice home where there are no children (they were never the same since we had our son) and live out their days in comfort. The RSPCA is a good idea, I was thinking of asking our local vets if they can help too, when the time comes for us to leave. It's always a good idea to use a third party in cases like these as they make sure they vet potential owners thoroughly. Good luck to all those in the same position.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

thebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Sam&Andy
Thanks for your reply H

We have since been in contact with the Leigh Animal Sanctuary near Warrington who have said they can take them - so we are biting the bullet and taking them up today... it's going to be really difficult but we cannot put it off!!

Thanks again

Sam & Andy

Hi sam & andy

what dogs are they?
Old Jul 16th 2004, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of

That is my concern too - I would dearly love to bring my cat - and am umming and ahhing (even though it's not an issue yet, we're so early on in the process). But I worry what the journey would do to her, it's such a long way and she does get very easily stressed.

We also moved from Belgium to the UK years ago (when I was a kid) and our cats were rehomed as Mum couldn't put them through quarantine, it would have finished Scooter off, he loved the big outdoors.

If you have a breed of dog (or cat) it is worth asking the breed club to help.

Many breed clubs have a rehoming person who may be able to help you - and they'd vet the new owners.

For cats - The Cats Protection League are also good.

Nikki.x.

Originally posted by Britishaussie
When we eventually get to go to Australia for good, we're going to have to re-home our elderly cats. I can't face the thought of them going through another (very long) flight, they're getting on a bit and have already gone through one lot of quarantine when we brought them back to the UK from Belgium - when we took them out there they travelled in the car with us but we had to send them back to the UK alone on a plane and then they had to spend 6 months in quarantine (it was just before the legislation changed). They hated it and I wouldn't put them through it again. And it cost an absolute fortune too, though that's not the issue here. I'd worry the journey would kill them, one of them is a very nervous animal at the best of times. It would be so much better for them to go to a nice home where there are no children (they were never the same since we had our son) and live out their days in comfort. The RSPCA is a good idea, I was thinking of asking our local vets if they can help too, when the time comes for us to leave. It's always a good idea to use a third party in cases like these as they make sure they vet potential owners thoroughly. Good luck to all those in the same position.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 6:51 pm
I'm PR Now!! Yeah!!

Unhappy My babies are no longer home with me

What a day, if its not bad enough having to rehome two dogs, one I have had for nearly four years, the other for two years. The Animal welfare centre forgot to mention that I had to pay them 50 quid before they would take the dogs off our hands. So off we troll to the centre two dogs in the back of the car, 40 minutes later, we arrive only to be told of the money!

Ok, so they forgot, so I had to wait there for over an hour while my wife drove back (no doubt not observing speed limits because they also said they shut at 5.30pm) to go and get some money.

The longest hour ever, I just wanted to get home and drown my sorrows.

Munchie - my first ever dog is a Rhodesian Ridgeback Cross and

Rygel - My rascal puppy is a Spaniel cross god knows what.

piccies to come later on

Andy
Old Jul 16th 2004, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of
Default Re: My babies are no longer home with me

I'm sorry to hear they're gone - you must be upset!

But it was for the best - you've saved them a very stressful journey - not to mention when they arrive and the fact that you might have to move around a bit.

I'm sure they'll find a lovely new family to love them

Nikki.x.

What a day, if its not bad enough having to rehome two dogs, one I have had for nearly four years, the other for two years. The Animal welfare centre forgot to mention that I had to pay them 50 quid before they would take the dogs off our hands. So off we troll to the centre two dogs in the back of the car, 40 minutes later, we arrive only to be told of the money!

Ok, so they forgot, so I had to wait there for over an hour while my wife drove back (no doubt not observing speed limits because they also said they shut at 5.30pm) to go and get some money.

piccies to come later on

Andy
Old Jul 16th 2004, 7:19 pm
I'm PR Now!! Yeah!!

Default Thanks to all who replied

Yep, I know I have done the right thing for them. I am sure they will both get a good home. They are trying to get them rehomed together, but both will be ok seperately. anyway, still feel like sh1te and will miss them both.

They both were beautiful dogs and had great characters. I am enclosing two piccies of them, one with my ugly mug on. Rygel was the dog that I didnt want would you believe. I vowed that we wouldnt get any more dogs, but the minute he was thrust into my arms, he stopped trembling and settled down.
We were almost inseparable and the only one out of the two, that I could let off his lead and know 100% he would come back when called. He would fetch my socks for me, even if I didnt need them and would always come up to bed and give me a goodnight kiss, then curl up at the side of the bed and fall asleep.

I will miss all of this and more.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails Desperately Need Some Help!!!-meandrygel.jpg  
Old Jul 16th 2004, 7:21 pm
I'm PR Now!! Yeah!!

Default The Munchie -Ridgeback X

and finally the biggest softy of the lot. 7 Stone of wagging tail and GBH (Grevious Bodily Hugs)
Attached Thumbnails Desperately Need Some Help!!!-themunchie.jpg  
Old Jul 16th 2004, 7:22 pm
I'm PR Now!! Yeah!!

And no, he didnt have a plant growing out of his head....

Just thought I would get that in before someone else did

LOL
Old Jul 16th 2004, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

WOW !, we tarvel on the 16th.
we had a dog ( Henry ) had him for just over a year, got him through an animal concern foundation.
Wife loved that dog ( used to growl like hell at me every time i got in bed and tried to move him the little sod.) and broke her heart to let him go.
Sister in law worked collecting money ( catalogue salwes) and knew an elderly women that dearly missed her dog, seemed like a good choice and it has been, he has every toy a dog could ever want and i don't think she shoves him away shouting " you dirty b@@@@@d " every time he tries to shag her leg.

So i guess, every one is a winner.........................long term.
short term only the new owner wins, because it truly does pull at your heart strings when you give them away.

WQe also had two cats ( from kittens) and had to give them away also, they went to the animal sanctuary in lancaster and i had to drop them off one morning on the way to work, cried all the way, probably the hardest thing i have ever done was walking away from that place looking at them in that damned cage.Since then they have been re-named ( what the hell was wrong with " nescafe" and " Beetroot" ) and appeared briefly on the internet before finding new homes.

We knew ( long term ) that this was the right way to do things but it still felt hard at the time.
My point being, if YOU can't find a suitable home for them then let somebody else, there are plenty of organisations that would gladly take your pets and re-home them for you.

Animal care for example.

You should have a local animal sanctuary and they don't give animals away to just anybody, they are very strict, perhaps this is the way you should go.

All the best in what we KNOW is a distressing time.
Paul
Old Jul 16th 2004, 7:36 pm
I'm PR Now!! Yeah!!

Thanks for that,

even though I am gutted, I do feel I have done the right thing by them, we have been trying for months to organise a new home for them, finaly lost my rag when someone suggested 'putting them down as a last resort'

What kind of country do we live in, a nation of animal lovers...?

Anyways, if I had the cash to take them across to Oz, I would have, but we could only afford the one dog.

Thankfully the girls at the Leigh Sanctuary did say that they wouldnt have any probs finding a good home for them as they were both lovely natured dogs... LOL, they could be little B's at times but, they always made me laugh.

The Sanctuary looked like a hotel more than a kennels, which made me feel a bit happier about it, never the less, I have the memories of them both and their inate ability to crap in the most awkward of places... usually behind the Gate..

Munchie being the worst, he would walk around and leave his ..parcels here there and everywhere. The one thing I wont miss is the farting...boy I taught them well LOL
Old Jul 16th 2004, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

It is a horrible feeling, and just when you think you are over it something happens ( for me it was getting in bed late one night and not having to run the gauntlet with the dog ) that sparks you off again.

at the end of the day, YOU have YOUR reasons, some people are not / haven't gone to aus with lots of money and no problems with taking thier pets with them.

For us, it was a matter of money, plain and simple, burn me at the stake, as much as we cared for our pets it quite simply was not financially viable.

We miss them but try to look at the bigger picture, as long as they are in a good home, that's all that matters to us.

Stick with it and go with a good homing foundation if you can't afford ( etc ) to tske them with you.

Paul
Old Jul 17th 2004, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

thebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: My babies are no longer home with me

piccies to come later on

Andy
Im sorry for you both

i know how you feel we had a ridgeback cross called scooby
and had to have him put to sleep
a few months ago due to cancer
at only 7 !!!!!

keep your chin up

michelle x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.