Wikiposts

decent dog food

Old Nov 3rd 2006, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: decent dog food

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
The vets...........and also our dogs are bathed every 2 weeks, and the ladyb who does it is very knowlegdable regarding pets. SWhe advised us that many of her regular dog owners have had problems with pedigree food stuffs.
Hi Sandra,

So what does Pedigree do to the pets? We've been feeding Jock Pedigree everyday along with some leftover bland cooked meat from home-made stock (no onions/leek/salt added, just carrots and celery). He hasn't had any problems and our vet's been commenting the improvement of Jock's healthy since we picked him up from the pound 2 years ago.

The only time Jock doesn't like his dog food is if we get a big bag in the summer when it's more humid and the food isn't as crunchy as during the cooler and dryer months. We tend to get small bags and put them in an air-tight container when it's warm.

Is Pedigree bad for certain type of dogs? Or perhaps just dogs with sensitive stomach? If there are long term problems with the food, we would appreciate it if you could elaborate.

Thanks,
Mrs JTL
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dave - Jackie
Got our 2 dogs (both lab x) out of quarantine about 6 weeks ago. Both are well except they are always hungry trying to scrounge food, steal from our dinner table and eating cr*p (none of which they ever did in the UK) - they are often sick in the middle of the night too. Our vet can find nothing wrong with them (had blood tests and everything). We're feeding them Pedigree dry dog food and also pedigree tins on occassions, but think we may need to change their diet.

Can anyone recomend a good dog food over here ?
They probably lost a bit of weight whilst in quarantine so are now making up for it!

There is a train of thought in Aust that a raw meat and vegetable diet is the best for adult dogs. Most butchers will sell off cuts for pets. You will also find plenty of pet stores which sell fresh meat.

Our year old boxer (and I had experience of one in the UK with a dodgy stomach!) eats a combination of raw and processed and we do not have any problems. I do not buy the most expensive. In fact her favourite is raw chicken carcasses or wings (about $1.40 per kg) which she devours. Today she has had a roo tail which also went down a treat. She will also eat quite happily various bits of fruits and vegetables, stale bits of bread, etc.

HTH
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:05 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Hi Sandra,

So what does Pedigree do to the pets? We've been feeding Jock Pedigree everyday along with some leftover bland cooked meat from home-made stock (no onions/leek/salt added, just carrots and celery). He hasn't had any problems and our vet's been commenting the improvement of Jock's healthy since we picked him up from the pound 2 years ago.

The only time Jock doesn't like his dog food is if we get a big bag in the summer when it's more humid and the food isn't as crunchy as during the cooler and dryer months. We tend to get small bags and put them in an air-tight container when it's warm.

Is Pedigree bad for certain type of dogs? Or perhaps just dogs with sensitive stomach? If there are long term problems with the food, we would appreciate it if you could elaborate.

Thanks,
Mrs JTL
We could'nt feed our Boxers with Pedigree either,i think it just depends on certain breeds to be honest.We had to use James wellbeloved.
Boxers are well known for having 'sensitive stomachs'

Donna.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:06 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desire
Been feeding our dogs on semi dried food called "Optimum" was told by our local vets this was a balanced and healthy diet for dogs.
But my two dogs seem bored with it and sometimes one of them is occasionally sick. My Neighbour (dog lover) said to me that maybe they need variety in their diet. Just thought i would ask on here of your experiences.
As you can tell we are new to this lark!
Raw chicken or turkey knecks, see your local butcher.
Bones are very soft , and digestable and cheap to buy ....... mm
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:23 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madsad
We could'nt feed our Boxers with Pedigree either,i think it just depends on certain breeds to be honest.We had to use James wellbeloved.
Boxers are well known for having 'sensitive stomachs'

Donna.
our boxer also had james wellbeloved in the uk. i was quite worried about her dodgy stomach. she was ill in quarantine, so much so that they wanted to call a vet out, she had lost so much weight.

we gave her purina over here, from any supermarket, and her stomach has been great. she is well behaved. but, she does seem so much more hungry over here. we dont give her any acraps (well not much anyway, just bits off meat and gravy). she isnt half as bad as she used to be in the uk). maybe dogs are just hungrier out here?

i was also told by a vet pedigree is a no no - but, each to their own.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

I just think its a pretty sweeping statement to say the most popular dog food around is "the worst food you can feed you dog on!!!!"

Theres a reason why its the most popular. It well researched, balanced diet for a dog.

If your dog has got a dodgey stomach, well thats different.

I've had three dogs in 20 years, the first one lived to 16 in good health, second one is still alive in good health in the UK and is 12 years old acting like a 6 year old, and our current one is 6 years old and is alot healthier than we when we first got him from the dog pound.

The dry food base for all my dogs meals are pedigree. I add extras like chicken or gravy or rice or potatoes or whatever.

But to come out with some nonsense like "Pedigree is the worst food you can feed you dog on!!!!"

Your boxer has the squits get over it. Its not the dog food.

JTL
Old Nov 4th 2006, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

Weve just changed our dogs to Pedigree Natural...they look fantastic on it and no more dodgey bellies
Old Nov 4th 2006, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

RogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura about

Our 4 retreivers thrived on Chappie dried food in the UK. We tried Pedigree dried here in Australia as Chappie not available but after a visit to the vet for our eldest who was having tummy trouble (we later suspected accidental poisoning of some sort, now ok) we changed to Advance for senior dogs and they love it.
Roger
Old Nov 4th 2006, 9:25 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

our dog wont eat ANY of the dog food......I remember reading an article in the UK that said that all dog foods can give ur dog stomach cancer, and basically it is mushed up crap. I also know someone who used to work in a dog food manufacturing co and he said u wouldn't give your dogs it if you knew what was in it.

That 'FRESH' processed stuff u get in the supermarkets here were also on Today Tonigh earlier in the year saying that they had less than the daily req for a lot of the vitamins etc dogs needed and was actually making them ill.

When the supermarket has a special on mince $4.70 a kilo I buy loads...divide it up into bags and put it in the freezer, works out very cheap. Then I add pasta, rice, vegies he loves raw carrot and weetbix for fibre. He also likes raw chicken and basically anything we eat. I would say he is a healthy looking wee thing
Old Nov 4th 2006, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

TracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really nice

Got our 2 dogs (both lab x) out of quarantine about 6 weeks ago. Both are well except they are always hungry trying to scrounge food, steal from our dinner table and eating cr*p (none of which they ever did in the UK) - they are often sick in the middle of the night too. Our vet can find nothing wrong with them (had blood tests and everything). We're feeding them Pedigree dry dog food and also pedigree tins on occassions, but think we may need to change their diet.

We have a 3 year old pure lab, we feed him Supercoat dry food and a bit of Natures Own tinned food, someone once told me that Pedigree dog food (tinned) is full of water. Our dog is doing very well on this food.

Tracy
Old Nov 5th 2006, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

You can get roo meat in the pet area of the fridge in most supermatkets.
We cooked it in a large pot, chuck some chopped sweet potato in and half a bag of pasta. Top up with a bit of water and cook for about 20 minutes, we then keep in icecream containers in the fridge.
Both Lampard and chelsea have 50/50 cooked dinner and biscuit. She has puppy biscuit, he has biscuit for sensitive skin.

My dogs cost me a fortune, but I worship them, thats why they get only the best!!!!
Old Nov 5th 2006, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I just think its a pretty sweeping statement to say the most popular dog food around is "the worst food you can feed you dog on!!!!"

Theres a reason why its the most popular. It well researched, balanced diet for a dog.

If your dog has got a dodgey stomach, well thats different.

I've had three dogs in 20 years, the first one lived to 16 in good health, second one is still alive in good health in the UK and is 12 years old acting like a 6 year old, and our current one is 6 years old and is alot healthier than we when we first got him from the dog pound.

The dry food base for all my dogs meals are pedigree. I add extras like chicken or gravy or rice or potatoes or whatever.

But to come out with some nonsense like "Pedigree is the worst food you can feed you dog on!!!!"

Your boxer has the squits get over it. Its not the dog food.

JTL

Can I just ask why you are getting so het up over this post.
I am just posting what I was advised by the vets............that pedigree is crap.
He didnt say it was only our dogs that were bad on it he said it was full of crap..............his words not mine!!!
Also it doesnt give my dog the squits............as he suffers an allergy the gives him sore and itchy skin!
Old Nov 6th 2006, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Can I just ask why you are getting so het up over this post.
I am just posting what I was advised by the vets............that pedigree is crap.
He didnt say it was only our dogs that were bad on it he said it was full of crap..............his words not mine!!!
Also it doesnt give my dog the squits............as he suffers an allergy the gives him sore and itchy skin!
I'm not 'het up' about it. I just think your giving dodgey advice based on your own experience.

I gave my experience, three very healthy dogs all living long healthy lives, yet you make the sweeping statement that Pedigree is full of crap?

So, my dogs have all been healthy eating pedigree, your dogs have problems. Its a bit of a generalisation to say its crap, just cos yours can't take it. "It didn't work for your dogs" would be more accurate.

JTL
Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

Hi there both of you

Just wanted to let you know that we are thinking of you and hope all is well in Brissy! Sorry to Hijack your thread! I presume that you eventually sold the house.

Lindsey
Old Nov 6th 2006, 7:30 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

We give our dog Purina Bonnie working dog mix. It comes in big 4st sacks of dryed food, comes in different mixes/protien rangers depending on if your dog is a worker or not. Have found it good so far no sloppy craps, dog healthy and low odour craps. Used to use Gilpa in UK but couldn't get it here.
It is Aussie made and has the good old kangaroo in it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.