Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dentist - is this what it usually costs?

Dentist - is this what it usually costs?

Old Nov 4th 2004, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about
Default Dentist - is this what it usually costs?

Just returned from the dentist. I had an appointment to have an old filling replaced and while he was looking between his computer screen and my mouth, he decided he'd better replace two big fillings.

Anyway, he took an hour and it cost $525. I got $126 back from the health insurance.

He does seem to have all the latest stuff and the work was done well - but is this the normal price these days in Australia????

It's just that I always get a feeling that I'm being ripped off when I've been to the dentist......but maybe that's not fair?
Old Nov 4th 2004, 1:43 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Dentist - is this what it usually costs?

'fraid so.... I went for a checkup and they want to charge me nearly $800 for four small fillings. :scared: Really annoying thing is that I had a baby in March and had we been in the UK I could have had free treatment for a year after the birth. After having my first child my teeth were fine.....this time they've gone to pot.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 1:46 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocaholic
Just returned from the dentist. I had an appointment to have an old filling replaced and while he was looking between his computer screen and my mouth, he decided he'd better replace two big fillings.

Anyway, he took an hour and it cost $525. I got $126 back from the health insurance.

He does seem to have all the latest stuff and the work was done well - but is this the normal price these days in Australia????

It's just that I always get a feeling that I'm being ripped off when I've been to the dentist......but maybe that's not fair?
That's about right.

I had a crown replaced and it cost $1200 - got about $500 back from Medibank.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 1:53 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chocaholic

yip, seems about right ( white fillings?)

wait until you get a root canal done ( single root) $1000 my hubby had one done a few months ago. :scared:

cheers
Old Nov 4th 2004, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for your replies - it feels better knowing you're not being ripped off!

Yes they were white fillings. I'm just starting on my teeth odyssey in Oz. Next week, I'm having a brace fitted on the inside of my bottom teeth and next month I have to visit a periodontist in the city. In nine months, I'll have two braces fitted on the outside of my teeth. This is all because I have very crowded teeth and a deep bite which makes it difficult to clean them properly and could cause health problems in the future. (starting to think that a 2nd mortgage may be a good idea!)

Anyway for the next two years my smile will be more than !

Have a great day everyone
Old Nov 4th 2004, 9:49 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Stop eating the chocolate It is revolting, slimey, gunky muck anyway! Nothing personal you understand Just don't like the stuff.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 9:59 pm
Cheeky

LOL Moneypenn .........

Took me a couple of minutes to work out what you were on about out!!!........

Very clever!!

Coming back to the point though I am obsessed with looking after my teeth, so I am dreading how much its gonna cost!! Oh well I suppose I can save on fuel, petrol is cheaper out there isnt it?? So I suppose its all swings and roundabouts then!

Cheeky!!

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Stop eating the chocolate It is revolting, slimey, gunky muck anyway! Nothing personal you understand Just don't like the stuff.

Old Nov 5th 2004, 1:50 pm
SCANNY

scanny is an unknown quantity at this point

That's it, I'm getting falsies before I go (teeth that is) got more gaps than teeth anyway, have to practically gum everything to death.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 1:53 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scanny
That's it, I'm getting falsies before I go (teeth that is) got more gaps than teeth anyway, have to practically gum everything to death.
Way too much information thanks
Old Nov 6th 2004, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I may have to take my chocolate in liquid form with a straw, once the braces are in...........but of course, you're right, it's not that good for me.........
Old Nov 6th 2004, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scanny
At least you have no problems with flossing