decent dog food

Old Nov 4th 2006, 1:28 am
Just Joined

Dave - Jackie will become famous soon enoughDave - Jackie will become famous soon enough
Default decent dog food

Got our 2 dogs (both lab x) out of quarantine about 6 weeks ago. Both are well except they are always hungry trying to scrounge food, steal from our dinner table and eating cr*p (none of which they ever did in the UK) - they are often sick in the middle of the night too. Our vet can find nothing wrong with them (had blood tests and everything). We're feeding them Pedigree dry dog food and also pedigree tins on occassions, but think we may need to change their diet.

Can anyone recomend a good dog food over here ?
Old Nov 4th 2006, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all
Default Re: decent dog food

Originally Posted by Dave - Jackie
Got our 2 dogs (both lab x) out of quarantine about 6 weeks ago. Both are well except they are always hungry trying to scrounge food, steal from our dinner table and eating cr*p (none of which they ever did in the UK) - they are often sick in the middle of the night too. Our vet can find nothing wrong with them (had blood tests and everything). We're feeding them Pedigree dry dog food and also pedigree tins on occassions, but think we may need to change their diet.

we tried loads for our boxer we find royal canin is the best for her we feed her small amount on a morning and small amount evening seems to work!
Old Nov 4th 2006, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave - Jackie

I'm sure there will be a Pet Barn, or something similar, near where you are. They have a great variety of dry food as well as fresh meat. Canned meat has never
suited my dogs, especially Pal! Hope this is of some help.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 3:03 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

We have Pedigree dry dog food in Australia so they wont need to change.

If you do want to change then try Advance. Its made by Pedigree but is the premium dog food over the normal Pedigree. Incidentally Pal is the cheap stuff they make. All the same company - three different grades (and costs) of food.

A vet friend of mine said Advance is probably the best way to go - or Eukanuba. Both readily available.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 4:00 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get dog food which is also free of additives and is organic.

This question might get some more expert help at

Dogz Online forums. They're a friendly bunch, and could prob help more with the behavior issues and recommend you some dog food suppliers.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Pedigree is the worst food you can feed you dog on!!!!

Our eldest boxer has a sensitive stomach and lives on kangaroo meat cooked up with sweet potato and a little bit of pasta. we then mix in a cup full of Purina One biscuit ideal for dogs with sensitive stomachs
Old Nov 4th 2006, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

ormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really nice

Originally Posted by sj oldfield

Our eldest boxer has a sensitive stomach and lives on kangaroo meat cooked up with sweet potato and a little bit of pasta. we then mix in a cup full of Purina One biscuit ideal for dogs with sensitive stomachs
I have a 4 year old Boxer and here we can only feed him Chappie as its easily digestible as he gets a dodgy stomach on other foods. Do they sell Chappie in Aus or something similar?
Old Nov 4th 2006, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ormrod7
I have a 4 year old Boxer and here we can only feed him Chappie as its easily digestible as he gets a dodgy stomach on other foods. Do they sell Chappie in Aus or something similar?

Not sure, but i wouldnt feed my 2 boxers with the crap you get here in tin dog food!!!!!!
Old Nov 4th 2006, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

What do you base that on?

JTL
Old Nov 4th 2006, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
What do you base that on?

JTL

The vets...........and also our dogs are bathed every 2 weeks, and the ladyb who does it is very knowlegdable regarding pets. SWhe advised us that many of her regular dog owners have had problems with pedigree food stuffs.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold

Been feeding our dogs on semi dried food called "Optimum" was told by our local vets this was a balanced and healthy diet for dogs.
But my two dogs seem bored with it and sometimes one of them is occasionally sick. My Neighbour (dog lover) said to me that maybe they need variety in their diet. Just thought i would ask on here of your experiences.
As you can tell we are new to this lark!
Old Nov 4th 2006, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Desire
Been feeding our dogs on semi dried food called "Optimum" was told by our local vets this was a balanced and healthy diet for dogs.
But my two dogs seem bored with it and sometimes one of them is occasionally sick. My Neighbour (dog lover) said to me that maybe they need variety in their diet. Just thought i would ask on here of your experiences.
As you can tell we are new to this lark!

Have you tried mixing the dry food with some 'wet'
Our 2 have their 'roo' mixed with the biscuit, and they love it.
Good for their teeth, bones and stomachs
Old Nov 4th 2006, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold

No, but i think i shall try it. Roo is reasonably cheap a? I feel so mean just giving semi dried food all the time, surely that can't be right?
Old Nov 4th 2006, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

ormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really nice

We feed our dog half and Half, Tinned Chappie which stinks but he loves it and Dried Chappie.
He seems to enjoy the wet food more though.
Not all tinned food must be crap?
You can get Science Plan and Royal Canin in tins which the vets rave about there must be something similar?
Old Nov 4th 2006, 9:13 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree with SJ OLDFIELD.

Tinned food is basically made with crap,so therefore IS crap
I feed my girls on roo meat,pure chicken minced meat(minced myself!),or a cheaper version of butcher meat that you would buy & eat yourself,cooked up with any fresh veggies spare & rice or pasta,least then u know what your dogs are eating!!!

I do use dry food too,pedigree chum,feed 1/2 & 1/2,the girls also love fish so buy tinned tuna,sardines etc...buy pigs ears,trotters,rawhide chews for inbetween treats.

Donna.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.