Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Decisions, decisions: Opinions?

Decisions, decisions: Opinions?

Old Oct 31st 2005, 5:54 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Decisions, decisions: Opinions?

I would appreciate anybody'd input with this quandry...

I am a teacher and was originally planning to get out to Oz in August '05, but given the ridiculous time it's taking me to get my very simple house sale through means that I proabably won't make it until the last week of November.

Given that the schools break up for the long vacation on December 22, and that I've pretty much missed most of the education recruitment already, should I still head out in late November or consider postponing, having a relaxing last christmas with friends and family in the UK, then head out to Oz early in the new year?

I'm concerned that 3 months without any real opportunity of obtaining a job, and the inevitable expense of christmas in Oz may scupper my plans and see me running out of money much earlier than anticipated. I also have the possibility of getting very regular supply work in the UK in the run up to christmas, which would help to bolster the coffers before I go.

I know this is a difficult thing to decide, so any thoughts would really be appreciated. I can't wait to go, but don't want to jeaopardise my long term future for the sake of 6 weeks. Don't worry - I won't hold anything you say against you!

S
Old Oct 31st 2005, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Decisions, decisions: Opinions?

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

I'm concerned that 3 months without any real opportunity of obtaining a job, and the inevitable expense of christmas in Oz may scupper my plans and see me running out of money much earlier than anticipated. I also have the possibility of getting very regular supply work in the UK in the run up to christmas, which would help to bolster the coffers before I go.

S
Taking this part of your question into account I know what I'd do.

Even though you're probably desperate to go it's only a few months delay- you've got the rest of your life in Australia and if you can earn money in the run up to Christmas here then stay. Christmas is less than 2 months away.

IMO you'd have a bit less stress by delaying.

Good luck

Suzy x
Old Oct 31st 2005, 6:48 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Given your circumstances, and especially in the light of the supply work you mention, I'd definitely leave it until the new year. Do the UK christmas thing like you mentioned, save a bit more money to tide you over should it prove more difficult than you imagined to land a teaching job and go out with a clear plan in early 2006. Judging from your wording, I'd say that you'd pretty much decided on that course of action already - I think it's the most logical course of action
Old Oct 31st 2005, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

oldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really nice

I am a teacher and was originally planning to get out to Oz in August '05, but given the ridiculous time it's taking me to get my very simple house sale through means that I proabably won't make it until the last week of November.

Given that the schools break up for the long vacation on December 22, and that I've pretty much missed most of the education recruitment already, should I still head out in late November or consider postponing, having a relaxing last christmas with friends and family in the UK, then head out to Oz early in the new year?

I know this is a difficult thing to decide, so any thoughts would really be appreciated. I can't wait to go, but don't want to jeaopardise my long term future for the sake of 6 weeks. Don't worry - I won't hold anything you say against you!

S
Take the MONEY..EEEEEE..YES...!!!!!!

And bolster the coffers....!!!
Cheers " scrooge " Oldgit
Old Oct 31st 2005, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

elaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant future

And I agree with all of the above. We have had our visas since JAN 05, HAD TO FINISH RENOVATING THE HOUSE AND IT WENT ON THE MARKET 4 WEEKS AGO , ONE OFFER WHICH CAME TO NOTHING AND STILL WAITING. SO thank your lucky stars that everything is going through and hang on until the new year. New Year--New life!! Then you can celibrate in style.

Elaine x x x
Old Oct 31st 2005, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

KarenS is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a teacher too and i would agree with the rest of the advice. after all, Xmas is such a great time in school!!! Just wondered if you have jumped through the registering to teach hoop. I am in the process of filling it all in to teach in victoria and would appreciate any experiences of this!
Old Oct 31st 2005, 10:42 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KarenS
I am a teacher too and i would agree with the rest of the advice. after all, Xmas is such a great time in school!!! Just wondered if you have jumped through the registering to teach hoop. I am in the process of filling it all in to teach in victoria and would appreciate any experiences of this!
Thanks for that. Seems to be where the smart money lies, so to speak.

Well, I think it is sorted out. I have registered with the NSW Institute of teachers, who say everything is hunky dorey. Teach NSW on the other hand are less helpful and say there are problems with my quals. NSWIT say they have the final word, so I should ignore them. Confused yet? I still am. I think I've taken it as far as I can without actually being in the country, so I'll pick it up again when I arrive. Nothing like knowing that everything is all up in the air still!

S
Old Oct 31st 2005, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

aussiesoon will become famous soon enough

Hi!

I'm a teacher in NSW. You will be able to teach in private schools straight away (although some break up as early as 8th Dec!!). However in order to teach in public schools, you will have to have your qualifications recognised (I'm assuming you haven't taught in NSW before). This involves applying online or by paper on the teach NSW site (prooving qualifications, CV, Transcripts from Uni etc). I did this last Jan and then didn't hear anything until April. You then need to attend a 2 day course in Sydney, followed by a three week teaching practice in a local school (unpaid). After this you will have an interview and then receive your approval to teach. My Teaching prac was in June, interview in August and approval rec'd in Sept.

All non-Australian teachers need to go through this process. There seem to be no exceptions. In the UK I was a Primary Head and then a School Improvement Consultant, but still had to go through it. On my course there were teachers with 20 years experience. The system is 'one size fits all' and really needs rethinking.

The worst thing is that once you have your approval, you are added to a list with your preferred teaching locations. Once a job comes up in that area and you are at the top of the list, you are offered the job. There are a few jobs advertised, especially around Sydney, but in general permanent jobs take years to attain.

Sorry to depress you, but on the other hand private schools are plentiful.

If I can help, please let me know,

Rachel.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

S
Hi , although i am not a teacher, my friends are , i am teaching assistant.
So if i was you i would relax and enjoy christmas at home with family and friends, i would have but because of my hubbys job we had to come out just before. You do have the rest of your life ahead of you, enjoy christmas, i wish i could just come home for xmas. Denise
Old Nov 1st 2005, 12:53 pm
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by aussiesoon
Hi!

I'm a teacher in NSW. You will be able to teach in private schools straight away (although some break up as early as 8th Dec!!).

The worst thing is that once you have your approval, you are added to a list with your preferred teaching locations. Once a job comes up in that area and you are at the top of the list, you are offered the job. There are a few jobs advertised, especially around Sydney, but in general permanent jobs take years to attain.

Sorry to depress you, but on the other hand private schools are plentiful.

If I can help, please let me know,

Rachel.
Hi Rachel,

Thanks for your info. I was aiming for the private sector in any case, as I was recommended to do so by a friend that works for the DET! He suggested that state based teaching was not the way forward for me. Quote: "the bureauracracy of this place is something like that of the East German Coal board crica 1959, but with less purpose and direction!"

Am I right in thinking that I have pretty much missed most of the recruitment for the private sector now? I was in Oz in October two years ago, and it all seemed to dry up by the end of the month. I guess most places have secured their teachers for the new term by then.

Luckily, I am qualified to teach a range of subjects, and my speciality is Physics, so I am hoping not to have too much trouble in finding a job of some description when the schools are open again. I have registered with a couple of agencies, and they have pretty much told me to go away and come back in the new year.

I think that I have pretty much decided to sit tight and cool my heels until the new year now. It's a shame, and means that I will miss my first Oz Christmas, and also half the summer, but I guess common sense and finances must come first

Thanks for all your input folks. I guess I'll see you all in the new year now...

S