Dental Costs

Old Apr 19th 2013, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of
Default Dental Costs

Hi everyone,

Just been picked up off the floor after being quoted $7500 for my daughter to have braces!
Is it worth shopping around or are prices pretty much the same at every orthodontist?

We haven't taken out medical insurance yet and think we are too late for this in my daughters case as companies such as Medibank have a 12 month wait period before insurance kicks in on major dental work.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Jo
Old Apr 19th 2013, 7:20 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dental Costs

Originally Posted by joeyb
Hi everyone,

Just been picked up off the floor after being quoted $7500 for my daughter to have braces!
Is it worth shopping around or are prices pretty much the same at every orthodontist?

We haven't taken out medical insurance yet and think we are too late for this in my daughters case as companies such as Medibank have a 12 month wait period before insurance kicks in on major dental work.

Cheers
Jo
Similar prices in Perth.... $6500 - $7500.
I would recommend a second opinion though...... We have obtained 3 opinions.

#1 UK Last year - No problem, nothing to worry about.
#2 Recently in Perth - Major problems that will result in breathing difficulties in later life. $7,300.
#3 Second opinion (in Perth) - no real problems, nothing to worry about.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 9:56 am
DML
Forum Regular

DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute

just been looking at health insurance for my family - as well as the waiting period unless (and indeed even if) you pay top whack for cover you'll find there are (fairly small) annual limits for dental and orthodontic work.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 11:41 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Cheers
Jo
We paid around that, I don't think you'll get it for much less unfortunately. Dental prices are such a rip off.

As has been mentioned, you don't get a lot back for major dental work even if you're have top level private insurance. Major is classed as orthodontics, crowns, bridgework etc. One good thing though, some private insurers give you unlimited 'minor' dental work, I'm in HBF and can have unlimited fillings. Not that I want or need them.

I've done a fair bit of research into dental prices in Perth and the rest of Oz, generally (without private insurance) an ordinary filling will be between $200 - $400, a root canal done in 2 or 3 stages will cost over $1,000, a porcelein crown around $1,500 - $2,000, and a single dental implant around $5,000 - $5,500.

Remember that you can claim allowable medical expenses on your tax. Not sure of the exact figure that kicks in, but it's around anything over $1,500 can be claimed back - you get 20c in the dollar which would help a bit with a $7,500 bill!! Just make sure you get all the braces work done in one financial year (July - June) to maximise your rebate.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice

Good reminder by spouse of scouse re Tax... The threshold is now (2013) $2060 net medical expenses.

My nieces have all been recommended for braces but I am sceptical...they seem to be the "in thing" these days... Have suggested other opinions be obtained before my BIL has a coronary...hence incurring more medical bills LOL...
Old Apr 20th 2013, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Cheers
Jo
The worst dental quote we had was $6500 for ONE dental implant for teen who has baby tooth with no adult tooth underneath.

Driving round the USA we looked into it, and would get change out of $1000.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 6:29 am
Just Joined

avril1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

Cheers
Jo
Go for a quick trip over to the Philippines,my partner had a quote here for 50-60,000 pesos = $1,183- $1,419.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 10:31 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avril1
Go for a quick trip over to the Philippines,my partner had a quote here for 50-60,000 pesos = $1,183- $1,419.
There are a lot of dentists in Bali, Kuala Lumpur and Manila who offer dental services to overseas people. Some are good, and some are likely to leave you with a raging infection, or worse. There's no protection or recourse for Australians who have dental treatment overseas, as each practice is governed only by the standards/regulations of their country. I still think it can be a good alternative for people who need a lot of work done, but PLEASE research your chosen dentist before you risk your health as well as your cash!!
Old Apr 20th 2013, 10:47 am
Just Joined

avril1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes of course research!
I can vouch for the Dentist I use in Marikina city, Manila
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi everyone,

Cheers
Jo

There are lots of dentists that allow you to pay it off on a monthly basis, we are going to have to go down the braces route for my second son and we expect to pay the $7k+ but will find a dentist with a payment plan. Whatever happened to pull a few teeth out and see how it goes as my old dentist back in the 1970's used to do
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by avril1
Yes of course research!
I can vouch for the Dentist I use in Marikina city, Manila
Lol and you are so trustworthy! Maybe I should also email you my banking details so I can put down a deposit to get my Nigerian lottery win that I never went in.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 5:58 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Cheers
Jo

Have a look at the Dental Plan from Smile. You should be able to get at least 15% off of the quoted prices if you use a participating Dentist.

S
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:23 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Have a look at the Dental Plan from Smile. You should be able to get at least 15% off of the quoted prices if you use a participating Dentist.

S

This place comes highly recommended:

Asavanant Dental Clinic

S
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The worst dental quote we had was $6500 for ONE dental implant for teen who has baby tooth with no adult tooth underneath.

Driving round the USA we looked into it, and would get change out of $1000.
Am waiting to hear the cost of Stage 2 of eldest son's treatment - a temporary plate with two false teeth.

Have already paid $7500 for braces for the past two years.

In another year or so we will have Stage 3 which will be two implants.

Thing that annoys me is that we are undertaking this not for cosmetic reasons because he was born without the teeth either side of his central incisors.

Seriously think when the time comes we will be looking at going abroad to get it done.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

tazz94 has a brilliant futuretazz94 has a brilliant futuretazz94 has a brilliant futuretazz94 has a brilliant futuretazz94 has a brilliant futuretazz94 has a brilliant futuretazz94 has a brilliant future

am guessing from the talk above that medicare doesn't cover dental work?! which insurance company do people use for dental work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.