Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Declaring items at the airport.

Declaring items at the airport.

Old Jul 10th 2012, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

stevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nice
Default Declaring items at the airport.

I am just wondering on how many people deliberately bring something to Australia when flying in and having some nuts/food or whatever that needs declaring to pass through airport checks quicker? A hell of a lot of people I know do this just wondered if anyone here does it and is it worth it?
Old Jul 10th 2012, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Declaring items at the airport.

Originally Posted by stevewales25
I am just wondering on how many people deliberately bring something to Australia when flying in and having some nuts/food or whatever that needs declaring to pass through airport checks quicker? A hell of a lot of people I know do this just wondered if anyone here does it and is it worth it?
IMO yes, it's worth it.

From memory (the was a linked document on here about 7 years ago), even packets of sweets and chewing gum is supposed to be declared. Home made cake works well in terms of ensuring you go through the "declaration" line.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 3:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevewales25
If you have nuts, declare them and hand them over. They will not be allowed in. Don't even think about not declaring, its not worth it.

I always have a small mountain of food with me, crisps, sweets etc, I make a list, show it to the AQIS guys and mutter something about "ïts the usual pommy food stuff" - that usually gets a laugh now, and a wave through without the bags being X Rayed (this is Brisbane, relatively quiet, very early morning).
Old Jul 10th 2012, 3:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
IMO yes, it's worth it.

From memory (the was a linked document on here about 7 years ago), even packets of sweets and chewing gum is supposed to be declared. Home made cake works well in terms of ensuring you go through the "declaration" line.
Yep, everything, even one packet of polos has to be declared.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Declare EVERYTHING.. They have scanners that show everything up... Dont you watch border patrol/control/police.... Or whatever that crap show is that I dont watch?????

In fact... If you make lists and itemise everything in great detail... And start unpacking everything to show them they'll probably waive you through quicker than if you actually DO have nothing to declare....

We get Dry Roast peanuts brought over... They are always declared and have never been confiscated.... I imagine most aussies dont know what they taste like... If they did they would deffo be having them off us.....
Old Jul 10th 2012, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

stevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nice

That it why I asked the question. I know it would be absolutly stupid to have something and not declare it. I am arriving at Perth next Thursday and will be deliberately bringing a packet of crisps/chocolate bar to declare just so I get through the checks/nothing to declare line quicker. I arrive at 6.25am so it will be quite anyway I hope.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 4:08 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Take anything you want mate,they'll be too busy confiscating from the asian mob to bother with you
Old Jul 10th 2012, 9:02 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

I always have a small mountain of food with me, crisps, sweets etc, I make a list, show it to the AQIS guys and mutter something about "ïts the usual pommy food stuff" - that usually gets a laugh now, and a wave through without the bags being X Rayed (this is Brisbane, relatively quiet, very early morning).
I did the list thing and we were just waved through - that was Sydney, about 4 flights had landed together and it was really busy
Old Jul 10th 2012, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

My brother was very disappointed when he came to visit. I had warned him to declare the Bisto he was bringing us. So he duly filled out the form and went through the declare channel. They really weren't interested. He told everyone he saw repeatedly and my sister in law said she started getting really embarrassed when he started adding in "but it's a beef product.......from the UK!" really loudly.

We got our Bisto but I think he'd have been more satisfied if they'd interrogated him or frisked him or summat.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 10:39 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Before you could buy it here, I tried to bring in a jar of Hellmanns mayonnaise but had it confiscated because of the egg content.

(Still don't know why the egg content of the Hellmanns in the supermarket is different to the egg content of the one I tried to bring, but anyway...)

I didn't realize it was was quicker to pass through the declare queue... I've always done it ... but will now make sure I do.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 10:52 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

always declare. especially the organic items (wooden articles, food, seeds, tea) and bundles of cash including foreign currency
(if exceeds A$10k equiv). there are sniffer dogs and xray machines and physical
inspection of baggage.

also starting 1 sept. the tobacco allowance will
decrease to 50 pieces.

the declaration is a legal document. $220 on the spot fine or even face prosecution.

search "border security" on youtube.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 10:56 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
Before you could buy it here, I tried to bring in a jar of Hellmanns mayonnaise but had it confiscated because of the egg content.

(Still don't know why the egg content of the Hellmanns in the supermarket is different to the egg content of the one I tried to bring, but anyway...)

I didn't realize it was was quicker to pass through the declare queue... I've always done it ... but will now make sure I do.
eggs are of high quarantine risk for avian influenza despite being processed into packaged food products.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

Came in 4 weeks ago, had load of food for the kids on the plane they didn't eat so declared that plus our prescriptions. Was very disappointed nothing searched, checked or opened and having watched that border programme not even a sniffer dog!
It was 5 am...
Seriously, declare everything.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 11:00 pm
Daffyd Duck

i even declare my panadol.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 11:03 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
eggs are of high quarantine risk for avian influenza despite being processed into packaged food products.
Yes, I know eggs (and lots of things) are a problem (and did declare) but don't know why an importer can bring in Hellmanns mayonnaise by the box and joe blow can't bring in his single shop sealed jar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.