Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Definately definate

Definately definate

Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Definately definate

Does any one know the extent of mispelling of the words "definite" and "definitely" on the British Expats site, specifically the Australia & New Zealand forum?

We are just about ready to go to bed but I am becoming increasingly concerned about certain facts coming to light, mainly through this excellent web site, concerning the non-perfectness of BE posters.

My main concern is the mispelling of the two words "definite" and "definitely". This is highlighted as a major BE crisis in various, quality, informative threads; which I try very hard not to read, although I do enjoy the occasional silly ones.

I can accept the fact that it won't be sunny everyday, we won't necessarily actually be better off financially, there may be drugs and crime, there will be more creepy crawlies and we won't be eating BBQ everyday but what I will not stand for is suffering an increased mispelling of the words "definite" and "definitely".

I feel very strongly about this and am considering not posting again unless I can be assured of a better understanding of basic English. I mean why log onto the other side of the cyber World just to read more mispelling of the words "definite" and "definitely"?

We have spent 6 months on BE already but I am afraid that we were having far too much of a good time to pay attention; how we learn. Obviously the problem in surfing here is that any issues will become far more exasperated.

Looking forward to any and all advice or thoughts.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL.

As a note. My husband is a culchie and blames the teachers.

*Quote from yesterday's thread: (sorry jimtrish )
jimtrish says to ad4ozz, "thanks for that, will definately tune in, were off to hot townsville"... what is the kid supposed to do?
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:27 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Definately definate

This speling thing definetaly needs looking at, maybe a spell checker would be good

Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Obviously the problem in surfing here is that any issues will become far more exasperated.

As a note. My husband is a culchie and blames the teachers.

*Quote from yesterday's thread: (sorry jimtrish )
jimtrish says to ad4ozz, "thanks for that, will definately tune in, were off to hot townsville"... what is the kid supposed to do?

I am a teacher and also become increasingly worried over the general state of the English used in these forums. However, I am also tolerant of the fact that there are typos, people get generally lazy and resort to 'text' language and that some people just are not good spellers.

However, I do feel that if the need to speak (or type) proper English is to be highlighted the person highlighting it should also have a good grasp of words and meanings.

Issues, being an abstract concept could never become exasperated! They can be exasperating or exaggerated perhaps, but never exasperated themselves. The people with the issue could also be exasperated but then the issues again become quite exasperating.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ushas
However, I do feel that if the need to speak (or type) proper English is to be highlighted the person highlighting it should also have a good grasp of words and meanings.

Issues, being an abstract concept could never become exasperated! They can be exasperating or exaggerated perhaps, but never exasperated themselves. The people with the issue could also be exasperated but then the issues again become quite exasperating.
Try telling PWBCSA that...

Mrs JTL
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Try telling PWBCSA that...

Mrs JTL

Do I have to? It was enough of a mouthful the first time!
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Do I have to? It was enough of a mouthful the first time!
go on...

Mrs JTL
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:43 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

It's a crisis to be sure JTL ... I say hang the buggers that can't quote properly too
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

go on...

Mrs JTL

Lol! Just had a look at the thread! A pedant indeed!

I just love the view...'I blame the teachers'. Because of course it goes without saying that parents aren't required to do any teaching at home and everything a child ever learns should be taught at school, including reading, writing and good manners.

I wouldn't dream of allowing a child (known to me of course) to speak to me in an unacceptable way and would always correct them.

I blame any adult who allows a child to get away with lazy language!

Besides the most annoying Oz thing is going up at the ends of sentences and ending statements with 'but'...

But what??? Is usually my question.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Lol! Just had a look at the thread! A pedant indeed!

I just love the view...'I blame the teachers'. Because of course it goes without saying that parents aren't required to do any teaching at home and everything a child ever learns should be taught at school, including reading, writing and good manners.

I wouldn't dream of allowing a child (known to me of course) to speak to me in an unacceptable way and would always correct them.

I blame any adult who allows a child to get away with lazy language!

Besides the most annoying Oz thing is going up at the ends of sentences and ending statements with 'but'...

But what??? Is usually my question.
Actually, none of these spelling or grammatical mistakes bothers me at all. Languages are for communicating. As long as I can understand what is said or written, I really don't care. English isn't even my first language and I probably make more mistakes than others here - so I can't possibly complain or criticize. I just thought it amusing to read the other thread.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Nov 16th 2004, 12:34 pm
joveazey

I have to say that although it's a bit petty, the double negative thing does my head in too. People always do it on the TV, and not just people in reality TV shows. Spelling is something that annoys people who can do it, but obviously is of no importance to people who can't do it, as they don't know if it's spelled right anyway !

Anyway I don't want nothing to do with no-one who cant spell proply, they need to sort out there grammer and stop makeing me cring every time I loge on.

Jo

Old Nov 16th 2004, 12:39 pm
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by joveazey
I have to say that although it's a bit petty, the double negative thing does my head in too. People always do it on the TV, and not just people in reality TV shows. Spelling is something that annoys people who can do it, but obviously is of no importance to people who can't do it, as they don't know if it's spelled right anyway !

Anyway I don't want nothing to do with no-one who cant spell proply, they need to sort out there grammer and stop makeing me cring every time I loge on.

Jo
I always thought that language was used to communicate
so even if i spell something incorrectly as long as you understand who cares ?

God i wish some of you would get a life, worried about the state of "Cyber" english used on a message board where everyone is in a rush to type so they don't get caught by thier bosses at work .....

chill guys !
Old Nov 16th 2004, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stephenwhite68
I always thought that language was used to communicate
so even if i spell something incorrectly as long as you understand who cares ?

God i wish some of you would get a life, worried about the state of "Cyber" english used on a message board where everyone is in a rush to type so they don't get caught by thier bosses at work .....

chill guys !
have to agree there, I work perm nights..oops sorry thats permanent nights to you lot who have no life. No excuses really, but having 3 kids running round you when you are trying to communicate via your laptop is not easy, add to that maximum 2 hours kip, then you may just understand.
most people arent petty enough to quibble over grammar, its all about making contact and helping each other on this site. If you want to lecture people may I suggest you go elsewhere.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 1:04 pm
you lookin at me?

Ghostface will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jimtrish
have to agree there, I work perm nights..oops sorry thats permanent nights to you lot who have no life. No excuses really, but having 3 kids running round you when you are trying to communicate via your laptop is not easy, add to that maximum 2 hours kip, then you may just understand.
most people arent petty enough to quibble over grammar, its all about making contact and helping each other on this site. If you want to lecture people may I suggest you go elsewhere.
have to agree there, I work perm nights..oops sorry thats permanent nights to you lot who have no life.

and here was us thinking that you were a hairdresser on the nightshift
Old Nov 16th 2004, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ghostface
have to agree there, I work perm nights..oops sorry thats permanent nights to you lot who have no life.

and here was us thinking that you were a hairdresser on the nightshift
indeed
Old Nov 16th 2004, 1:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs JTL - PMSL, that was a perfect parody of yesterdays ridiculous post!

as for me - I am coming to terms with the fact that when i was a kid I used to get told that there was never an "S" in the end of you,,,,,,,,and that known and shown had no "E" in them.
Now I live in Queensland, and I am being showen by yous who live here that I actually have been saying things wrongly all these years.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.