Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Depression/ Serious Illness - AUSSIES GOV. LOVE THEM?

Depression/ Serious Illness - AUSSIES GOV. LOVE THEM?

Old Dec 31st 2002, 12:55 pm
gle
Forum Regular

gle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Depression/ Serious Illness - AUSSIES GOV. LOVE THEM?

I have notice a user submitted a thread regarding depression but there didn't appear to be any useful input at that time so I will try again because it is a issue that affects a huge porion of the population.

It also is releveant to those having suffered other illness in the past: cancer, for example. I guess the Aussie government need to be careful about health costs etc. :lecture:

It would be useful to get peroples input on this kind of thing rather than discuss about how humid Brisbane is - it has been like that for a few thousand years.

p.s do not reply with thing like 'Chin up' or oh I feel depressed too waiting for my visa - which was the kind of reply the previous thread author. Its like saying to someone with stomach cancer – I have a aching tummy too - I ate too much yeterday!

p.p.s. I do not suffer from depression - honest.

Last edited by gle; Dec 31st 2002 at 3:21 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2002, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Hi Gle

I think you've got a point there! Not sure how useful my viewpoint is since I'm an Aussie citizen by birth, so it may be different for me, but I was diagnosed with breast cancer 2.5 years ago (I lived in the UK)... (this was obviously a major factor in our decision to shake our life up a bit and actually experience another bit of the world..you only live once you know )

Although I don't know what Dimia's stance is on various illnesses re their impact on their health service, I have found the care here brilliant. As soon as I arrived 3 months ago I signed up with a GP, who immediately got me a referral to Royal Perth Hospital where I have already been seen by the senior oncologist. The hospital is a public one so I'm not charged for these visits and they are about to do some tests on me (yuk!) so they can monitor my progress for themselves.

One drawback is that your private healthcare insurance obviously won't cover you for a pre-existing condition so if you did go private you would be looking at stumping up the costs yourself.

Hope this info is the sort you were thinking of!

love sophia xx

ps, doing quite well now...fingers crossed!
Old Dec 31st 2002, 3:24 pm
gle
Forum Regular

gle is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Sophia for your reply. I am sure all reader of this thread wish you the very best in you continuing recovery. You sound strong so I am sure you are determined enough to come out the winner.

You reply has prompted one other question...

If one has/has had an illness if they are allowed into Australia - does it have a National Health system? If so what are the criteria for qualifying for care. If there is no NHS does that mean one would have to take out private health insurance - and at a higher premium due to medical history?
Old Dec 31st 2002, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Hi Gle

Thanks for the good wishes, I must say that all this lovely weather is helping my speedy recovery!!

Australia has a public health system of sorts, but it is in no way any comparison to the NHS system, I believe it is quite basic, although, we haven't had to test it yet!

We have taken out cover with HIF. It is a family gold saver excess $350/$700 hospital and premium options (this is your ancillary services ie: optical/dental/chiropractor/alternative medicines/gym membership etc) policy. The policy has cost us $660.81 per half year for myself, my husband and young son.

There is a 'gap' fee payable usually, I think that's the difference between the cost of...whatever you have done, and what the health care provider pays to cover that cost, so make sure you choose a policy that will best cover your needs. We didn't think we'd need the cover for hip replacements etc yet, so we opted for more ancillary things instead. Bear in mind though, that there is a waiting period before you can claim for most things on your policy. On ours most things are covered after 2 months.

As I said before, my GP immediately referred me to the 'local' public hospital for my cancer care so I guess you just have to make sure you get registered with a good GP who is on the ball.

love sophia xx
Old Jan 1st 2003, 11:36 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Serious Illness I do not have a lot of experience about - Deafness I do. The DIMIA controls are very tight and we were originally refused a temp 457 visa on the basis of the fact my child is partially deaf. We then appealed and provided more information - namely the fact she was attending a main stream school here in Australia with little or no support. Now we are accepted on PR, we will provided free batteries for her hearing aids and checkups with the local deafness centre I am not sure of the total cost or whatever else may be covered. We have still to leave the country and validate our PR. The service here has been very good so far, not as extensive and supportive in school as the UK but provide that extra as parents for the time being. If over time Australia is not the right place for our daughter to be for education and her deafness with medical support then we will move back to the UK - keeping an open mind for now.

On depression - the medical form asks you have you been unable to work because of depression, this is the limiting factor. Depression is regarded as an illness by the immigration process and similiar rules apply to this as any other illness it is assessed at a cost level. So if a person was to be permitted to come to Australia who was likely to need support and benefits because of their illness the possible cost would be assessed. There are no hard and fast rules on apportining those costs. In my daughter medical case it seemed very finger in the air from the details we obtained. In most cases you will not even be given the reasoning behind a medical refusal or any details about the cost assessment. We were just lucky to have had decent advice by George Lombard and we asked for all relevant information on our case under the Freedom of Information Act (Go Aus Rules!) and the assessment costs just happened to be written roughly along the edge of some of the papers we sent in. This allowed us to provide specific further information in support of our Daughters medical case, obviously we are not experts on every situation, just this one.

I have seen on this forum many details about other medical conditions were extra reports and checks are made each experience seems very individual. To the original lady who asked the depression question I wish you the best of luck, medical issues seem a minefield.

Cheers