Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dental - Cost of a crown in the UK?

Dental - Cost of a crown in the UK?

Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:10 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future
Default Dental - Cost of a crown in the UK?

Anyone had one recently on the NHS or can give an idea?

Been to the dentist today and have been given an estimate of $5000 to sort out me teeth! ... ... altho I knew they charge a fortune over here ...

I've had a filling that has fallen out and now needs to be crowned but also a gold crown I've had for 10 years, altho it aint giving any probs as we speak, it needs to be sorted!

I can't help but wonder will it be cheaper flying back to the UK to get em sorted! ...
Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Silky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dental - Cost of a crown in the UK?

Last time I had a crown done it was £250, that was a few years ago though!

Hope you get it all sorted out.

Best wishes,

Sara
Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:22 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Silky Chicken
Last time I had a crown done it was £250, that was a few years ago though!

Hope you get it all sorted out.

Best wishes,

Sara
Ok thanks, I'll see if I can get a more recent price but at that cost it WILL be cheaper flying back to the UK to get em done!

I knew dental work over here was expensive but!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold

You are not alone !!! My hubby has been quoted $1500 for 3 fillings, and then around $5000 for a crown, where the gold one has fallen off. We are going to UK in September for a holiday and we are thinking the same !!!!! Seems like our bargain NHS dentist was not such a bargain. Hubby only had an appt a few weeks before we came out here, so that dentist was obviously missing loads of problems.

Thinking of getting private health care add on ???? for me and waiting the required waiting time before going to the dentist here myself !! Especially as the side of one of my molars fell off the other day :scared: :scared:
Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:47 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

As some of you know, I owned a dental lab in the UK for 15 years, which we sold and moved here. In 2004 we used to charge dentists £33 for a porcelain bonded crown (porcelain fused to precious metal) and £36 for a full gold crown. The dentist then basically charged what he felt like for preparing the tooth then fitting the crown a week or so later. If I remember rightly the NHS fee for a porcelain bonded crown was just around £100 although it could have risen by around 20% since then. The best thing to do is find a good dentist (there are some out there) who isnt in it solely for the money.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

i had a gold crown a couple of months ago and paid £200.

i like your idea of popping back to the uk and having your teeth fixed but you'll be lucky ! most dentists no longer take nhs and the waiting times (nhs or private) for good dentists are months !
Old Jul 11th 2006, 8:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
The best thing to do is find a good dentist (there are some out there) who isnt in it solely for the money.
Yeah will try, altho not sure how easy it will be from here.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic

Been to the dentist today and have been given an estimate of $5000 to sort out me teeth! ... ... altho I knew they charge a fortune over here ...

I've had a filling that has fallen out and now needs to be crowned but also a gold crown I've had for 10 years, altho it aint giving any probs as we speak, it needs to be sorted!

I can't help but wonder will it be cheaper flying back to the UK to get em sorted! ...
How about a holiday to somewhere like India or South Africa or Bulgaria/Romania (was mentioned on the last home truths program, radio 4) and have your teeth fixed at the same time?
Old Jul 11th 2006, 8:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ohippy
i had a gold crown a couple of months ago and paid £200.

i like your idea of popping back to the uk and having your teeth fixed but you'll be lucky ! most dentists no longer take nhs and the waiting times (nhs or private) for good dentists are months !
Maybe I should continue to chew pain killers ...lol
Old Jul 11th 2006, 8:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
How about a holiday to somewhere like India or South Africa or Bulgaria/Romania (was mentioned on the last home truths program, radio 4) and have your teeth fixed at the same time?
Oh I'm not fussy! ... I'd go anywhere!

I'd love to get them fixed here but am not a rich man unfortunately ...
Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:09 am
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of

I think you will have to telephone and book an appointment well in advanced because the dental situation here in the UK is terrible. There are virtually no Dentists taking on any new patients and you may have to wait around 4 months for an appointment. I rang my dentist last month just to book a check up and was told I couldnt make an appointment till end of July Thats 2 months just to make an appointment to wait for 3 months before the actual appointment!!! Unless of course you can afford to go Private.
I understand the Spain has a reasonably priced Dental service.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:27 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah will try, altho not sure how easy it will be from here.

If your serious about going back to the UK,get a relative,or good family friend to book the appointment for you in advance.

Donna.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Silky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of light

Forgot to say, the crown I had made is Porcelaine which they tend to charge more for anyway!

Sara
Old Jul 11th 2006, 10:01 am
Account Closed

I'm wondering if even private would still be cheaper?
Old Jul 11th 2006, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I had a crown fitted in Oz for $1000. My insurance paid $400 of that. Last one in UK (private, 3 years ago) cost £280.
Try another dentist here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.