Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dental Treatment - UK or OZ

Dental Treatment - UK or OZ

Old Aug 24th 2006, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dental Treatment - UK or OZ

Hi

I fliy out to Sydney in 10 days and have a couple of questions regarding dental treatment.

1. For sometime now I have needed a crown and 2 fillings, a total cost of £500 for the treatment.

2. My son needs a brace and as sods law would have it, the appointment has just come through following a 9 month wait, whilst we have enough time for a consultation, the brace would not be ready before we leave!

My question is would it be possible to take out a dental plan / insurance and then my son and I get treatment or would they assess us first before insuring us (like Bupa where they will not cover you for certain treatment)?

I am unsure whether to get my treatment done here before I leave, even though I don't have time for an afternoon devoted to the dentist, or should I wait until I get to Oz.

Sorry if this post is confusing but I am confused regarding this area of insurance.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks Nikki
Old Aug 26th 2006, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Miona has a spectacular aura aboutMiona has a spectacular aura aboutMiona has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Dental Treatment - UK or OZ

Firstly there is very limited free dental treatment here on Medicare. Most people either pay for dental treatment themselves or do it through their private health insurance. If you have private health insurance it has to be the type that covers you for "extras" which include dental work. Even with private insurance, you still have to pay a considerable amount yourself. For example I took my two kids for a check up and this cost me $248 for the initial consultation and then a scale and clean for both. I got less than half back and I am in the top scale of my health fund. One of my children will probably need braces in the next year - cost about $5,000 for top and bottom but the health fund will only pay about $1,500. Sometimes I wonder why I bother with the health insurance at all!

If you have BUPA or similar you can transfer to a private health fund here without the waiting periods (if you have had it long enough in the UK). If you join and have to wait then it is normally a couple of months for a general dental checkup and up to 1 year wait for major work (such as crowns etc). They don't assess you but you have to wait before they allow you to make a claim.

If I was you I would see the dentist before you leave. But if you are moving here permanently then you will probably take out private insurance at some time. You need to do your homework before you join a health fund. In general lower premiums give you access to lower rebates. Particularly if you have kids and dental is important. Recently though some of the big funds like HCF and MBF and NIB have started their own dental services. In Sydney they have clinics in some places where you can go and get treatment by their dentists at a much reduced rate. I have never been to one of these clinics but they may be very good.

Another tip is to shop around for your dentist. There seems to be a big difference in what they charge. My husband for example went to a dentist who did a lot of work for what the health fund paid making it "free" to him when he went. However the dentist I go to charges more. You shouldn't be afraid to ask them for a quote - particularly if it is for braces or crowns etc.

Hope this has helped
Old Aug 26th 2006, 1:26 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nikki
Hi

I fliy out to Sydney in 10 days and have a couple of questions regarding dental treatment.

1. For sometime now I have needed a crown and 2 fillings, a total cost of £500 for the treatment.

2. My son needs a brace and as sods law would have it, the appointment has just come through following a 9 month wait, whilst we have enough time for a consultation, the brace would not be ready before we leave!

My question is would it be possible to take out a dental plan / insurance and then my son and I get treatment or would they assess us first before insuring us (like Bupa where they will not cover you for certain treatment)?

I am unsure whether to get my treatment done here before I leave, even though I don't have time for an afternoon devoted to the dentist, or should I wait until I get to Oz.

Sorry if this post is confusing but I am confused regarding this area of insurance.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks Nikki
Get it done before you leave. It is apparently cheaper to fly to the UK than pay for it here. Also most insurance companies have a restriction written in the policy in which you can't claim for a certain time between when you take out the policy and when you get the work done.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a straw that broke the camels back story re dentist here..... I cannot beleive that it wouldnt be cheaper in the UK BTW.

All of my kids have had bent awkard teeth, We've been through jaw ops, with plates installed with both my older ones just to align there teeth.... so far so good.

Currently much to my personal annoyance, the younger two are getting fixed up (they are 12 and 8.... by a holostic dental practioner whatever the f... that is.) a license to print money I call it. Or 13,000 grands worth. Or a down payment on next years Audi.

Here you go spend some money....

http://www.holisticdental.com.au/HDPhilosophy.htm

The straw that broke the Camels back was, My oldest daughter, had a sore tooth.... 23 she is, qualifies for free dental because she doesnt work due to a medical condition..... Wouldnt go to the dental hospital because she was too nervous. My wife took pity on her, took her to the same orthodontist. One quick photo... one consultation.... One extraction... 500 bucks thank you very much.... For something that could have been done for free....

Nah dont talk to me about dentists....

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 26th 2006 at 3:23 pm.