Dependents

Old Sep 24th 2003, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

FiFi is an unknown quantity at this point
Question FAQ - dependants

Hi

I included my 17 year old daughter as a dependant when I applied for skilled migration visa in August 2003. Does anyone know what happens if she turns 18 before the visa comes through ... or if she decides to return to UK to study (before having resided for 2 years) .. Could she get a return visa in her own right before she leaves Australia ?

P.s. great idea for a website
Old Sep 25th 2003, 1:40 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FAQ - dependants

Originally posted by FiFi
I included my 17 year old daughter as a dependant when I applied for skilled migration visa in August 2003. Does anyone know what happens if she turns 18 before the visa comes through ... or if she decides to return to UK to study (before having resided for 2 years) .. Could she get a return visa in her own right before she leaves Australia ?
A child must be dependent in order to be included in your application. An unmarried and unengaged child below 18 is assumed to be a dependent. A child above 18 whether married or otherwise is assumed to be a non-dependent unless proof can be shown that the child is dependent on the applicant.

This test is applied at the time of your application, and applied again at the time a decision is made on your application - usually months after you have lodged your application.

So, in your situation, if your daughter turns 18 before a decision is made on your application, she will have to prove her dependence on you (i.e. not employed and not married and not engaged etc) in order for her to remained included in your application.

You may want to consult a registered migration agent about your situation if your daughter turns 18 before your application is decided.

Peter
Old Sep 25th 2003, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

FiFi is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Peter for your time ... I paid our investment bond last week so am expecting the visa through within the next month or (before Laura turns 18 at the ned of January)... Do you know if once where over there she will be able to apply for her own return visa / citizenship after 2 years .. just a little concerned about her getting into uni.. and she may have to come back in October to pick up a deferred entry place she has here

best regards

Originally posted by ptlabs
A child must be dependent in order to be included in your application. An unmarried and unengaged child below 18 is assumed to be a dependent. A child above 18 whether married or otherwise is assumed to be a non-dependent unless proof can be shown that the child is dependent on the applicant.

This test is applied at the time of your application, and applied again at the time a decision is made on your application - usually months after you have lodged your application.

So, in your situation, if your daughter turns 18 before a decision is made on your application, she will have to prove her dependence on you (i.e. not employed and not married and not engaged etc) in order for her to remained included in your application.

You may want to consult a registered migration agent about your situation if your daughter turns 18 before your application is decided.

Peter
Old Sep 25th 2003, 2:17 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by FiFi
Do you know if once where over there she will be able to apply for her own return visa / citizenship after 2 years
Once she meets the requirements for an RRV or citizenship, she may apply on her own (provided she also meets the age requirements for citizenship, of course).

Peter