Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Declaring items at the airport.

Declaring items at the airport.

Old Jul 11th 2012, 10:27 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Declaring items at the airport.

Originally Posted by stevewales25
Correct!!
But like I say I arrive from Singapore at 6.25am so can't see the airport being very busy anyway.
You would be incorrect, though. There are 2 flights landing within 10 minutes of each other at that time of day. One from HK at 6:15 and one from SIN at 6:25. Throw in the remnants of the 5:25 from KL and you've got a busy immigration and customs area. And if you're arriving on a Friday there's also the 6:40 from Denpasar.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

stevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nice

Great! Haha. Thanks for the info though!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
He isn't asking if he should declare, he's asking if its worth deliberately bringing something to declare as that queue may well be shorter than the 'nothing to declare' queue.
Ooops. Shouldn't reply to posts without drinking coffee first.

TBH, I've never had problems getting through AQIS whether I've had stuff to declare or not. Getting through passport control has always been the delay for me.

Cheers

LG
Old Dec 26th 2012, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of

Hi Guys

I am returning to Oz in Jan.

To be clear - I want to bring in sealed dry roasted nuts in my hold luggage - so just write that on the form and declare and they wont take them off me, have I got that right?

x
Old Dec 26th 2012, 6:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
Hi Guys

I am returning to Oz in Jan.

To be clear - I want to bring in sealed dry roasted nuts in my hold luggage - so just write that on the form and declare and they wont take them off me, have I got that right?

x
No. As stated earlier in the thread, nuts are not allowed in, they will be confiscated.

(edited to add - if you are lucky and the AQIS person had a good day you might get them through, but generally even the nuts onn a Walnut Whip cause its confiscation)

Last edited by Pollyana; Dec 26th 2012 at 8:22 am.
Old Dec 26th 2012, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No. As stated earlier in the thread, nuts are not allowed in, they will be confiscated.
Hey Hey Polly they let me in
Old Dec 26th 2012, 6:09 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
Hey Hey Polly they let me in
I guess if it comes to that they let me in as well
Old Dec 26th 2012, 6:30 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stevewales25
Correct!!
But like I say I arrive from Singapore at 6.25am so can't see the airport being very busy anyway.
Have you any hair left after all that
Old Dec 27th 2012, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

(edited to add - if you are lucky and the AQIS person had a good day you might get them through, but generally even the nuts onn a Walnut Whip cause its confiscation)
I'm sat here eating dry roasted peanuts brought in from uk... Declared at customs by my niece and nephew..... They brought 6 large bags with them... And the grey nomads always brought them over....

Perhaps they were allowed in coz they don't have dry roast peanuts here so didn't know what they are

You want some? They're yummy.....
Old Dec 27th 2012, 1:31 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by eddie007
I'm sat here eating dry roasted peanuts brought in from uk... Declared at customs by my niece and nephew..... They brought 6 large bags with them... And the grey nomads always brought them over....

Perhaps they were allowed in coz they don't have dry roast peanuts here so didn't know what they are

You want some? They're yummy.....
I love em, and if they get in thats great, don't bank on it though. Nuts are supposed to be banned.
It does depend on who you get, how closely they look at the stuff coming in etc - one of those grey areas like artificial berries on hats and stuff containing dry milk powder. I got hassle this time bringing in sealed supermarket Christmas puddings, do it every year, first time they've argued "no way cos they contain fruit" Supervisor rolled her eyes and waved me through, puddings and all.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 7:50 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I love em, and if they get in thats great, don't bank on it though. Nuts are supposed to be banned.
It does depend on who you get, how closely they look at the stuff coming in etc - one of those grey areas like artificial berries on hats and stuff containing dry milk powder. I got hassle this time bringing in sealed supermarket Christmas puddings, do it every year, first time they've argued "no way cos they contain fruit" Supervisor rolled her eyes and waved me through, puddings and all.
Apparently the official line on dry roasted nuts is that they are OK to bring in but need to be inspected at point of arrival. I have found over the years that so few customs people seem to have any idea of what is and isnt OK it really isnt funny. Some will want to disinfect a pair of shoes in your bag if they have a blade of grass on them but wont look at the shoes on your feet.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 9:17 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by chris955
Apparently the official line on dry roasted nuts is that they are OK to bring in but need to be inspected at point of arrival. I have found over the years that so few customs people seem to have any idea of what is and isnt OK it really isnt funny. Some will want to disinfect a pair of shoes in your bag if they have a blade of grass on them but wont look at the shoes on your feet.
Thats why some things are more dodgy to bring over than others - some stuff is always OK, but others will depend on who is on that day.
Funniest thing I ever brought in was Flying Saucers - those rice paper sweets filled with sherbet. They only showed up on the X-ray machine as being a pile of white powder...........
Old Dec 27th 2012, 1:09 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thats why some things are more dodgy to bring over than others - some stuff is always OK, but others will depend on who is on that day.
Funniest thing I ever brought in was Flying Saucers - those rice paper sweets filled with sherbet. They only showed up on the X-ray machine as being a pile of white powder...........
Will we be seeing you on an episode of 'nothing to declare'?
Old Dec 27th 2012, 5:39 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Will we be seeing you on an episode of 'nothing to declare'?
no that was a few years ago and after being introduced to the delight of flyging saucers they let me in with my precious bagful! Very funny though, apparently rice paper doesn't show up on the xray machine.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 5:56 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

no that was a few years ago and after being introduced to the delight of flyging saucers they let me in with my precious bagful! Very funny though, apparently rice paper doesn't show up on the xray machine.
I've watched quite a few of those programs so when we were on holiday last year I declared everything down to the chewing gums in my pocket - we actually got through everything real quick and they weren't that interested in what we had

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.