Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dental Braces HELP

Dental Braces HELP

Old Dec 6th 2005, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

task is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nice
Default Dental Braces HELP

Hi everyone just found out that our son 14yrs(today) needs a brace,the dentist said wait till we get to oz cos its a 2 yr ongoing treatment.
We are moving to Perth as soon as the house is sold can anyone recommend a good dentist in Perth or give any advice on the cost.
Has anyone recently had there kids through this treatment?
We have had a search on this site and if all the prices are correct it looks like the dog is,nt going to oz.
cheers task
Old Dec 6th 2005, 8:59 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dental Braces HELP

Originally Posted by task
Hi everyone just found out that our son 14yrs(today) needs a brace,the dentist said wait till we get to oz cos its a 2 yr ongoing treatment.
We are moving to Perth as soon as the house is sold can anyone recommend a good dentist in Perth or give any advice on the cost.
We have had a search on this site and if all the prices are correct it looks like the dog is,nt going to oz.
cheers task
from what i`ve read on this forum and others orthodontist work costs 1000`s
Old Dec 6th 2005, 9:13 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

cheers task

Yes it will cost several thousand probably, but you can make monthly payments which makes it real easy. My son went to one in Carine/Duncraig who actually did my teeth when i was young. Personally think he is very good and works from 4 different centers so people dont have to travel far in the northern suburbs.

Dr P M Deves [E]
Ist Floor, 6 Davallia Road
DUNCRAIG, WA, 6023
Phone: 08 9249 4250

Last edited by Siren & Brian; Dec 6th 2005 at 9:20 am.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 9:16 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

my mates son has had braces fitted it cost her thousands.......and they have slightly corrected one side...and made the good side crooked.

Make sure he defo needs them b4 u get them started.....she regrets it now as his teeth were fine
Old Dec 6th 2005, 9:23 am
The Outback Beast

fogmeister is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, yeah its a big shock, my lad has just had a brace fitted and it cost a shade under 5 grand, I was not impressed to say the least, they do make it easy for you though, you can pay 1/3rd upfront and then the rest over the following 12 months, very generous, as he drives away in his brand new Z4 beemer
ps it seems to be a bit of a fashion accesory over here

cheers task
Old Dec 6th 2005, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

Oh no pleeeeeeeeese dont be that much :scared:
Daughter told today she needs a brace and correction of jaw alignment plus some work on a gap at the side (she may not like it when she gets older )
AND Son has appointment early Jan as he may need a brace

Thats the swimming pool money gone!

Di
Old Dec 6th 2005, 9:38 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by harveyhare
Oh no pleeeeeeeeese dont be that much :scared:
Daughter told today she needs a brace and correction of jaw alignment plus some work on a gap at the side (she may not like it when she gets older )
AND Son has appointment early Jan as he may need a brace

Thats the swimming pool money gone!

Di
as I said just make sure that they defo need the work done, although dentists r good here they like to do some stuff that isnt absolutely necessary
Old Dec 6th 2005, 9:43 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers task
My dentist in the UK still fitted my daughters brace as he said that it would work out cheaper for me to only have to have the brace tightened every few weeks in Australia and of course to have it removed eventually.
I took my son to the Orthodontist today to have his retainers adjusted but they said that is the end of the treatment and that they have done the job, appt in 6 months time with a view to the fitted brace, asked what this may cost and told between $4-6k :scared:
Old Dec 6th 2005, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

i go with shazza.....

get your boys brace fittings dones over here.... 1st they put in spacers round 2 of his back teeth (to move them away from the other teeth so they can attach the brace). then they take a mould of his mouth and make the metal but that goes round the back of his teeth. after they've got this in they'll stick all the little brace bits to his teeth run a wire through them and hiold them in palce with little elastic bands. then afterwards it's just appointments to change the wires until it's time for the brace to come off. normally after you've had a fixed brace (traintracks woohooooo) you get a retainer to stop the teeth moving about so much and let the gums settle back into place.

i got my brace on when i was 16 over here in the uk - was all totally free! managed to pop off a few of the elastics and also have the wires come out when i was 19 (and in australia) and had to visit my cousins dentist to get them to help. he replaced the wire and the bands and think it was maybe only $40 (my mum paid!) but i can't really remember.

i'd say to get it done (or atleast started) overe would save you a fair chunk of money - my cousins (in oz) brace is costing a fortune!

f
x
Old Dec 6th 2005, 9:37 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Someone I know had one fitted and althogether it cost around $6,000 ...nice :scared:
Old Dec 6th 2005, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

My friends daughter has just completed her first lot of orthodontics and it cost $2000. Friend only paid $500 of the $2000 though as she has dental cover through Medibank private. Might be worth getting the cover. :scared:
Old Dec 6th 2005, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

ireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud of

Hi Folks
Dont know if this info will help but my daughter aged 6 had probs with her teeth her tongue had pushed her her teeth slighty out and left a gap dentist said it was due to her having sucked a dummy for too long (until she was two) anyway he recommended a gumshield which the kids wear 1 hour a day and at night it called a T4K think he said it orginated in OZ or the USA it stopped the need for those railway track braces it is brillant daughters teeth perfect and no gap between the top and bottom teeth it corrected it no problem it cost 100pounds for the first one then second one £50 .
hope this info helps
ireland.
ps go on the web and tap in T4K Trainer should give more info on it otherwise i have a cd the dentist gave me to show my daughter what it was and its really good.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

My son had his brace fitted 9 weeks before moving to oz. We then had to find an orthodontist here to do the bits. Its costing us $1800 for this work, which I think is highly overpriced but has to be done. we too are paying for it over the next 12 months. We have got HFC cover but we have only been with them since June and its a pre existing condition. The only thing he did say was that our brace fitments are different to theres and should'nt be a problem unless it breaks which so far it hasn't.

Jo