Forum Regular

PaulDClark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Declaring goods < 12 months old

Originally Posted by rudo1ph
Well because I've been so helpful please can I have some good Karma
As much as you like!
Old Aug 10th 2004, 8:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla1
We've declared nothing on our forms even thou we have bought little bits and bobs. We bought a new pc about last November with a flat screen but estimate our stuff won't be there till November anyway. We also have new laptop digi camera and camcorder which are all going hand luggage so will ensure they looked well used.

On the selling front we are taking an extra piano to flog as apparently they are expensive to buy in Oz!! BTW are antiques taxable??

Like Pollyanna I aint seen a thread where someone has been "caught out" at customs.

Walla
Try a pm to MrsDagboy - I think Dagboy brought some old/antique stuff over, and she did post something about it on one of these shipping threads, but I can't remember the details!
Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:51 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

We declared everything, listing specific items (mostly low value electrical items 30-100GBP) and lumping some stuff together (kids clothes approx value 150GBP etc). We didn't get charged for anything. We also bought a laptop in Singapore for about 600GBP and declared that - no problem either as it fell within the duty free allowance for our family of 5. To be honest the woman at immigration didn't seem interested, but then it was 5am when we arrived. We also listed all garden items/wood even though our shipper said to lie about this and the new items. Again, everything got through without any charges, though it was inspected.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 1:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
We also listed all garden items/wood even though our shipper said to lie about this and the new items. Again, everything got through without any charges, though it was inspected.
It seems they generally inspect it, then let it in. Having read numerous posts from Mr Mover on this subject, I can't believe that shippers are so stupid - this is the second post lately where I've heard that the shippers have told the customer to lie about garden stuff & wood - the new stuff is one thing, but they will come down hard at AQIS if they find wood or garden things undeclared. A bit of GST lost by customs is one thing, but if AQIS find wood etc, they are looking at possible pests that can cause major damage, and in Aus that is bad news.
Please guys, even if you don't declare the new stuff, ignore advice of idiot shippers when it comes to the AQIS-inspected stuff, and declare it all.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 3:08 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone ever been asked to provide receipts for electrical goods?

How would you prove they were over 12 months old, or are they really not that interested?

Agree with the comments about the wood, it is irresponsible not to declare it!
Old Aug 11th 2004, 9:24 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi There

I just got all my belongings yesterday............think they carried them all the way from bloody \brisbane but anyways........I had a brand new dyson.....guitar......and a few other things...................every single box of mine had been checked by customs and they didnt charge me anything.

We put some peelable stickers and stuff on the guitar to make it look older, and also on my laptop which I took as jhand luggage and it never even got looked at. Think they r going to think its dodgy if u have several of the same item, boxed, new cos then u coulod be going to sell it on
Good Luck