Depression - NZ

Old Jul 23rd 2003, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

TonyQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Depression - NZ

Hi,

Does anybody know how it could affect a persons chances of getting a visa if they suffer from depression and are on a prescription of Prozac ???

Cheers

Tony
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 6:23 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Depression - NZ

Originally posted by TonyQ
Hi,

Does anybody know how it could affect a persons chances of getting a visa if they suffer from depression and are on a prescription of Prozac ???

Cheers

Tony
No need to mention it. It's a relatively temporary black dog thing for most clinical sufferers. And doesn't really have any expensive implications for the NZ health service (ie what NZIS are worried about.)
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road

Hi
Should not be a problem as a lot of people are on Fluoxetine ( Prozac) and can be used for more indications than depression. As long as your medical was ok and that you are not suffering from anything else serious there should not be a problem!
hope that helps
( p.s. I am a Pharmacist!)
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

i understand nz has the highest male suicide rate -so you' probably fit right on in...;-)

cheers

richard
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

That is such a stupid comment to make.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Cheers

Tony
I thought most people were on it anyway!
Don't worry tho, my doctor who did my NZ medical said it wasn't an issue with the immigration people.

Good luck
Old Jul 24th 2003, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Richard - What a stupid thing to say!

My only constructive comment - unlike the one above would be look after your self when you get there and get some support from a counsellor.

Hope all goes well, try not to worry, depression hits one in four people and can be helped, in the meantime take the crutch you've been given (prozac), take plenty with you if you can and touch base with a doctor as soon as you get there.

Kind regards

T
Old Jul 24th 2003, 7:57 am
jecrossfield

Thanks for your replies, I would hate to have been the reason why me and my husband to be couldn't fulfil our dream of living in NZ and you're right lots of people are on prozac it's nothing to be ashamed of these days.

Cheers,
a much relieved - Jenn

Old Jul 24th 2003, 8:09 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Cheers

Tony
HI,

You'll be fine - I ended up on anti-depressants after a bad car accident stopped me working and caused me to lose my job a few years ago. It's so common these days, that the NZIS probably won't even bat an eyelid.

Good luck, Rich.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jecrossfield
Thanks for your replies, I would hate to have been the reason why me and my husband to be couldn't fulfil our dream of living in NZ and you're right lots of people are on prozac it's nothing to be ashamed of these days.

Cheers,
a much relieved - Jenn
I mentioned it at work after being on it for 6 months and 6 people in my department of 20 told me they were on it too! As you say it's nothing to worry about these days and it's good that we can use something like Prozac etc to get through the dodgier times!

My doc said he'd send me off with lot's of supplies to keep me going until I was settled in and then I could get my NZ doc to reassess me and maybe it would be the right time to come off them.

Anyway Good Luck Jenn,

Karen