Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Designated Area Sponsored - Primary Applicant?

Designated Area Sponsored - Primary Applicant?

Old Mar 5th 2004, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

smithke2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Designated Area Sponsored - Primary Applicant?

Hi all,

My husband hasn't been working in the last 12 months (looking after children !!). However his brother lives in Australia and is sponsoring us. The 47SK form mentions that he must be the primary applicant as a result.

The problem is that I want my skills submitted for this application (as he was out of work). Can we still go down this route even though my husbands doesn't have the required skills as the primary applicant? As the primary applicant, Q54 says not to apply for him.

Hope you can help.

Thanks
Old Mar 5th 2004, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

139 visas state that the primary applicant must be related to the applicant (eg they must be a direct relative) from what i know of this application (we have got our visas under this one) a spouse of the applicant is not valid as they are not related by birth

hope this helps

arlene
Old Mar 5th 2004, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

bored brit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Designated Area Sponsored - Primary Applicant?

Originally posted by smithke2
Hi all,

My husband hasn't been working in the last 12 months (looking after children !!). However his brother lives in Australia and is sponsoring us. The 47SK form mentions that he must be the primary applicant as a result.

The problem is that I want my skills submitted for this application (as he was out of work). Can we still go down this route even though my husbands doesn't have the required skills as the primary applicant? As the primary applicant, Q54 says not to apply for him.

Hope you can help.

Thanks
Hi there you should be able to use this route as we are using the same method to get to melbourne.The wifes uncle is sponsoring us and what we had to do was to get my skills assesed and then use her as the main applicant for the visa. We are using an agent(1st contact) to do it for us and they have been great so far telling us what to do and how to go about it.You could phone an agent up and explain your situation to them and they should be able to assess if you would be eligble to use this route.
Hope this helps you out any and all the best and if you have any more questions fire away
Old Mar 5th 2004, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

smithke2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply Arlene and Bored Brit !

Bored, your right, it sounds exactly like our situation. To make it even weirder, we are heading to Melbourne also !! We were told a long while ago that this was the way to go, but I kida got stuck on Question 54. It wants my husbands occupation information (even though it will be mine that is assessed). But because he is a househusband, he hasn't been assessed (I have). It says for him not to apply.

Just wondered how to fill this bit out. Any ideas ???

Thanks again
Old Mar 5th 2004, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Dilly's is an unknown quantity at this point

We recently got our visas and are off to Brisbane on 12th May. We too were sponsored by my wifes sister although we had my skills assessed.

My wife is therefore the main applicant but the visa in the passport just tells us that we cant go before she does. Lucky that really as I need her to hold my hand on the flight there!!!!

Hope it helps and good luck
Old Mar 5th 2004, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

bored brit is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply Arlene and Bored Brit !

Bored, your right, it sounds exactly like our situation. To make it even weirder, we are heading to Melbourne also !! We were told a long while ago that this was the way to go, but I kida got stuck on Question 54. It wants my husbands occupation information (even though it will be mine that is assessed). But because he is a househusband, he hasn't been assessed (I have). It says for him not to apply.

Just wondered how to fill this bit out. Any ideas ???

Thanks again
I think what you have to do is fill in anything that is related to you but as regards to your husbands bit just leave it out as its not him thats being assesed its you (our agent told us this)and then when you apply for the sponsered bit your husband then becomes the main applicant so was i until our agent explained it all to us.You have to get lots of info copied and cerified i.e. birth marriage certificates etc and your sponsor has to do the same thing.
Where abouts are you hoping to go to in Melbourne if you are successful.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 7:41 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there we are goin on Skilled Designated Area Sponsored....here's what we did....I will try and get it right lol

I am the primary applicant as it is my cousin who is sponsoring us, my husbands skills are being assessed as he is the brainy one, so i just left the skills part on the form blank...and filled in hubbys part well my agent did lol

confused!!! I am
Old Mar 6th 2004, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Designated Area Sponsored - Primary Applicant?

Hi all,

Hope you can help.

Thanks
I was sponsored by my aunt and am primary applicant. My husband was assessed as an electrical engineer. I look after the children however I still put details of my past career on the form and enclosed references and past payslips with a covering note to explain that although we were not claiming 'points' for my skills, I am able to work in a certain field should my husband not be able to obtain employment in his. It may just put their minds at rest. We obtained our visa in Dec 03.

Also it may be worth explaining that your husband does look after the children. An extra expense covered.

You really do not need an agent, it is fairly straight forward and saves you money for your new start.