Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Decided to make the move (hopefully!) - psychology academia

Decided to make the move (hopefully!) - psychology academia

Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:31 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decided to make the move (hopefully!) - psychology academia

ps, not sure about wages for bar work in other states, but in Perth the very minimum would be around $15 per hour, so your hubby could earn more than you think. If he's thinking of doing bar work, he would need a 'Responsible Service of Alcohol' qualification, this can be done online fairly cheaply (around $35, from memory), This is a perfectly acceptable way to get this certificate and employers are happy to hire staff who've done the online course.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:53 am
Just Joined

new-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nice

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
ps, not sure about wages for bar work in other states, but in Perth the very minimum would be around $15 per hour, so your hubby could earn more than you think. If he's thinking of doing bar work, he would need a 'Responsible Service of Alcohol' qualification, this can be done online fairly cheaply (around $35, from memory), This is a perfectly acceptable way to get this certificate and employers are happy to hire staff who've done the online course.
Very useful information, thank you. My husband is a food store manager at the moment, and has an alcohol licensing certificate which I imagine would be similar to the qualification you've mentioned (obviously he'd have to take the Aus version). Interesting about the minimum wage ... it seems only 16 hours pw would bring in around $12,000pa - surprisingly more than I thought
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:58 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by new-leaf
Very useful information, thank you. My husband is a food store manager at the moment, and has an alcohol licensing certificate which I imagine would be similar to the qualification you've mentioned (obviously he'd have to take the Aus version). Interesting about the minimum wage ... it seems only 16 hours pw would bring in around $12,000pa - surprisingly more than I thought
I'd be cracking the whip and telling him you expect at least 20 hours a week

Yep, he'll definitely need the RSA certificate. Owners of licenced premises (pubs, clubs etc) and their staff in Oz can be sued if staff keep serving people who are obviously inebriated (I was going to say who are pissed, but wouldn't want you to think Aussies aren't couth)
Old Apr 8th 2013, 11:13 am
Just Joined

new-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nice

I'd be cracking the whip and telling him you expect at least 20 hours a week

Yep, he'll definitely need the RSA certificate. Owners of licenced premises (pubs, clubs etc) and their staff in Oz can be sued if staff keep serving people who are obviously inebriated (I was going to say who are pissed, but wouldn't want you to think Aussies aren't couth)

We're a complete role-reversal in this house. I plod off to work and earn the cash whilst my husband looks after our toddler-whirlwind, cleans and tidies!
Old Apr 8th 2013, 11:32 am
Concierge

We're a complete role-reversal in this house. I plod off to work and earn the cash whilst my husband looks after our toddler-whirlwind, cleans and tidies!
Sort of similar here, except my husband took early retirement and our kids are all adults. I LOVE coming home to a clean house, all the washing and ironing done, and a yummy meal cooking.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

Sort of similar here, except my husband took early retirement and our kids are all adults. I LOVE coming home to a clean house, all the washing and ironing done, and a yummy meal cooking.
My husband is a great home-maker - I'm rubbish! Screw you 1950's
Old Apr 8th 2013, 1:05 pm
Concierge

My husband is a great home-maker - I'm rubbish! Screw you 1950's

I always said I needed a wife!