Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dentist work in Australia or overseas??

Dentist work in Australia or overseas??

Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:03 am
funky monkey.

chiefster1976 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dentist work in Australia or overseas??

Hi guys, hope you are well...
I moved over from the u.k to Australia over 3 years now.. I have to get my 2 front teeth which are crowns replaced as they are ill fitting and im Told by the dentists here in Brisbane that porcelain/crowns cannot be whitened,hence i cannot get the rest of my teeth whitened until i get the crowns replaced.. IS THIS THE CASE???

Because of the original (part left) teeth underneath the two front crowns,apparently theres a possibility of breaking the original which could mean more work if the crowns dont come out easily...
Hence a possible price tag of from $3-7k AU PER TOOTH...
Outragous hey....
i just havent got that kind of cash...
SO i have heard stories and even read in the news papers and even the back of a jet star mag of overseas trips to dentists, maily areas like the Phillepenes seems to be really cheap and Even BALI...
I would love to hear peoples stories on here if anyone has been through this at all and is it worth the hassle of paying for a flight,acomadation and treatment in another country and still have cash left over compared to Getting work done here in Australia???
For the treatment i have received here in Brisbane im open to overseas work as some dentists here are terrible i have found...
Thanks for your time and posts....regards from GAvin...
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:08 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dentist work in Australia or overseas??

Originally Posted by chiefster1976
Hi guys, hope you are well...
I moved over from the u.k to Australia over 3 years now.. I have to get my 2 front teeth which are crowns replaced as they are ill fitting and im Told by the dentists here in Brisbane that porcelain/crowns cannot be whitened,hence i cannot get the rest of my teeth whitened until i get the crowns replaced.. IS THIS THE CASE???

Because of the original (part left) teeth underneath the two front crowns,apparently theres a possibility of breaking the original which could mean more work if the crowns dont come out easily...
Hence a possible price tag of from $3-7k AU PER TOOTH...
Outragous hey....
i just havent got that kind of cash...
SO i have heard stories and even read in the news papers and even the back of a jet star mag of overseas trips to dentists, maily areas like the Phillepenes seems to be really cheap and Even BALI...
I would love to hear peoples stories on here if anyone has been through this at all and is it worth the hassle of paying for a flight,acomadation and treatment in another country and still have cash left over compared to Getting work done here in Australia???
For the treatment i have received here in Brisbane im open to overseas work as some dentists here are terrible i have found...
Thanks for your time and posts....regards from GAvin...
Get a couple more opinions

A lot of dentists here are little more than crooks.

My wife was quoted work which would cost several thousand dollars and then went to a dentist less than a mile away who said her teeth were fine and she simply needed a couple of fillings.

I was told I needed two crowns etc. I have just had two fillings from another dentist who also said my teeth were fine and to come back in six moths for a routine check up.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 5:47 am
funky monkey.

chiefster1976 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks grayling..I definalty need my crowns replacing...

Any other expats out there can help with overseas experiences in dentistry VS Australias pricing etc??
Old Jan 28th 2012, 7:52 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Teeth whitening?

Why would you?
Old Jan 28th 2012, 9:54 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

I currently live in KL and obviously use the dentists here. Very happy with the work we get done (the Malaysian dentists at our clinic all trained all Australia). Do your research in terms of where and who you go to, get some firm prices beforehand and go for it!
Old Jan 28th 2012, 9:55 am
ajw

ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Get a couple more opinions

A lot of dentists here are little more than crooks.

My wife was quoted work which would cost several thousand dollars and then went to a dentist less than a mile away who said her teeth were fine and she simply needed a couple of fillings.

I was told I needed two crowns etc. I have just had two fillings from another dentist who also said my teeth were fine and to come back in six moths for a routine check up.
I had a similar experience in London. Guess those crooks are everywhere..
Old Jan 28th 2012, 12:06 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajw
Really? Why didn't you go to a NHS dentist where the fees are capped at 200 quid for a crown?
Old Jan 28th 2012, 12:41 pm
ajw

My point was that I had a dentist try and 'sell' me one course of apparently essential treatment. I sought a second opinion and it turned it that this treatment was not necessary after all.

Last edited by ajw; Jan 28th 2012 at 12:58 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 1:14 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajw
My point was that I had a dentist try and 'sell' me one course of apparently essential treatment. I sought a second opinion and it turned it that this treatment was not necessary after all.
Ah sorry. I agree - there are people after your cash everywhere. To the OP - we've had a dental holiday to KL before - whitening and 2 crowns - cost a third (including 4 days at the Shangri la) of the cost quoted by the dentist we saw in Oz.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 8:11 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajw
of course you did
Old Jan 29th 2012, 12:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Go to your nearest Dental Uni/College and see what their quote would be. Way cheaper, the work will be done by students - final year as opposed to first year but they are closely monitored. It is a subject that comes up again and again so it's worth doing a search.