British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Desktop PC to Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/desktop-pc-oz-402549/)

Wigan Warrior Oct 16th 2006 5:46 pm

Desktop PC to Oz

Hi,

Did anyone take their desktop PC with them to Oz?

Is it as simple as getting new power leads or is it more complicated than that?

I've got a lot of things on my PC and would prefer to take it with me if possible (subject to cost!), but am wondering it would be easier to simply sell it and get a laptop, transferring everything across before hand.

If anyone has taken a desktop with them, did you chuck it in your container or send it separately?

Cheers,
WW

Marcopolo Oct 16th 2006 6:13 pm

Re: Desktop PC to Oz

I'm not sure how easy this is, but I was going to put everything I have onto my 2nd hard drive and link it up with a new one over there.

Marc.

Simba Oct 16th 2006 6:39 pm

We have just scrapped our old Desk top PC and bought a laptop I can take that as hand luggage and start using it straight away when we get out there.
If you ship your desk top PC it will be in a container for about 12 weeks, depends what you use it for but can you manage without it for that long, after all how will you be able to chat on BE. :)
If you do decide to take your desk PC I think it will work fine as you said just change the plugs.

simpy Oct 16th 2006 7:04 pm

Yeah, just change plugs.
But get a laptop as well for reasons stated by OP

wafc Oct 16th 2006 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior
Hi,

I've got a lot of things on my PC and would prefer to take it with me if possible (subject to cost!), but am wondering it would be easier to simply sell it and get a laptop, transferring everything across before hand.

If anyone has taken a desktop with them, did you chuck it in your container or send it separately?

Cheers,
WW

Another pie eater going to Oz!! It seems like all the wiganers are getting out, me included!! ;)

I will be sticking the Desktop PC in the container, will just get Oz plug adaptors or new leads when I get there. I've put all the important stuff that I need on to dvd's and those will be going with me in my case/hand luggage.

You can use the pc's in the libraries over there free of charge so thats what I'll be doing until the pc arrives and I can get it hooked up.

neil.b Oct 16th 2006 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by wafc
Another pie eater going to Oz!! It seems like all the wiganers are getting out, me included!! ;)

I will be sticking the Desktop PC in the container, will just get Oz plug adaptors or new leads when I get there. I've put all the important stuff that I need on to dvd's and those will be going with me in my case/hand luggage.

You can use the pc's in the libraries over there free of charge so thats what I'll be doing until the pc arrives and I can get it hooked up.

Just a word of advice, take your hard drive out and take it as hand luggage. These things don't travel too well and you could end up losing inportant data.

Neil.

cyclemark Oct 16th 2006 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by neil.b
Just a word of advice, take your hard drive out and take it as hand luggage. These things don't travel too well and you could end up losing inportant data.

Neil.

Well mine has been shipped from UK to Australia and back to Switzerland and has been fine. But I did have anything important backed up to cd/dvd/internet, no way I'd let the disc go without having backups.

wafc Oct 16th 2006 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by neil.b

Neil.

Thats a good point though, I may well do that.

neil.b Oct 16th 2006 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by cyclemark
Well mine has been shipped from UK to Australia and back to Switzerland and has been fine. But I did have anything important backed up to cd/dvd/internet, no way I'd let the disc go without having backups.

You did well, I moved house here and lost everthing on one of the kids computers.

Neil.

nik04 Oct 17th 2006 12:53 am

Hi,

Cheers,
WW

I shipped my pc 12months ago and no problems, i bought a portable hdd and backed up all my data and took it on the plane with me :) .Power leads are easy to come by, just shop around because the prices vary wildly. I bought mine in "crazy clarkes" for $2.50 (elcheapo shop).

ohippy Oct 17th 2006 1:58 am

Originally Posted by wafc

The library pc's here aren't free. You have to put dollars into the machine and queue up with all the other people who have left the UK and want to us them which isn't fun if you have kids with you I can tell you.

We shipped PC, all plugs got into my surger protector which I then changed to an Oz plug. You just need to change the internet lead wire or get a connector if you can find one.

Jockstar Oct 17th 2006 8:55 am

I sent 7 boxes that included my desktop via DHL from Bangkok. Cost me 26000 baht(around 300 odd quid) Why not take it by plane with you or send courier?

RooksieJ Oct 17th 2006 9:04 am

Hi,

Cheers,
WW

wish i could answer that one because we took ours on container but we brought it back again before it had chance to see daylight :o :D

Jayniebabes Oct 17th 2006 9:52 am

brought our pc with us and all we use is an adapter to the wall - works perfectly

J

Hi,

Cheers,
WW