Dehumidifiers?

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dehumidifiers?

I write this with boiling blood since the leather sandals, vintage leather handbag and black silk skirt I removed mould from a couple of months ago have fallen prey to it yet again.:curse:

I must admit I didn't think humidity would be the bane of my life when I moved to Sydney, but the curse of a ground floor unit with no aircon and lots of surrounding foliage seems to be contributing to the problem.

We have now decided to get a dehumidifier. Does anyone have any recommendations re models and retailers? Also, any general advice on how you deal with humidity/mould?

Sorry if this seems a whingy post, but I'm so mad, and to be honest, I know that I'm really putting off investigating further into the wardrobe ... I'm hoping for a magic wand really, well any advice from someone who's already tackled this problem ... Thanks for any help
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dehumidifiers?

If you buy those dampsorb containers from Bunnings and put them in the wardrobes it helps you just have to remember to change them often.

Anywhere where its warm and humid has the problem not just in your flat and the little beasties get in the flour etc.

Refrigerated aircondition dehumidifies.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals
If you buy those dampsorb containers from Bunnings and put them in the wardrobes it helps you just have to remember to change them often.

Anywhere where its warm and humid has the problem not just in your flat and the little beasties get in the flour etc.

Refrigerated aircondition dehumidifies.
Thanks Petals, have just put one of those damprid thingies in the wardrobe. Will have to look out for humidifiers too though. Presuming they're sold in the likes of Bunnings?
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rainydaze
Thanks Petals, have just put one of those damprid thingies in the wardrobe. Will have to look out for humidifiers too though. Presuming they're sold in the likes of Bunnings?
Yes, they are sold in Bunnings but you may be better getting a air con unit since you'll then have the benefit of a/c and dehumidifying, but the latter can be done without the air con if you want. You just need a window that can open to vent the hot air outside...
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:58 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Once mould gets hold of something it's very hard to get rid of it.

We lived in a very old house in Sinapore with crappy aircon we hardly ever used (don't like it) and never had mould, whereas our friends in shiny condos with new aircon did. Reason? We had the upstairs windows open 24/7 (with fly screens) and the back doors open whenever we were in. We also had "Thirsty Hippos" in every cupboard, replaced often, and we always left shoes out overnight after wearing.

The probem with your apartment is probably that it is airtight, with no airbricks. Can you keep at least a window open?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seasider
Once mould gets hold of something it's very hard to get rid of it.

We lived in a very old house in Sinapore with crappy aircon we hardly ever used (don't like it) and never had mould, whereas our friends in shiny condos with new aircon did. Reason? We had the upstairs windows open 24/7 (with fly screens) and the back doors open whenever we were in. We also had "Thirsty Hippos" in every cupboard, replaced often, and we always left shoes out overnight after wearing.

The probem with your apartment is probably that it is airtight, with no airbricks. Can you keep at least a window open?
Yes, we do open the windows when one of us is home, but on the other hand, I was worried that sometimes there is more moisture outside than in! Fingers crossed that I can get the problem sorted.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slipshot
Yes, they are sold in Bunnings but you may be better getting a air con unit since you'll then have the benefit of a/c and dehumidifying, but the latter can be done without the air con if you want. You just need a window that can open to vent the hot air outside...
Well we'll investigate that, but as we're renters we'll probably have to go for the dehumidifier option for now. Thanks for the info.