Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Desperate to obtain queensland electricians quals

Desperate to obtain queensland electricians quals

Old Feb 6th 2009, 8:59 am
Complete Care Handyman

DHeppleston is a jewel in the roughDHeppleston is a jewel in the roughDHeppleston is a jewel in the roughDHeppleston is a jewel in the roughDHeppleston is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy Desperate to obtain queensland electricians quals

Hi everyone. can anyone help me! I migrated to Oz in June 07 on a skilled visa for a motor mechanic. No problems there(working as one ever since landing!) But my problem is, that for the past 4 years whilst in the UK I was attending college to become an Electrician. I passed my C&G course in June 06 and worked as an electrician up until migrating to Oz. (the course was 236 part 2 evening classes for 3 years) I never obtained a JIB card (never got around to it). I have contacted TRA and they sent me the ARTC forms to complete, BUT they say they won't recognise my C&G qualification unless I have a JIB card for the UK or at least 7 years working history in the UK as an Electrician!
What can I do now. They say I have to either go to Tafe and start a 4 year apprenticeship or try and get some recognition for prior learning and fast track the system! I have not completed the ARTC form as yet, Does anyone know of a way around this or at least a TAFE that will give me prior learning credit! Please help cheers Daz.
Also does anyone know if I am at least VIEWED as competent to be able to carry out electrical repair on my own house!.

Last edited by DHeppleston; Feb 6th 2009 at 9:28 am. Reason: Additional info
Old Feb 6th 2009, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperate to obtain queensland electricians quals

Originally Posted by DHeppleston
Hi everyone. can anyone help me! I migrated to Oz in June 07 on a skilled visa for a motor mechanic. No problems there(working as one ever since landing!) But my problem is, that for the past 4 years whilst in the UK I was attending college to become an Electrician. I passed my C&G course in June 06 and worked as an electrician up until migrating to Oz. (the course was 236 part 2 evening classes for 3 years) I never obtained a JIB card (never got around to it). I have contacted TRA and they sent me the ARTC forms to complete, BUT they say they won't recognise my C&G qualification unless I have a JIB card for the UK or at least 7 years working history in the UK as an Electrician!
What can I do now. They say I have to either go to Tafe and start a 4 year apprenticeship or try and get some recognition for prior learning and fast track the system! I have not completed the ARTC form as yet, Does anyone know of a way around this or at least a TAFE that will give me prior learning credit! Please help cheers Daz.
Yes, the TRA won't assess you unless you have the relevant experience. But speak to these guys who will give you advise on what to do regarding RPL. http://www.qet.edu.au/

But be aware it could mean anything up to 4 years training to be recognised here.

There's an electricians part to the forum, come and join in down there. Lots of people who know a thing or two in there. http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97
Old Feb 6th 2009, 9:56 am
Complete Care Handyman

DHeppleston is a jewel in the roughDHeppleston is a jewel in the roughDHeppleston is a jewel in the roughDHeppleston is a jewel in the roughDHeppleston is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Wendy, I will drop them an email, trying to obtain this recognition is a nightmare! I just dont fancy starting from scratch again if you know what I mean. Is there any work I can do legally as an electrician over here as being a competent person! or do I need quals and a licence? cheers Daz
Old Feb 6th 2009, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

Thanks Wendy, I will drop them an email, trying to obtain this recognition is a nightmare! I just dont fancy starting from scratch again if you know what I mean. Is there any work I can do legally as an electrician over here as being a competent person! or do I need quals and a licence? cheers Daz
Hi i work on the gold coast as diesel tec, the man to ask is steve-o i think thats his screen name on britishexpats seems like the guru on electricians gold coast.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calNgary
Hi i work on the gold coast as diesel tec, the man to ask is steve-o i think thats his screen name on britishexpats seems like the guru on electricians gold coast.

Yep, I agree. Ask Steve 'O, he knows the QLD regs better than I do. I'm the South Australia mini expert
Old Feb 6th 2009, 10:31 am
Complete Care Handyman

Cool Re: Desperate to obtain queensland electricians quals

Hi many thanks calNgary and Wendy will have to contact him tomorrow as I have to wait 24 hours before this site will let me send a private message. (I have only just joined tonight!!).
Old Feb 6th 2009, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi many thanks calNgary and Wendy will have to contact him tomorrow as I have to wait 24 hours before this site will let me send a private message. (I have only just joined tonight!!).

He probably won't be on until then anyway, but I will send him a link to this thread