Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Definitely the worst thing about Oz

Definitely the worst thing about Oz

Old Jan 8th 2002, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Teri M is just really niceTeri M is just really niceTeri M is just really niceTeri M is just really niceTeri M is just really niceTeri M is just really niceTeri M is just really niceTeri M is just really nice

Having seen various postings on a similar vein to this title, I was VERY concerned at the regular mention of SPIDERS (yuk). Being an extreme arachnaphobe (and I mean EXTREME) I would be grateful if any of you living in Oz could let me know the following:

1. if we end up in Brisbane suburbs, how likely is it that
we`ll be joined by armies of huge spiders in the lounge/bedroom/bathroom?

2. Also, is it true, or am I just being naive in thinking
they like to sit under the loo seat??? (I`ve heard
this is the redback`s favourite haunt).

3. Do fly screens and the usual insect precautions usually
keep them out of the house?

4. Is there anywhere in Queensland where I could attend
therapy for arachnaphobia (Bristol Zoo does it, but
that`s too far for me I`m afraid).

PLEASE, those of you who read these boards and are prone to rather pointed replies, take me seriously... don`t mock..
Old Jan 8th 2002, 10:34 pm
Jason

On Tue, 08 Jan 2002 22:10:36 +0000, Michael Fox wrote:

>
    >
    >

Don't they have huntsman spiders in Brisbane? I remember spotting a large, hairy
spider in my A-frame campo-tel hut thing on Magnetic Island. I assumed that was a
huntsman. Or was it something else?

Jason

--
http://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/ for the UK viz database and trip reports about
Australia, the Caribbean, Spain, the Maldives, Bali and the UK

Old Jan 9th 2002, 12:37 am
Jeff

They do indeed live in brisbane and my girlfriend, also quite the arachnaphobe, ended
up with one of them in her flat one day. she just ran outside and had one of her
aussie friends come over and kill the thing. Just make friends with your neighbors
and they'll take care of any spiders that make it into your place. For all their
size, they're one of the world's most docile and harmless spiders, as far as I know.

In terms of therapy... I'm sure you could find plenty of great mental health
professionals in Brisbane.

Jeff

Jason wrote in message ...
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]>> Very unlikely. In Sydney, yes there are many large huntsman spiders, but not[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> in Brisbane. Of course, you're still likely to see some spiders, especially in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> the garden. But not large ones in the house. At least, if you're living in a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> new house.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 9th 2002, 4:18 am
Thinkbig

There is a mail order company called 'Innovations' in Oz. I picked up an item off
them called 'Pest Control'. It takes about 2 months to work. How it works is: you
plug it in at a central point in the house, over the next 2 months all the little
insects come out of the woodwork into the interior of the house where they starve to
death, so be sure to keep it clean without food scraps etc., after 2 months you will
notice no more insects and because of the lack of insects, you will get reduced
amounts of spiders. It's worked amazingly well for me. It also prevents mice and rats
from getting in, but is perfectly safe for domestic animals. Pest Control sends a
signal through the household wiring. It's incredible.

The 3 most common spiders in households are huntsman which are harmless, daddy long
legs which are the most harmless in Oz and money spiders which are tiny and also
harmless. All 3 are harmless and you have nothing to worry about.

Hope I have been of help.

Regards Emma

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 9th 2002, 5:00 am
Jim

Large spiders however harmless can be disconcerting when found under the toilet
seat.(very inside Or when dropping on your head. I've had both experiences
recently. And I don't live far from Brisbane. No insects no spiders. True. But try
keeping em out. The best (but not the friendliest) option is to have the house and
surrounds sprayed. Cheers Jim

thinkBig wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Having seen various postings on a similar vein to this title, I was VERY[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > concerned at the regular mention of SPIDERS (yuk). Being an extreme arachnaphobe[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > (and I mean EXTREME) I would be grateful if any of you living in Oz could let me[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > know the following:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 1. if we end up in Brisbane suburbs, how likely is it that we`ll be joined by[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > armies of huge spiders in the lounge/bedroom/bathroom?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 2. Also, is it true, or am I just being naive in thinking they like to sit under[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the loo seat??? (I`ve heard this is the redback`s favourite haunt).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 3. Do fly screens and the usual insect precautions usually keep them out of the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > house?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 4. Is there anywhere in Queensland where I could attend therapy for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > arachnaphobia (Bristol Zoo does it, but that`s too far for me I`m afraid).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > PLEASE, those of you who read these boards and are prone to rather pointed[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > replies, take me seriously... don`t mock..[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]

Old Jan 9th 2002, 5:19 am
C.Kelly

Jason wrote:

>
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Very unlikely. In Sydney, yes there are many large huntsman spiders, but not in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Brisbane. Of course, you're still likely to see some spiders, especially in the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > garden. But not large ones in the house. At least, if you're living in a new[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > house.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >

Indeed they do I assume he is thinking of trap-doors.

Cheers, Jocko

Old Jan 9th 2002, 5:30 am
Michael Fox

Yes, there are huntsman spiders here. But not many. In Sydney, our house was
(literally) crawling with them, at least a handspan. In Brisbane, during the two
years I've lived here now, I've only seen one or two around the house. In Sydney, you
could see half a dozen, any day of the year.

I'm not an expert on spiders, but a huntsman is not usually hairy. It's front 4 legs
are significantly longer than it's back 4 legs, which is how to identify them.

Regards,

Michael

Jason wrote in message ...
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]>> Very unlikely. In Sydney, yes there are many large huntsman spiders, but not[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> in Brisbane. Of course, you're still likely to see some spiders, especially in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> the garden. But not large ones in the house. At least, if you're living in a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> new house.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 9th 2002, 5:54 pm
Andrew Hartshorn

Regarding spiders in houses, I would assume that there arn't too many in Brisbane due
to all the little green frogs that crawl all over the walls and ceilings! frogs - no
insects including spiders!

Old Jan 9th 2002, 9:34 pm
Colin

A handspan...jesus, at least there are some advantages to living in grey, rainy,
cold England.

Colin

>
    >
Brisbane,
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >On Tue, 08 Jan 2002 22:10:36 +0000, Michael Fox wrote:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> Very unlikely. In Sydney, yes there are many large huntsman spiders, but not in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> Brisbane. Of course, you're still likely to see some spiders, especially in the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> garden. But not large ones in the house.[/usenetquote2]
At
[usenetquote2]> >> least, if you're living in a new house.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >Don't they have huntsman spiders in Brisbane? I remember spotting a large, hairy[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >spider in my A-frame campo-tel hut thing on Magnetic Island. I assumed that was a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >huntsman. Or was it something else?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >Jason[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >--[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >http://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/ for the UK viz database and trip reports about[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >Australia, the Caribbean, Spain, the Maldives, Bali and the UK[/usenetquote2]

Old Jan 9th 2002, 9:59 pm
Michael Fox

Hey, they're harmless!!!

Compared to all the poisonous creatures out here, the huntsman spiders are really not
a concern.

Regards,

Michael

Colin wrote in message ...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]>> Yes, there are huntsman spiders here. But not many. In Sydney, our house was[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> (literally) crawling with them, at least a handspan. In[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> during the two years I've lived here now, I've only seen one or two[/usenetquote2]
around
[usenetquote2]>> the house. In Sydney, you could see half a dozen, any day of the year.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> I'm not an expert on spiders, but a huntsman is not usually hairy. It's front[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> 4 legs are significantly longer than it's back 4 legs, which is how to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> identify them.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Regards,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Michael[/usenetquote2]

Old Jan 10th 2002, 6:33 pm
Pangus

4. Is there anywhere in Queensland where I could attend therapy for arachnaphobia
(Bristol Zoo does it, but that`s too far for me I`m afraid).

PLEASE, those of you who read these boards and are prone to rather pointed replies,
take me seriously... don`t mock..
--------------------------------------------------
One of Brisbane's Major Public Hospitals,the Princess Alexandra Hospital, ran courses
on "Fear Control". I think it was a general course which was taylored to the
individual participants fear.A friend of mine had attended the course to help him
overcome the fear of Flying and he overcame his fear and flew to London. I cannot
confirm that they still hold these type of courses.

Also The Relaxation Centre at Fortitude Valley in Brisbane holds similar courses.

Good luck and with a strong positive mental attitude you will overcome this fear and
enjoy the thousands of positives that Brisbane has to offer. Peter from Brisbane.

Old Jan 10th 2002, 6:40 pm
Jason

On Wed, 09 Jan 2002 22:59:28 +0000, Michael Fox wrote:

>

Yeah, the poisonous ones are small and unremarkable.

>
    >

You have to put these things into context. More people die of bee stings and allergic
reactions to adder bites in the UK every year than have been killed by salt water
crocodiles in NT.

I'm not keen on your snakes though.

Jason

--
http://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/ for the UK viz database and trip reports about
Australia, the Caribbean, Spain, the Maldives, Bali and the UK

Old Jan 10th 2002, 7:33 pm
Raffi Balmanoukian

in article [email protected], Jason at
[email protected] wrote on 1/10/02 3:40 PM:

>
    >
    >
    >

in context: there are what, 55 million people in the UK? There are roughly 130,000 in
all of the NT. Your point is well taken, though - there is a lot of overhype about
creepy-crawlies.

Old Jan 10th 2002, 8:50 pm
Colin

Christ if one of them landed on my head I would die of a heart attack, never mind
poison !!!!! I have actually been to Oz twice and I am coming back this Summer, never
seen anything nasty yet though.

Colin

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >A handspan...jesus, at least there are some advantages to living in grey, rainy,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >cold England.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >Colin[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> >> Yes, there are huntsman spiders here. But not many. In Sydney, our house was[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> (literally) crawling with them, at least a handspan. In[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >Brisbane,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> during the two years I've lived here now, I've only seen one or two[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> >> the house. In Sydney, you could see half a dozen, any day of the year.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> I'm not an expert on spiders, but a huntsman is not usually hairy.[/usenetquote2]
It's
[usenetquote2]> >> front 4 legs are significantly longer than it's back 4 legs, which is how to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> identify them.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> Regards,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> Michael[/usenetquote2]
    >

Old Jan 10th 2002, 9:43 pm
Michael Fox

They're really quite harmless. I've caught them in my Spider Catcher. The trouble
with the huntsman spiders (in Sydney) was that they were too big to fit into the
spider catcher!! Had no trouble with the redbacks, whitetails, mouse spider, and
various other not so poisonous ones.

I agree that you have to put these things into context. At least 10 times as many
pedestrians die in traffic every year, than are killed by ALL of Australia's
dangerous animals combined (including sharks, snakes, spiders, jellyfish, cone
shells, bees, scorpions, crocodiles and drop bears .

Regards,

Michael

Colin wrote in message ...
    >
never
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]>> Hey, they're harmless!!![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Compared to all the poisonous creatures out here, the huntsman spiders are really[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> not a concern.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Regards,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Michael[/usenetquote2]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.