Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Decent fishing rod. How much?

Decent fishing rod. How much?

Old Sep 24th 2006, 2:50 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Decent fishing rod. How much?

Coming back to Oz soon and keen to get a bit a fishing done. How much for a decent rod? And how much for a licence? Thannks in advance. BTW i'm coming to Sydney!
Old Sep 24th 2006, 3:38 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decent fishing rod. How much?

I'd be really interested to know this too, would like to buy hubby a rod etc for Xmas. Would like to know what other stuff is required, what is best and what to avoid.
Thanks, Tracey
Old Sep 24th 2006, 3:49 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Coming back to Oz soon and keen to get a bit a fishing done. How much for a decent rod? And how much for a licence? Thannks in advance. BTW i'm coming to Sydney!
Where are you intending to fish?
Old Sep 24th 2006, 3:50 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Where are you intending to fish?

In the sea.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 3:56 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

In the sea.
In NSW recreational fishing licences are available for three days $5, one month $10, 1 year $25 or three years $70. (prices may be subject to change)
If you have a current freshwater licence, you can use it to fish in all waters, including saltwater, until it expires.
If you're planning to fish from a charter boat or go with a fishing guide, ask the operator if you're covered by their exemption certificate. If the operator has paid an annual fee, you may not need to purchase your own fishing licence.

If your fishing surf you'll need a long rod I use a 12' with an Alvey reel, if your fishing estuary a 7'-9' with a light fixed spool would be adequate. Decent tackle is expensive, reasonable gear can be bought from places like A-Mart Allsports.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 8:10 am
Freedom!

When i said decent. I meant something that doesnt break the first time i use it. Resonable price is what i'm looking for. Nothing too expensive. K Mart you say?
Old Sep 25th 2006, 8:44 am

When i said decent. I meant something that doesnt break the first time i use it. Resonable price is what i'm looking for. Nothing too expensive. K Mart you say?
AMart Allsports sell a full range from the kids holiday rod up to the $400 buck Shimano top of the range job. I find them a lot cheaper than any tackle shop I've ever been in on a like for like basis. The large retail store bigger purchase power cheaper tackle concept works for me.
Just been in there today and they have a Shimano sfs surf rod and reel combo advertised for 50% off marked price [150 bucks], Shakespear tempest rods are 35% off marked price [80 bucks]

Last edited by cresta57; Sep 25th 2006 at 9:05 am. Reason: typo
Old Sep 25th 2006, 8:56 am
Freedom!

I am not really a fisherman.But i'm keen to learn. I have only ever fished in Oz and NZ. Really have no idea where to start, what to buy etc. Rod and reel. Then what? Weights and hooks? etc etc Any advice appreciated.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

A bloke only zone can be found here http://www.bcf.com.au/

WW
Old Sep 25th 2006, 9:08 am

I am not really a fisherman.But i'm keen to learn. I have only ever fished in Oz and NZ. Really have no idea where to start, what to buy etc. Rod and reel. Then what? Weights and hooks? etc etc Any advice appreciated.
Borrow a couple of books from the library to learn the basics then have a walk on the beach and a chat to the blokes fishing re terminal tackle [rigs and bait] most blokes are friendly enough to give you a few hints and tips.
If you go to Amart or BCF the guys there will happily spend hours talking to you about what you need to buy and how to use it. They get paid to talk about fishing lucky buggers

Last edited by cresta57; Sep 25th 2006 at 9:11 am.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 11:20 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
A bloke only zone can be found here http://www.bcf.com.au/

WW

'Scuse me, what about me, I'm a woman

Tracey
Old Sep 25th 2006, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nightnurse2
'Scuse me, what about me, I'm a woman

Tracey
WANTED

Good woman view marriage.
Must be able to cook and clean.
Must like fishing.
Must own a good fishing boat with an outboard motor.

Send photo of boat and motor.

WW
Old Sep 25th 2006, 12:56 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Decent fishing rod. How much?

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
WANTED

Good woman view marriage.
Must be able to cook and clean.
Must like fishing.
Must own a good fishing boat with an outboard motor.

Send photo of boat and motor.

WW
We looked at a Shimano rod for our boys 9th Birthday and it is an all round one for river or sea etc. It is $240.00 in Amart and the bloke (who gets paid for talking about fishing all day) said you cant go wrong with one of these. The Shimano one also has a ten year warranty with it as standard. Must go back in there in the next couple of days now if there is an offer on!

Have looked at books in the shops too as you need to know what you are catching and there are some good ones that even tell you if they are good or poor eating etc........oh, and if they are poisonous too ! ! !

Also told by the bloke from the shop that no licence required in Queensland.

R.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 2:14 pm
happy to be here!

Originally Posted by Carruss
We looked at a Shimano rod for our boys 9th Birthday and it is an all round one for river or sea etc. It is $240.00 in Amart and the bloke (who gets paid for talking about fishing all day) said you cant go wrong with one of these. The Shimano one also has a ten year warranty with it as standard. Must go back in there in the next couple of days now if there is an offer on!

Have looked at books in the shops too as you need to know what you are catching and there are some good ones that even tell you if they are good or poor eating etc........oh, and if they are poisonous too ! ! !

R.
Cheers, this is a bit easier for me to understand
Will have a look,
Tracey
Old Sep 25th 2006, 2:35 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carruss

R.
I would be very wary of buying a fishing rod that is called an 'allrounder'

No such rod exists. There are many forms of fishing in Lakes, rivers, estuaries and the sea (never mind bank or boat). There also many types of fish of different sizes needing different methods.

I have over 50 rods and I do not fish in the sea. Get more advice and be careful before you part with any money.

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.