Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Debt- did u/will u pay it off b4 moving?

Debt- did u/will u pay it off b4 moving?

Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:25 am
Just Joined

roseredskye is just really niceroseredskye is just really niceroseredskye is just really niceroseredskye is just really niceroseredskye is just really niceroseredskye is just really niceroseredskye is just really niceroseredskye is just really niceroseredskye is just really niceroseredskye is just really nice
Default Debt- did u/will u pay it off b4 moving?

We ar going to try and pay off as much of it as possible but i doubt we'll have it all paid off before emmigrating. What has everyone else done about their debt?
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Debt- did u/will u pay it off b4 moving?

Originally Posted by roseredskye
We ar going to try and pay off as much of it as possible but i doubt we'll have it all paid off before emmigrating. What has everyone else done about their debt?
uh oh! Not this again.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
uh oh! Not this again.

Yeah but, no but we have a 'friend' whos sick of all the feivign scumbag immigrants coming to the UK so they decided to emigrate to somewhere better like erm a country where they dont attract that sort of riff raff, anyway yeah but its like leave UK dont pay yer bills, saw there were 984 over threads on this so sounds like its legal. We havent been to OZ but just know its for us and no blooody way are we going back to that shite hole UK so whats it matter if they debt collectors are chasing my mother/sister/children for our debts, we wont ever need credit or a mortage or a bank account there again, besides nobody ever returns from OZ to UK do they
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Sorry, don't want to appear unhelpful & I don't know how to do link to a thread, but if you do a search you will find loads of threads about this.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Mmm, really helpful.

Anyhow, have you thought about contacting everyone and seeing if you and they can come to an agreement? It might be possible that they will settle for a lesser amount if you pay in a lump sum. The Citizens Advice Bureau can and will help you with that.

Or you can carry on paying from here by using someone like tranzfers to transfer it to a UK bank and pay it by DD.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:52 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

you can carry on paying it off after you have moved to Oz, however it can prove expensive paying off something in pounds from aussie dollars.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:56 am
Just Joined

roseredskye is just really niceroseredskye is just really niceroseredskye is just really niceroseredskye is just really niceroseredskye is just really niceroseredskye is just really niceroseredskye is just really niceroseredskye is just really niceroseredskye is just really niceroseredskye is just really nice

i will now do a search in regards to this. As you will see i am new to this forum and haven't quite mastered full navigation around it. Sorry to have bored you with it.

Jad n rich- i don't think my post implied anywhere, that i was intending doing a runner from my debt, or indeed leaving for collection agencies to pester my family. My inquiry was, whether most people come to OZ debt free or pay exisitng accounts from the OZ. Your implication that i'm some sort of chav is pretty unfair.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

i will now do a search in regards to this. As you will see i am new to this forum and haven't quite mastered full navigation around it. Sorry to have bored you with it.

Jad n rich- i don't think my post implied anywhere, that i was intending doing a runner from my debt, or indeed leaving for collection agencies to pester my family. My inquiry was, whether most people come to OZ debt free or pay exisitng accounts from the OZ. Your implication that i'm some sort of chav is pretty unfair.
Just ignore the numpty's. Hope you find the info you need, I know there's been lots on here in the past about it. Good luck and welcome to BE.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

The question about paying your debts or 'not' pops up just about every second day as the first reply indicated. Its freqency is not without its ironic side, and 99 times out of 100 attracts 2 type of advice, how to avoid debt or anger from people it pi55es off.

Excuse my humour but I think a lot of people now can see a almost funny side to it.

If your paying your debts, good on ya, not sure why you posted the thread then, but if you want my serious advice, I'd pay up, the amount of people who return to UK after a few years is pretty high.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The question about paying your debts or 'not' pops up just about every second day as the first reply indicated. Its freqency is not without its ironic side, and 99 times out of 100 attracts 2 type of advice, how to avoid debt or anger from people it pi55es off.

Excuse my humour but I think a lot of people now can see a almost funny side to it.

If your paying your debts, good on ya, not sure why you posted the thread then, but if you want my serious advice, I'd pay up, the amount of people who return to UK after a few years is pretty high.
As i said, i'll have paid most off but not all in most likelyhood, so posted to find out what people in my position did, ie wait till it was all paid off, continue payments from OZ etc etc. It's maybe better u don't jump to conclusions, if i wanted to know how to ditch my debt i'd have asked exactly that.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:32 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

You asked a perfectly decent question and should ignore the t***s who cant read. I see nothing in your post about doing a runner. Maybe I am blind since a few other people seem to...

Anyhow :-

You could keep your UK bank account open and service the debts by making regular payments into it from your Australian account. You would do this by using a money transfer company and for smaller and regular amounts I would suggest http://www.tranzfers.com/ which has a flat rate fee of about 7GBP I seem to recall.

Just make sure that your UK account has internet banking and wont need you to call into a branch to do anything etc.

Last edited by Kapri; Feb 12th 2008 at 10:11 pm. Reason: language
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Yeah but, no but we have a 'friend' whos sick of all the feivign scumbag immigrants coming to the UK so they decided to emigrate to somewhere better like erm a country where they dont attract that sort of riff raff, anyway yeah but its like leave UK dont pay yer bills, saw there were 984 over threads on this so sounds like its legal. We havent been to OZ but just know its for us and no blooody way are we going back to that shite hole UK so whats it matter if they debt collectors are chasing my mother/sister/children for our debts, we wont ever need credit or a mortage or a bank account there again, besides nobody ever returns from OZ to UK do they

Don't worry mate, I think it's funny. The others have obviously been Australianised and lost their sense of 'umour.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:41 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Pay up. Leave with a clear conscience.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Potato_potato

Don't worry mate, I think it's funny. The others have obviously been Australianised and lost their sense of 'umour.

Next time I will restrain my humour and post seriously.

Contact your debt company, their address will be on the loan agreement, make arrangements to pay from overseas, should be very easy in this electronic age.

Howzatt
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

I would pay it off before moving, come here with a clean slate. Paying GBP debts in AUD would hurt - depending on the amount of course.

I know you haven't suggested doing a runner, but for those who are contemplating this, be very careful because there's a good chance you'll end up back in the UK within 3 years. Most of the Brits I know are either staying here and are miserable, they're heading back soon, or are making plans to move back in the next 1-2 years.

I have never met a Brit in Australia who is truly happy. Never! You won't understand how you'll feel until you're here and going through it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.