Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Delaying the move

Delaying the move

Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute
Default Delaying the move

Hi All,

Had a search but couldnt find anything re above. Has anyone been granted a PR, validated and left it a while before doing the big move? Our situation is such that we were granted the PR at the end of august and have to validate before June 06. However the better half's employers want her to head up a fairly big dept which will not only be a real plus on her CV but also it will obviously mean a few more squid, which we can save, and due to the pension set up with the company it would be quite good as well (i think they do a final salary thing)

Anyway Im all for her personal acheivement and career enhancement and dont mind staying over here in the UK for another 12-15 months because its about team work and doing whats best for us both in the long term so im not gonna say anything like "right we're off". However Im also aware of the fact that things an change in 15 months as you never know whats round the next corner.

So i suppose basically has anyone else had to make a slight adjustment to there plans as such?

Cheers

C

Also forgot to mention just putting the house up so that in theory could take 12 months to shift so I suppose we should carry on as normal until such time that we're in a position to do the move.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:47 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Delaying the move

Originally Posted by chaval
Hi All,

Had a search but couldnt find anything re above. Has anyone been granted a PR, validated and left it a while before doing the big move? Our situation is such that we were granted the PR at the end of august and have to validate before June 06. However the better half's employers want her to head up a fairly big dept which will not only be a real plus on her CV but also it will obviously mean a few more squid, which we can save, and due to the pension set up with the company it would be quite good as well (i think they do a final salary thing)

Anyway Im all for her personal acheivement and career enhancement and dont mind staying over here in the UK for another 12-15 months because its about team work and doing whats best for us both in the long term so im not gonna say anything like "right we're off". However Im also aware of the fact that things an change in 15 months as you never know whats round the next corner.

So i suppose basically has anyone else had to make a slight adjustment to there plans as such?

Cheers

C

Also forgot to mention just putting the house up so that in theory could take 12 months to shift so I suppose we should carry on as normal until such time that we're in a position to do the move.
Exactly what we will be doing - hoping to get the grant in the next few weeks, looking to validate Feb with a view to moving proper - later next year.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:54 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Same here: we got our visas a couple of weeks ago. Will be flying out to validate on Boxing Day but not moving for good until 2007

That's because I started a degree course part-time before the Oz move came up. I've spent a lot of money, time and effort on this and it would be stupid to just chuck it in. So, I'll finish it and then we'll move.

Though, reading about Worzel and Bridie (who lodged her visa the same day as ours) taking off for good this week - I want to go NOW.

Gina
Old Oct 12th 2005, 11:04 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Same here: we got our visas a couple of weeks ago. Will be flying out to validate on Boxing Day but not moving for good until 2007

That's because I started a degree course part-time before the Oz move came up. I've spent a lot of money, time and effort on this and it would be stupid to just chuck it in. So, I'll finish it and then we'll move.

Though, reading about Worzel and Bridie (who lodged her visa the same day as ours) taking off for good this week - I want to go NOW.

Gina
HI Gina, didn't realise you were delaying. Is that a recent decision? I had the chance to stay on earning great money but decided I couldn't handle going to work any longer without giving a toss about the place.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 11:56 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chaval
Hi All,

Cheers

C

Hi,

We got our Visas in 2002, validated 2003 and are finaly hoping to got out permanently in 2006 (if house sale goes ok). Stayed here because I got a place at Uni and then one thing and another....... So hopefully going out 2006 as we don't want to leave it until out PR runs out in 2007.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you had to live for at least 2 yrs in oz during the first 5 years. Probably wrong please correct me.

Jo
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:12 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
I thought you had to live for at least 2 yrs in oz during the first 5 years. Probably wrong please correct me.

Jo
Thats's so you can go straight for your Citizenship I think. Your Visa is valid for 5 years....so you can come and go as much as you want in that time as long as your initial entry date is within the specified period, i.e. before one year ends after police/meds were sent. We were granted a visa in 2002 and had to validate before sept 2003 which we did. Our visa expires in sept 2007 so as long as we're out there by then then it's ok. What will cause problems is if we need to come back to the UK....then we will need resident return visas until we've stayed long enough for citezinship....

Sorry if this has added to the confusion!

Cheers

Ginny
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

confusion is my middle name

I'm usually wrong so thanks for that.

Jo
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Jo
No, if you leave it until there's less than 2 years on your visa it means that you won't be able to leave and return without obtaining a visa (RRV or something it's called I think - residence return visa). You could theroretically leave it until the day before your visa expires but would then have to spend the next 2 years continuously in Oz.

We got our PR Jan 04, validated Feb 04 then wife started her MH Nurse Training in March 04.
Therefore she will finish that in March 07, 6 months experience here then off to OZ Jan 08. PR visa runs out Jan 2009.

So we've been struggling along like this for 18 months, both now desperate to go but unable to. We both know it's the best thing to do financially as my wife will earn decent money and get professional qualies (she used to be a Support Worker in MH). Worse for the kids cos they'll be older and have more mates etc. here but hey ho, you make your choices and all that.
I'll tell you what though, work is now such a struggle for me, I no longer have any motivation to work whatsoever and spend all day surfing the internet dreaming of OZ!

Andy
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:20 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

confusion is my middle name

I'm usually wrong so thanks for that.

Jo
In the politest possible way I hope you're wrong otherwise we'll turn up at an Ozzy airport and be told to go back! IKESSSSSS.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Stitch
In the politest possible way I hope you're wrong otherwise we'll turn up at an Ozzy airport and be told to go back! IKESSSSSS.

Cheers

Ginny
it does cross your mind doesn't it, every time you read a statement like that, even though you're sure it's not the case !!! :scared:
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:36 pm
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold

Hi Guys...can I join in................sorry to be REALLY stupid here but im confused now. We have applied for our visa as Skilled Migrant modl. Should have to validate Visa by July 2006, if the police checks ever come back!!! I was under the impression we had to stay two out of the 5 years!!!! Am I wrong then (this would then mean if only we went to validate our visas we would need to move out there by July 2008) Sorry if Ive caused further confusion!!! Cheers
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:43 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

We validated our visas last year and do not intend to move until some time in 2007.

Things to do here yet.

G
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the responses guys.

I think in regards to the 2 year thing...(i think dawn mentioned it) after your 1st 5 year visa is up and you havent applied for citizenship you have to get a RRV. I think I read somewhere that there are 2 sorts of RRV's one thats another full blown 5 year one where you have to have been in oz for at least 2 years and the other one is for 3 months which is for those that havent been in oz for a 2 years.

Therefore I think (hopefully someone will put me right if im wrong) that if you delay and have less than say 2 years on your ticket you would have to wait until you have completed 2 years before u can get the same 5 year RRV or opt for the 3 month one under compelling reasons

see http://www.immi.gov.au/faq/perm_res/02.htm#x4

So in our case i suppose we would best to be there by mid 2007 at the latest to get the 2 years as our is ok till 2010, and allow us 1 year for the unforeseen.

Cheers

C

Hope this hasnt muddied the water anymore
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

If you read the Read Me : Visa Validation post at the top of the page it is all clarified by JAJ who is a qualified agent I believe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.