Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Desperate for Sponsorship !!

Desperate for Sponsorship !!

Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Di_65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Desperate for Sponsorship !!

We're just back from Oz visiting our daughter who now works and lives in Melbourne. Can't tell you how desparate we are to move over to be with her and start a new life over there. We're currently applying for jobs looking for sponsorship (we're both 45 so would need sponsorship to get a 457 visa). We've had no luck so far and wondered if it would be worthwhile signing up to pay one of these sites which offers help finding sponsorship jobs in Australia. My son is also applying for his working holiday visa to go over soon and we can't bare the thought of being left behind as we're all desparate to get out as a family. Any thoughts or help would be really appreciated !!!!
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all
Default Re: Desperate for Sponsorship !!

It can be done, sometimes with a bit of luck.

I am in a similar situation and managed to find a sponsor with my first contact to an employer. I did this whilst on holiday at Christmas as it's alot easier for employers to interview you.

Also bare in mind that the age restriction is increasing in July I beleive, so you may be able to take advantage of that.

Last edited by mvagusta; Apr 19th 2011 at 8:01 pm. Reason: extra info
Old Apr 19th 2011, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply . My husband was in speaking with a few companies when we were over a few weeks ago but there are no relevant positions at the minute although they're keeping in touch so fingers crossed. Didn't realise there was a possible change to the age restriction !!! Will def look into that and really hope it might help us get over.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 8:20 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

If either of you have a skilled occupation you should also look into 119 RSMS and 121 ENS options as well. Both permanent visas but with different criteria. RSMS is easier to get but means you have to live rural for two years. But an hour or two from Melbourne has got to be better than 24! Good Luck!
Old Apr 19th 2011, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

The biggest problem is neither of us currently have a role on the skilled occupation list. My husband's a regional sales manager and I work in Finance. We'll keep trying and applying for jobs though ! Our daughter just got engaged when we were over and wants to marry in Melbourne...I'm on a mission to get there for good !!
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Di_65
The biggest problem is neither of us currently have a role on the skilled occupation list. My husband's a regional sales manager and I work in Finance. We'll keep trying and applying for jobs though ! Our daughter just got engaged when we were over and wants to marry in Melbourne...I'm on a mission to get there for good !!
My occupation isn't on the skilled list either, but I got a job offer and the company is paying for my 457 visa application, so they must be confident that it will get passed. They have done this on many occassions so I believe that they know what they are doing.

Fingers crossed.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

It's great to hear this positive news !! We'll keep applying ! I'll maybe try one of the websites that you can sign up to, which helps you find a job which requires the relevant sponsorship.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Di_65
Thanks for your reply . My husband was in speaking with a few companies when we were over a few weeks ago but there are no relevant positions at the minute although they're keeping in touch so fingers crossed. Didn't realise there was a possible change to the age restriction !!! Will def look into that and really hope it might help us get over.

If you husband is in sales try recruitment for him, I work for a recruitment agency and we have a couple of English people here being sponsored, try the large agencies, sales is sales and recruitment is just selling... Good luck
Old Apr 19th 2011, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that suggestion. Do you think he would be considered for a recruitment role with no previous experience in this profession? I know what you mean about sales being sales though...He's been in the electrical industry all his years but it'd maybe be a great opportunity for a change ! Thanks again
Old Apr 20th 2011, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry i cant answer you question but i was interested in the age change what age limit are they putting it up to ?
Old Apr 20th 2011, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by macy
If you husband is in sales try recruitment for him, I work for a recruitment agency and we have a couple of English people here being sponsored, try the large agencies, sales is sales and recruitment is just selling... Good luck
I would give it a go, you have nothing to loose, our guys in the office have experience but if he has a good track record in sales then the individual companies (Hayes might be worth a shot) and might be willing to give him a go. There is always the contributory parent visa but I am not sure what the work conditions on that are, I am sure you are aware that the 457 visa does come with it's own set of conditions. Hope all goes well.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 3:40 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Sorry i cant answer you question but i was interested in the age change what age limit are they putting it up to ?
The new points system will have no age limit - but once you hit 45 you get 0 points for age.

See http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...oints-fact.pdf

You could potentially get the required pass mark (probably 65 points) with no points for age but it might be tough.

Good luck.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tking
The new points system will have no age limit - but once you hit 45 you get 0 points for age.
My reading of that is that the age limit is going up to 49, not that there's no age limit.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by louie
My reading of that is that the age limit is going up to 49, not that there's no age limit.
I concur. That's what I thought too.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tking

See http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...oints-fact.pdf

You could potentially get the required pass mark (probably 65 points) with no points for age but it might be tough.

Good luck.
This was a great link and provided good info on the changes. Thanks for passing it on !!! Not sure we'd hit the 65 points required but will definitley give it a go after 1 July. Still going to go down the route for sponsorship and apply to as many companies as possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.