Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

demerits and english drivers license HELP

demerits and english drivers license HELP

Old Feb 27th 2008, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of
Default demerits and english drivers license HELP

Ummm, I've been bad. I have been in Australia for 2 years now but havent got around to changing my license over. Anyway I hardly drive and dont have my own car, the only time I drive is to take the hubby to the airport. Anyhow I just got busted for speeding, the fine has been sent to hubby but if he takes my points then he is up to 9 and depends on driving for his job. So what should i do, get him to nominate me as the speeding driver and cop it for having an english license or should i quickly go get an aussie one and hope i get away with it. Am i in big trouble.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: demerits and english drivers license HELP

Originally Posted by lawlaw
Ummm, I've been bad. I have been in Australia for 2 years now but havent got around to changing my license over. Anyway I hardly drive and dont have my own car, the only time I drive is to take the hubby to the airport. Anyhow I just got busted for speeding, the fine has been sent to hubby but if he takes my points then he is up to 9 and depends on driving for his job. So what should i do, get him to nominate me as the speeding driver and cop it for having an english license or should i quickly go get an aussie one and hope i get away with it. Am i in big trouble.

If your OH depends on his licence for his job, then yes you should inform them it was you driving. The worst that could happen is A) you get a fine B) they give you points or C) both of the above.

Even if they fine you, it's not going to be half as bad as your OH losing his income.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:08 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
If your OH depends on his licence for his job, then yes you should inform them it was you driving. The worst that could happen is A) you get a fine B) they give you points or C) both of the above.

Even if they fine you, it's not going to be half as bad as your OH losing his income.
But isnt she driving unlicenced as she has not changed over to a NSW driving licence? You only have 3 months to change licence once you move to NSW or you are supposed to stop driving.

Last edited by ex_exile; Feb 27th 2008 at 7:15 am.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex_exile
But isnt she driving unlicenced as she has not changed over to a NSW driving licence? You only have 3 months to change licence once you move to NSW or you are supposed to stop driving.

Dunno. But even if she is, it's still better for her to take the wrap than her OH.

Or maybe they have a friend.....
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:51 am

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Dunno. But even if she is, it's still better for her to take the wrap than her OH.

Or maybe they have a friend.....
I agree, especially as she was actually driving. Also the local plod will have to twigg that she needs a NSW licence, if she just pays up then they may not check how long she has been in the state.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Thanks guys, i was always going to take the points, twas me afterall! I just wasnt sure what was going to happen to me regarding not having had an aussie license (bigger fine maybe?). Anyway I'm gonna go get one tomorrow and hope that im ok.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:54 pm

Thanks guys, i was always going to take the points, twas me afterall! I just wasnt sure what was going to happen to me regarding not having had an aussie license (bigger fine maybe?). Anyway I'm gonna go get one tomorrow and hope that im ok.
Fine is $397 for having an "out of date" state licence. I'd pay the original fine before you get the new licence as it would probably be flagged if you tried to take the points on a licence that was not issued at the time of the offence.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:19 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Whoa, do this (i know a 'friend' who did something similar..............ok, damn you, it was me....)

Tell the RTA that it was you driving, but give them your UK licence and UK address (use whatever address you UK licence is linked to).

Receive the fine and pay from UK bank account...

Has the advantages of not getting points added to your Australian licence but runs the risk of them finding out you've been living here for 2 yeras (unlikely though).

GET YOUR AUSTRALIAN LICENCE SORTED!!!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:20 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, technically, if you admit to living in the country and not having an Australian licence you would have been driving WITHOUT a licence..

Ie, your UK one is only valid for 12 months and you don't have an aussie licence....

Thats why I'd tell them you were visiting and have fine send to UK!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

Cairnsexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

The following represents a cunning plan ........ possibly unscrupulous ....... and to be taken only after careful consideration.
Your husband would need to nominate someone else as the driver with a forwarding address in UK. The ticket will get sent on to that address and can then be settled from overseas without declaring a license no.
If the license no. is given, then Licensing authority will tag the UK license no. so that if you ever apply for AUS license, you will be awarded the points in retrospect.
I have acquired this information from a trusted source.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 12:41 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I know some of the arguments/opportunities for getting someone else to take your points - but make sure you know the camara isn't one of the new ones that takes a picture from the front to check the driver! There are some about here in NSW not sure of WA.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 12:57 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Been here 8 months and have accumulated 9 points already
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:31 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cairnsexpat
The following represents a cunning plan ........ possibly unscrupulous ....... and to be taken only after careful consideration.
Your husband would need to nominate someone else as the driver with a forwarding address in UK. The ticket will get sent on to that address and can then be settled from overseas without declaring a license no.
If the license no. is given, then Licensing authority will tag the UK license no. so that if you ever apply for AUS license, you will be awarded the points in retrospect.
I have acquired this information from a trusted source.

Are any of you familiar with the offence called attempting to pervert the course of justice?

I'm not sure what they call it here, but there's bound to be something similar. And I imagine the fine will be much more than the two driving matters combined. I imagine that the nomination form to inform the RTA who was driving will be considered a legal document, and lying on it will be considered pretty gravely.

I would admit that it was you driving, pay the fine, and say that you didn't realise that you had to change your licence. I thought that a Commonwealth driving licence would cover me etc.

Don't start mucking around with bogus driver nominations, or you will end up like that judge geezer in the news who nominated some dead friend. He's off to prison I believe...

S
Old Feb 28th 2008, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

If you do the crime, do the time.

You don't get points in retrospect, not in Victoria anyway.

I confirmed this just the other day when swapping my UK license over for a Victorian one - good thing is i get to keep my UK one too!

Once the fine letter is printed from Senior Sergeant Ritchie that is it.

Not sure how they'd suspend you on a UK licence if you got caught for DD, mind...
Old Feb 28th 2008, 3:28 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

What visa are you on? You only need a NSW licence if you are a permanent resident and have been here more than 2 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.