Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Defintion of Electrical Mechanic

Defintion of Electrical Mechanic

Old Oct 1st 2003, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough
Default Defintion of Electrical Mechanic

Can anyone tell me where I can find out the differences between the typical work carried out by Electrical Fitters and Electrical Mechanics.
When I had my skills assessed by the TRA for the purposes of Migration the closest matches to my skills were General Electrician and Electrician Special Class. I chose Electrician Special Class and was successful in both my skill assessment and visa application.
Now I find that to be able to carry out any electrical work I require a licence for which I need to have an Australian Recognised Trade certificate (ARTC). As I intend to go to live and work in Victoria I can only be issued a licence there if I have an ARTC as either an Electrical Mechanic or Electrical Fitter. This means I now have to convince TRA (as its TRA that also assess for ARTCs) that I can do the work of either an Electrical Mechanic or Electrical Fitter.
The problem I have is that I dont know what exactly Australia (or more to the point, TRA) percieve as being the work that each of these trades do.

This is pretty frustrating as I have already paid TRA for my skills assessment for Migration along with all my time and other expenses getting my various documents certified; now I have to do it all again. Its a long story (Electrical Trades require proof of several years experience for assessment and for visas), but it looks like I now have to go back to my previous employers for the 3rd time for statements as well.
Once I have the ARTC I then have to apply for a licence, yet more fees and possibly practical assessments and exams.

If anyone can tell me where I can find the definitions of both an Electrical Fitter and an Electrical Mechanic then I would be pretty damn pleased and grateful.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

To quote someone else,

This is from This thread

hi
i am a sparky just moved to brisbane. the game here is that even thiugh the trade people classed me as an electrical mechanic,i am not allowed to work unsupervised,well wot happens is i work on me tod all week then a licensed spark comes in and says yup thats fine.i have to do this for 6 months then take the regs test and the testing test.i am allowed to have an apprentice with me and the hourly rate in qld, on the books permanent is $16.09 p/hr
hopes this helps