British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Is this a decent salary for Perth prices? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/decent-salary-perth-prices-807075/)

Wasps1976 Aug 25th 2013 6:27 am

Is this a decent salary for Perth prices?

I am half way through the interview process for a teaching job which is offering a salary of 130.000 dollars. I was wondering if anyone could advise me if this salary is a good one for a family of two ( just me and my husband). Also I would have to rent near peppermint grove? This suburb would be out of my price range, so any suggestions as to where to start my search would be gratefully received.

galba Aug 25th 2013 6:55 am

Re: Is this a decent salary for Perth prices?

Is it PLC? Nice school, great staff and beautiful surroundings.

If it's just the two of you you could get a an apartment in Mosman Park, Cottesloe, Claremont, North Fremantle, Nedlands, Swanbourne. Depends what you want to spend on rent. Rent would be from $350 upwards. Commute would be 5 minutes in the car!

Otherwise, you could go further afield and spend a bit less.

Wasps1976 Aug 25th 2013 7:43 am

Thanks for your reply Galba.

I am not going to mention the actual school at this moment( don't want to jinx the interview lol). Thank you for this suggestions, We would be looking for a house as we would be bringing our three dogs with us, so would need enough space for them.

old.sparkles Aug 25th 2013 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Wasps1976 (Post 10867952)
Thanks for your reply Galba.

I am not going to mention the actual school at this moment( don't want to jinx the interview lol). Thank you for this suggestions, We would be looking for a house as we would be bringing our three dogs with us, so would need enough space for them.

If you plan on bringing pets, I would sort out their paperwork as soon as you know as it can take a while - or they'll have to spend a long time in quarantine. Also, there's often a waiting list for quarantine places it seems.

Wasps1976 Aug 25th 2013 7:54 am

Thank you old sparkles. Once I have clarification on the job I will begin looking, I am prepared for the expense...well just about lol. Do you happen to know if finding a rental property might be difficult with three dogs? Would you suggest getting references from our current neighbours as to how quiet they are etc?

old.sparkles Aug 25th 2013 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Wasps1976 (Post 10867973)
Thank you old sparkles. Once I have clarification on the job I will begin looking, I am prepared for the expense...well just about lol. Do you happen to know if finding a rental property might be difficult with three dogs? Would you suggest getting references from our current neighbours as to how quiet they are etc?

I'm not entirely sure that you can have 3 dogs in Perth. It might vary with different councils, but I'm sure I remember the limit being 2 :unsure:

Hopefully someone from the area will know :confused:

galba Aug 25th 2013 10:20 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 10867979)
I'm not entirely sure that you can have 3 dogs in Perth. It might vary with different councils, but I'm sure I remember the limit being 2 :unsure:

Hopefully someone from the area will know :confused:

Our council in the Western Suburbs only allows 2 dogs, you have to fill in an application if you want more. You can check the council websites.

Zen10 Aug 25th 2013 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Wasps1976 (Post 10867869)
I am half way through the interview process for a teaching job which is offering a salary of 130.000 dollars. I was wondering if anyone could advise me if this salary is a good one for a family of two ( just me and my husband). Also I would have to rent near peppermint grove? This suburb would be out of my price range, so any suggestions as to where to start my search would be gratefully received.

Teachers get paid $130,000 per year? I know academics and lawyers who don't earn that. This isn't just a regular public school, one presumes.

spouse of scouse Aug 25th 2013 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Wasps1976 (Post 10867973)

Hi Wasps. Your 3 furry friends will unfortunately complicate your life here, firstly because I don't know any metropolitan councils that allow more than 2 dogs per (fully detached) property - I'm not sure what exemptions are offered if any. Secondly, you're going to need to rent a fully detached house, an apartment is out with the dogs, and most units/villa complexes have rules about pets - some will allow one small pet but I don't think you'd find any that allow 3 dogs. If you want to rent in the Western suburbs (Mosman Park, Claremont, Nedlands etc) then the very minimum rent you'd be looking at is $500 for a small, old house, and the sky's the limit!

Have a look on the maps on realestate.com.au to get an idea of suburbs which look as though they offer a reasonable commute to Peppy Grove., people on BE will be able to comment on specific suburbs if you'd like to post a list of 'possibles'.

The Australian Tax Office has calculators which will allow you to work out your after tax pay. The salary you're being offered is a good one for teachers.

Exciting times for you, happy planning!

kips Aug 25th 2013 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Zen10 (Post 10868272)
Teachers get paid $130,000 per year? I know academics and lawyers who don't earn that. This isn't just a regular public school, one presumes.

Exactly what I was thinking. My son's previous primary school teacher was on $70k. I thought that was the average.

jackieh23 Aug 25th 2013 1:48 pm

WA teachers/administrators/principals are now some of the highest paid in Australia.

This is the list of current salaries.
http://www.sstuwa.org.au/news/195-kn...ule-a-salaries

Independant schools are closely aligned to the public system.

The words "Snowball"and "hell" spring to mind with your comment on 3 dogs and even more so with trying to find a rental property.

Having "references" from your neighbours to show they have had no problems and from your local vet (to prove they are well cared for) and certificates to show how well trained they are all suggestions that were made to us when moving interstate. Basically it comes down to whether the Council thinks it is ok and your neighbours in Perth are happy....which you can't prove until you get here.

The instances of being given approval by Council for more than 2 dogs that I am aware of has only been when one of the dogs is very very old.

Wasps1976 Aug 25th 2013 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Wasps1976 (Post 10867869)

Thanks all. I can easily get references for the dogs, but I am very concerned about the risk of not finding a property that would take three dogs. Does anyone know of any suburbs that do?
Also with regard to my salary, it is not obviously just a teaching role. But I don't think it's appropriate for me to discuss the details etc.

Still Game Aug 25th 2013 2:56 pm

To answer your question, in my opinion, yes $130k is a very good salary.... however... it entirely depends on what you want to pay per week in rent, what foods you purchase at the supermarket and how often you drink and eat out. If you want to check foods, go to a Oz supermarket website (like coles) and do an online shop for comparison choosing the same (or very similar) products. You may be surprised.

Will your husband be working also?

I would say yes $130k is very good.

spouse of scouse Aug 25th 2013 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Wasps1976 (Post 10868530)
Thanks all. I can easily get references for the dogs, but I am very concerned about the risk of not finding a property that would take three dogs. Does anyone know of any suburbs that do?
Also with regard to my salary, it is not obviously just a teaching role. But I don't think it's appropriate for me to discuss the details etc.

I don't think anyone's asking for details of the job, just commenting on the salary in relation to the going rate for teachers :)

I really don't know what to suggest about your dogs. The only 'kennel area' (zones which allow more than 2 dogs for registered breeders) is a part of Canning Vale which is miles and miles from the Western suburbs. Others might be able to suggest other areas but they will be in 'special rural' areas, so no good to you either.

Although some Councils will accept written applications to keep more than two dogs, you'd need to know your Perth address as part of the process involves the Rangers visiting to check that there is sufficient space etc - you'd also need letters from surrounding residents saying they have no objections to you having 3 dogs - all impossible for you to do from overseas. I don't mean to sound so gloomy about it all but unfortunately I don't rate your chances at all, there's too much in the way, what with finding a property that will allow 3 dogs and the difficulty in getting approval from the local Council.

The only thing I can think of that might help is if you contact Dogswest, formerly the Canine Association of WA. Although their main purpose is to promote responsible breeding of pure breeds, they may be able to give you some advise. I do wish you luck.
http://www.dogswest.com/dogswest/Home.htm

northernbird Aug 25th 2013 3:12 pm

As everyone has suggested you may well get a permit to keep 3 dogs but you will struggle to get a rental with them.

As for locations to live you could look at Subiaco, Leederville, Cottesloe, Scarborough. Not that far to go to Peppy Grove.

Good luck with your interview.