Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Debt In UK Immigrating To Australia

Debt In UK Immigrating To Australia

Old Jun 6th 2018, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Debt In UK Immigrating To Australia

You did say that you were emigrating to Patagonia, didn;t you ?
Old Jun 6th 2018, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

bigdaveaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
You did say that you were emigrating to Patagonia, didn;t you ?
Absolutely.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I know you think you will never be returning to UK (my husband said the same thing) but you should, if you havent got it already, also get your UK citizenship. Belt and braces you know! Your wife may want to return one day (never thought I would be the one to need to do it!)

Sounds like you will be well set up enough to afford to repay your UK debts - always better to do that than let them fester away just in case you do ever need not to have them on your record.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 5:38 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I know you think you will never be returning to UK (my husband said the same thing) but you should, if you havent got it already, also get your UK citizenship. Belt and braces you know! Your wife may want to return one day (never thought I would be the one to need to do it!)
The OP can make the application before he goes and attend the citizenship ceremony in Australia if needs be.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The OP can make the application before he goes and attend the citizenship ceremony in Australia if needs be.
I may do in the future, i just have to much on my plate for the time being.

I have ILR and my son who had dual nationality was actually born in the UK so i am going to be eligible for it for quite some time.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigdaveaus

I have ILR and my son who had dual nationality was actually born in the UK so i am going to be eligible for it for quite some time.

Two years or more out of the country with ILR will mean your ILR will lapse.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 7:27 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Remember, everything done to s debt makes it bigger. UK agency sells 10k debt onto a hardline agency for 2k, but for you it grows to 12k. That agency licates you by hassling your relatives landlird friends etc. uses that info to sell it to oz agency for 4k, your debt however becomes 15k.

Oz agency finds you, hassles you, gets your credit facility destroyed, maybe you pay, maybe you dont, its all down to lical laws what they are allowed to do/take.

You move to Thailand where the agency has you beaten up, prisoned etc [just pointing out some countries are pretty hostile to foreign debters] then you go back to the uk where you are presented with your 20k debt.

Of course bankruptcy can sometimes protect you in some ways but introduces its own issues, you cant get a job anywhere in the govt or legal or financial etc world with that debt, but you might be able to avoid paying for a long time / ever.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 7:56 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You’ll stop being eligible once you’ve spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the previous 12 months. That your son and wife are British citizens won’t help with the residence requirements but being married does exempt you from having to intend to reside in the UK after naturalisation. You can give your Australian address on the application form and have your ceremony at your nearest British consulate.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

You’ll stop being eligible once you’ve spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the previous 12 months. That your son and wife are British citizens won’t help with the residence requirements but being married does exempt you from having to intend to reside in the UK after naturalisation. You can give your Australian address on the application form and have your ceremony at your nearest British consulate.
Awesome thank you i will look into this.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I absolutely do believe in paying my debts, I hope for the best but plan for the worst.

I wanted to know how to talk to them should I find myself in a position where I may have to arrange a payment plan etc.

And also what and how they do to chase you, i merely wanted to find out if there was a way they could ruin any future attempts at purchasing a home for my family.

While I have work opportunities open to me i still need to get my safety courses renewed and do one or two new ones depending on which route I choose to go for example confined spaces for the mines etc.

thanks again for your reply
Let's be honest, you are going to skip the debts. That's fine. Your call. But your father is 72 and hers is much younger (one of the reasons for never heading back). What happens when your father pops off and your father in law is the next one with an age issue? Your wife may want to return and you won't really have a reason not to.

As for purchasing the family home, there's a little thing called the banking royal commission going on here right now and it's about to change just about everything to do with acquiring debt.

I wouldn't be so sure giving the flick to UK debt is a wise move moving forward given what changes are taking place

PS. Edit. If you are intending on paying the debt, watch out for exchange rate fluctuations. That can badly mess with you.

Last edited by Beoz; Jun 6th 2018 at 9:05 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Beoz
Let's be honest, you are going to skip the debts. That's fine. Your call. But your father is 72 and hers is much younger (one of the reasons for never heading back). What happens when your father pops off and your father in law is the next one with an age issue? Your wife may want to return and you won't really have a reason not to.

As for purchasing the family home, there's a little thing called the banking royal commission going on here right now and it's about to change just about everything to do with acquiring debt.

I wouldn't be so sure giving the flick to UK debt is a wise move moving forward given what changes are taking place

PS. Edit. If you are intending on paying the debt, watch out for exchange rate fluctuations. That can badly mess with you.
Genuinely not thinking of skipping on the debt, because the opportunities and the plans i have are worth far more to me.

My plan is to go over make regular payments and then settle.

Otherwise it would not be a fresh start.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

That's good to know!
Old Jun 7th 2018, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Do it now! It's quite painless.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 12:12 pm

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...itizen-form-an

Old Jun 8th 2018, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

I've looked into it and its not possible for me to do it.

I leave on the 27th this month time to apply.

Cant do it from abroad either apparently so

I lose my ILR i guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.