Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Demerit Points and Insurance Company

Demerit Points and Insurance Company

Old Jul 28th 2008, 9:22 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Demerit Points and Insurance Company

Does anyone know if like the UK you HAVE to inform your insurance company of obtaining your lovely little friends?

I was told today that you don't, and that insurance companies don't even load you on your next premium ...

A claim, then they'll hit you hard, but they don't care how many points you have I'm told ...

Anyone know for sure??

Cheers
Old Jul 28th 2008, 9:33 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Demerit Points and Insurance Company

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Does anyone know if like the UK you HAVE to inform your insurance company of obtaining your lovely little friends?

I was told today that you don't, and that insurance companies don't even load you on your next premium ...

A claim, then they'll hit you hard, but they don't care how many points you have I'm told ...

Anyone know for sure??

Cheers
Can't answer on the points thing but

I phoned our ins co to see if OH was covered for windscreen,
We have NOT claimed

but they have changed our ins papers to add it as a declaration!!!!
Old Jul 28th 2008, 9:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sam
Can't answer on the points thing but

I phoned our ins co to see if OH was covered for windscreen,
We have NOT claimed

but they have changed our ins papers to add it as a declaration!!!!
Yeah my money's on ole mate talking out of his hat, but you NEVER know!
Old Jul 28th 2008, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PaulandNic

Anyone know for sure??

Cheers
When I got caught speeding and got 3 demerit points along with my fine, I contacted my insurance company, but they told me it wasn't an issue and at renewal the quote was no higher than the previous year. In fact when I shopped around (disclosing the demerit points to all potential insurers) I got an even better deal with another insurer. So based on my experience I would say that they don't care about demerit points.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 9:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Famous 5
When I got caught speeding and got 3 demerit points along with my fine, I contacted my insurance company, but they told me it wasn't an issue and at renewal the quote was no higher than the previous year. In fact when I shopped around (disclosing the demerit points to all potential insurers) I got an even better deal with another insurer. So based on my experience I would say that they don't care about demerit points.
Interesting, so he might be right then!

In the UK they'll load you for having points, so woulda guessed the same but as I say me mate reckons they don't care!

Will be interesting to see if someone knows fa sure.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 10:44 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

It will, however, become an major issue if, for arguement sake, you lose enough demerit points to have you licence cancelled, then continue to drive, and then have an accident. It will give them the excuse not to pay for any repairs etc.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Bloke
It will, however, become an major issue if, for arguement sake, you lose enough demerit points to have you licence cancelled, then continue to drive, and then have an accident. It will give them the excuse not to pay for any repairs etc.
A lot of ifs and hopefully most people have enough sense not to drive without insurance, me included, although I don't know how people here manage if they do lose their licence.

I was surprised that my insurance company wasn't interested (one of the companies I contacted did say that it was an issue if a driver had ever had their licence cancelled). I never had any speeding tickets in the UK, but I know from friends that their insurance premiums went up after they got caught speeding and it was considered a reportable change of circumstances.

My advice would be to declare anything that could later be used as an excuse not to pay out and if it doesn't affect the premiums it's a bonus.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:49 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of ifs and hopefully most people have enough sense not to drive without insurance, me included, although I don't know how people here manage if they do lose their licence.
You would be surprised how many people drive while under disqualification, even intoxicated, go before the courts, get a further disqualification, and go and drive again. Only in the last 12 months or so, courts actually began sending them to gaol.

I was surprised that my insurance company wasn't interested (one of the companies I contacted did say that it was an issue if a driver had ever had their licence cancelled).
That is what I was saying. "It will, however, become an major issue if, for arguement sake, you lose enough demerit points to have you licence cancelled, then continue to drive, and then have an accident. It will give them the excuse not to pay for any repairs etc."
Old Jul 28th 2008, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud of

do you get informed when you get demerit points?????

Ann
Old Jul 28th 2008, 2:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mumfords
do you get informed when you get demerit points?????

Ann
Yeah either by the nice police man at the side of the road, or in the post!