Wikiposts

Depression

Old May 19th 2004, 4:35 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: Depression

Originally posted by glhall
Anyone had it. Anyone had it as a result of your move? I went through a bad patch the second half of 2003. never thought it would happen to me as I can be a risk taker and always felt I could handle anything but the pressure of a hard 3 years or so in business got to me. It wasnt like I had lost everything and had nothing to live for - it was an accumulation of stress to the point my brain couldnt let go of it - I took it all on myself and for quite a while I really felt like i didnt want to wake up in the morning. Im OK now - still a bit sensitive but pretty much back to normal. if any of your partners are suffering from depression the best thing you can do is give heaps of love and encouragement - try and shoulder some of the load - too much encouragement is never enough when your'e going through it.

anyway it may have helped prompt the move to Oz and Im looking forward to it. Tickets are booked - we arrive in Bris at 5.10 on July 13.

Graham
Hiya Graham,
I too suffered with depression in the last part of 2003. Mine was a combination of stress at work for months, getting married and then the news of a new arrival whilst I was in the States, stuck in the middle of knowwhere, wondering what it was all for. The health team at work were great and advised me to get help.

Tablets helped, but then again the love from my wife was the biggest thing, being held when you are crying helps. I can't remember what they were, looked them up at the time and they were for depression but I nebver felt addicted to them.

I had 3 months off work and went back in the new year.
Strange to be back after so long out of the office.

I'm enjoying the sunshine at the meoment with my new baby and don't worry about work at all. In fact I'm so happly I invited the mother in law for a 6 month stay and we are all fine together.

I don't think I will ever be the same, I had a long time to reflect on what mattered to me / was important.

I decide that my wife and child were my world and that in future I would work to live and not live to work.

Keep on in there and remember that others suffer with it as well, you are not alone and people love you.

Bye
Mark
Old May 19th 2004, 6:58 am
Bite my shiny metal ass!

treefrog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Alborg
What does it physically feel like?
At the worst, having anyone in the same room - or even the same house - is like having your skin rubbed off with a cheese grater. A friend of mine said it was like being peeled like a grape. Other times all you can think about is ways of killing yourself. When this used to happen to me I used to imagine the trauma to the poor sods who would find my body and I couldn't do it. I'm OK now though - hope your depression never got this bad, Graham!
Old May 19th 2004, 7:13 am
Bite my shiny metal ass!

[i]
Keep on in there and remember that others suffer with it as well, you are not alone and people love you.
I had a stress breakdown about 12 years ago when I was living in Australia, due to a number of bad life-events all piling up at once. For a while I was suicidal. Ever since then I've had periodic phases of mild - moderate depression, every few weeks or months, which are triggered by no specific event. I've had very bad reactions to most prescribed medications, but I found St John's Wort was very effective and had no side effects. I use a liquid herbal extract from Herbal Authority, available from good health shops - 10 drops 3x per day in water. My doctor told me that in trials it was found to operate in a very similar way to Prozac, though, so do consult your doctor or a good pharmacist to find out about possible side-effects or reactions wth other drugs.

I haven't been able to use it while pregnant of course - the best thing to do is to remember that it's a temporary state, you will get better, and to hang on in there. Listen to your favourite music, read a good book, relax in a hot bath, eat chocolate - whatever makes it more bearable. Talk about it with other people if you need to (the samaritans have helped me more than once). And like mark said, remember you are not alone and you are loved.
Old May 19th 2004, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

pagey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pollyana
My friend emigrated to Oz back in 1980, I think he suffered from depression back then too and there was certainly an element of "Australia will solve it". When I first came over and visited him, 5 years ago, he spent so much time telling me how good life is here, and how he loved it, and comparing it to stuff in the UK - looking back, I wonder whether he was trying to convince me, or himself.

He used that quote once too, in one of his more lucid moments. His depression eventually got into a vicious spiral with alcoholism, and he would refuse any help from anywhere. The ironic thing was that he worked in a major hospital, and had so many friends who would have helped him, but he was just determined not to be helped.
Very sad situation - I really feel for anyone going through it, and for their partners and friends.

How is he these days Pollyana?
Old May 19th 2004, 9:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pagey
How is he these days Pollyana?
At the risk of being morbid -

http://67.15.12.206/forum/showthread...t&pagenumber=2
Old May 19th 2004, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

pagey is an unknown quantity at this point

Don`t really know what to say now , so maybe be best saying nothing ..
Sorry pollyana ... i really am
Old May 19th 2004, 9:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Pagey, don't worry. From a few months on I can see that at least he is at peace and not tortured by demons anymore.

Shows how important it is to get help quickly though, before the illness is too far gone. Part of the trouble is that so many people go around saying how "depressed" they are, when really they are just a bit "down". Depression is a serious illness, but because its not "trendy" so many people aren't treated properly.
Old May 19th 2004, 9:19 pm
Location.. in my office

cadabra is an unknown quantity at this point

How right you are Pollyanna. Far too many people who are merely having a bad day use the word "depressed" which totally undermines the severity of it. I think maybe, thats why so many people see it as some kind of imaginary illness and you should just "pull yourself together". My father took that attitude and never spoke to me for nearly 2yrs.

Another side issue i have is the inability by many to use their brain. If someone behaves or acts in a peculiar way, they become fair game to all the verbal and emotional bullies out there. These mental dwarfs do not have the brain power to realise or sense the internal suffering others are going through. If someone aint got a bandage or a plaster on they aint ill.

I say, there but for the grace of god....
Old May 19th 2004, 9:50 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Had a few bad spells of post natal depression myself ... it was like looking at the world through double glazing and I ached so much ... every joint in my body.
But Im really normal now ... honest

Last edited by sky; May 19th 2004 at 10:25 pm.
Old May 19th 2004, 11:34 pm
Good news everyone...

davidclifford is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Alborg
Did it make you feel run down, angry, jealous, tired, de-motivated, flat, insecure and also change the way you perceived life and the people around you?
All of these things can be signs of depression, but thay can also simply mean that you are working too hard or aving relationship problems. Do you feel that way all the time? Do you feel as if you are walking around enveloped in a dark cloud? Are you experiencing feelings of hopelessness and lack of self-confidence? What about your sleep patterns?

Try taking some time off if you can and just relaxing. If that doesn't help, go to your doctor and ask to be assessed to see if you have depression. Even then, you may not need any drugs - counselling can be extremely effective. Just talking to someone impartial about your problems can make you feel as if you have shed a ton weight! But if you think there is something wrong, do somthing about it - fatigue and stress can turn into depression if left too long.
Old May 20th 2004, 12:24 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

What a fantastic thread.
Thanks for articulating your experiences, I'm also a mental health nurse so am not unfamiliar with depression but I havnt experienced it either so the insight is really helpful.
I agree with almost everything thats been said on this thread which must be a first!
Old May 20th 2004, 12:31 am
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Originally posted by Grayling
Hi all
I have had a lot of involvement in the treatment of depression over the years. I worked as a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist in the NHS for many years.
Do not underestimate depression , it can be a debilitating illness and can have serious consequences. Fortunately is is readily treatable with both Anti depressants and psychological therapies and most people make good recoveries.

In relation to Migration many people will find they may be particularly liable to depression which can be triggered or worsened by stress.
Some of the descriptions of the difficulties some experience on moving to another country sound like a form of depression and can affect everyone no matter how well prepared they feel.
It could happen to any of us so perhaps we should be more understanding of people who can not adapt to their new life.

It also strikes me that some of the posters who express such unhappiness with their current lives are also showing some signs similar to depression and the idea and process of migration can act as a diversion for a while. Unfortunately the gloom will reappear when the distraction ends and for some they will be worse off having left their support network behind and when they realise the fantasy was better than the reality.

No doubt I will get slated for this and have, in the past, deliberately kept these opinions to myself. However ,now the subject has been raised , I feel able to contribute.

No one really likes to think of the Psychological consequences of such a major change in their lives but, unfortunately, it is impossible to escape what is in your own head.

This will not apply to everyone but don't underestimate the potential for difficulties.

Sorry, seem to have strayed off the original point.

Best wishes

G
This is a brilliant post, Grayling. There is nothing wrong with being aware of possible problems. Emigrating is a big step and can be very stressful. When I first emigrated at the age of 20 I became ill with rheumatoid arthritis. This was a total shock as I'd had no idea that it ran in my family. I was so bad that I was told I'd be in a wheelchair by the time I was 30. I thought "s*d that for a lark!" and did all I could to relieve the condition. Now I'm 38 and still moblie!

Now I'm re-emigrating to Oz with a new family, and I'm a bit worried that the stress will worsen my condition, but I'm optomistic that I can plan for it. Emigrating the first time did make me ill, or rather it bought out an illness I already had. I'm not saying people shouldn't emigrate or follow their dreams, only that they need to keep their feet on the ground and be aware that there can be unexpected problems! This is not 'negative thinking' - it's common sense.
Old May 20th 2004, 12:44 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Was watching an article on holmes tonight and they were saying your condition was improved if you excluded starch from your diet. dont know if it is for real just thought I would make you aware of what Id seen on tv
Old May 20th 2004, 12:58 am
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Originally posted by sky
Was watching an article on holmes tonight and they were saying your condition was improved if you excluded starch from your diet. dont know if it is for real just thought I would make you aware of what Id seen on tv
There are a lot of theories about diet. I've been avoiding citric acid in mine for about 13 years now and i can honestly say it's helped a lot, though most doctors don't give it much credence, they say 'there is no medical evidence to support this'. That's because money to run clinical trials comes from drug companies and they aren't going to fund research into things that won't make them a profit, are they? I'm not saying it would work for all types of arthritis, but it's worth a try. A healthy diet and regular exercise can help with a lot of things, including depression.
Old May 20th 2004, 1:32 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Yes this is a great thread.
Shows how the members of the forum can support each other when necessary

Mention has been made of Cognitive Behavioural therapy.

Here is a link to the 'British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies' of which I am a member. It gives a lot of information about CBT plus a guide on how to access therapy either through the NHS or privately.
Hope it may be of help to someone

www.babcp.com

Best wishes

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.