Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Definition of 'Success' in Life

Definition of 'Success' in Life

Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Ianevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to all
Default Definition of 'Success' in Life

My friend and I have had discussions on the subject and wanted to know other peoples views as his definition of success in life is money orientated. It seems we were all programed this way- get a good education,get a good job,get a good car,get a good house etc etc
Do you agree?
Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Definition of 'Success' in Life

Originally Posted by Ianevs
My friend and I have had discussions on the subject and wanted to know other peoples views as his definition of success in life is money orientated. It seems we were all programed this way- get a good education,get a good job,get a good car,get a good house etc etc
Do you agree?

I had an ok education which I've improved on over the years, had a complete mixture of jobs, some ok cars & some really rough ones (worst being my astra GTI convertible), I've had a couple of houses but now rent & I have a very messy divorce behind me.

To me success is having my 5 gorgeous kids & being happy & settled. I have a loving husband & am where I want to be in life at the moment.

Alison x
Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I rent a tatty unit, have no car, no partner and no kids (phew!!) but I've got a job I adore which gives me enough money to do want I want with my life - which is largely visiting friends and family. As long as I can pay for my flights, and live OK in between, I'm content enough, so to my mind, thats success.
I guess it is money orientated in a way, but I wouldn't change my job even for more cash - I enjoy it, and it fits my lifestyle, so although cash comes into it, it certainly isn't the be-all-and-end-all.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:57 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
no partner
Aye up, could have sworn you were married to a local Ozzy bloke? You hav'nt been on your toes have you Polly, left him with no supper?

Success is to wake up feeling good, but more importantly to go to bed feeling tired and sleeping well.

Keith
Old Dec 29th 2010, 2:08 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
Aye up, could have sworn you were married to a local Ozzy bloke? You hav'nt been on your toes have you Polly, left him with no supper?

Success is to wake up feeling good, but more importantly to go to bed feeling tired and sleeping well.

Keith
I was, we split All fairly amicable, I even buy him a pint occasionally! And he has plenty of supper - his cooking always was better than mine
Old Dec 29th 2010, 2:10 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

To be completely comfortable with who you are(warts and all) and with whom (if anyone) you share your life. To have achieved new experiences without detriment to others in your life.To have people in your life that make you smile. To have happy well adjusted kids who are given opportunities to make the most of their life. To be financial stable enough to be able to take in the beauty of each day without having to worry about bills.To die not having any regrets.

What we do for ourselves dies with us, what we do for others and the world around us lives on.....

Jan
Old Dec 29th 2010, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Success in life is being able to sleep at night. If you can't you have problems.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 2:26 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

I was, we split All fairly amicable, I even buy him a pint occasionally! And he has plenty of supper - his cooking always was better than mine
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Gotcha. Appologies for any intrusion, just a nosey barsteward i am.

Keith
Old Dec 29th 2010, 2:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
Success in life is being able to sleep at night. If you can't you have problems.
I have problems, big ones, being me.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 2:34 pm
Home and Happy

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Gotcha. Appologies for any intrusion, just a nosey barsteward i am.

Keith
No problem No great secret

I have problems, big ones, being me.
I know that feeling! My secret has been to find friends (especially one) who can keep me in a state that just about resembles sanity!
Old Dec 29th 2010, 2:37 pm
Banned

No problem No great secret

I know that feeling! My secret has been to find friends (especially one) who can keep me in a state that just about resembles sanity!
When i popped out, they took one look at me, slapped my mother, my father has never been seen since.

Keith very sad.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 4:22 pm
Home and Happy

When i popped out, they took one look at me, slapped my mother, my father has never been seen since.

Keith very sad.
Never mind, you have friends here, and you know what they say, you can choose your friends, yer family you are stuck with!
Old Dec 29th 2010, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

scotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan4kids
To be completely comfortable with who you are(warts and all) and with whom (if anyone) you share your life. To have achieved new experiences without detriment to others in your life.To have people in your life that make you smile. To have happy well adjusted kids who are given opportunities to make the most of their life. To be financial stable enough to be able to take in the beauty of each day without having to worry about bills.To die not having any regrets.

What we do for ourselves dies with us, what we do for others and the world around us lives on.....

Jan
Love that Jan - couldn't have put it better myself!
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

I have it on great authority that the answer is:

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:44 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Definition of 'Success' in Life

Originally Posted by Ianevs
My friend and I have had discussions on the subject and wanted to know other peoples views
Contentment. Being content with life. The two most successful people I know are not high earners, not high achievers. One is a baker, the other a medical centre assistant.

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.