Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Debt collection agencies, chasing from uk

Debt collection agencies, chasing from uk

Old May 15th 2010, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Debt collection agencies, chasing from uk

Hi all,

before leaving the uk in Jan 2008 hubbie and I made sure everything was cancelled, and eveything paid up to date.

About 3 months after being in Oz, I asked Vodafone why I was still getting e-mails telling me my bill was ready.
Hubbie and I had put our cancellation letters in the same envelope, and sent them off, he had got a letter to say his cancelation date was in Feb 2008, I got a letter to say my cancelation letter had not been signed, and to phone them to confirm my identity. Now, the letter was 100% signed, as it was in my maiden name and hubbie and I had a big conversaation about it while I signed. Anyway, phoned up, they said account cancelled from the date they recieved the letter.
So, it turned out that although they had a record of the letter AND the phone call, and agreed I had cancelled it then, they had not actually cancelled the account. It took a fair few e-mails with them offering to discount the amount they were trying to charge me, and me saying, no they were paid up until the time the contract ended, and anything after the date they agreed I had cancelled on was their problem. They eventually said ok, account is cleared and closed.

This week HUBBIE has had a letter delivered to my parents house, which they never had as an address for us, from a debt collection agency saying that he owes £40 odd for unpaid bills. They have the final date as being just over a month from the end of the one month notice period.
We had all post redirected to Oz for 6 months after we moved, and he never had any letter saying he owed any money, they had even written and told him the letter was recieved and the account would be closed! Of course we no longer have that letter (although I do still have all the e-mails concerning my account).

Our uk bank account does have my parents address as the primary address, and my parents are worried that they will get black listed. So far they have returned the letter with a note saying he has moved to Australia, and given his e-mail address.

I am FUMING with Vodafone, as if the hassle I had with them was not enough. It isn't even like we left them with bills, it was all paid up, all notices given etc.

Does anyone have any advice?
Old May 15th 2010, 9:18 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all
Default Re: Debt collection agencies, chasing from uk

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Hi all,

before leaving the uk in Jan 2008 hubbie and I made sure everything was cancelled, and eveything paid up to date.

About 3 months after being in Oz, I asked Vodafone why I was still getting e-mails telling me my bill was ready.
Hubbie and I had put our cancellation letters in the same envelope, and sent them off, he had got a letter to say his cancelation date was in Feb 2008, I got a letter to say my cancelation letter had not been signed, and to phone them to confirm my identity. Now, the letter was 100% signed, as it was in my maiden name and hubbie and I had a big conversaation about it while I signed. Anyway, phoned up, they said account cancelled from the date they recieved the letter.
So, it turned out that although they had a record of the letter AND the phone call, and agreed I had cancelled it then, they had not actually cancelled the account. It took a fair few e-mails with them offering to discount the amount they were trying to charge me, and me saying, no they were paid up until the time the contract ended, and anything after the date they agreed I had cancelled on was their problem. They eventually said ok, account is cleared and closed.

This week HUBBIE has had a letter delivered to my parents house, which they never had as an address for us, from a debt collection agency saying that he owes £40 odd for unpaid bills. They have the final date as being just over a month from the end of the one month notice period.
We had all post redirected to Oz for 6 months after we moved, and he never had any letter saying he owed any money, they had even written and told him the letter was recieved and the account would be closed! Of course we no longer have that letter (although I do still have all the e-mails concerning my account).

Our uk bank account does have my parents address as the primary address, and my parents are worried that they will get black listed. So far they have returned the letter with a note saying he has moved to Australia, and given his e-mail address.

I am FUMING with Vodafone, as if the hassle I had with them was not enough. It isn't even like we left them with bills, it was all paid up, all notices given etc.

What a joke!! Bunch of chancers!!

Personally, I would write a very strongly worded letter and have it sent registered delivery to Vodaphone, and a copy to the debt agency stating the above. I'd also be asking why it has taken them almost 2 and a half years to make contact!

Good luck!
Old May 15th 2010, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Our uk bank account does have my parents address as the primary address, and my parents are worried that they will get black listed.
Tell your parents not to worry, they can't be 'black listed' for a debt that isn't theirs.
Old May 15th 2010, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

I had the same problem with vodaphone. Dont worry about it . Dont pay them and if you return to the uk there are loads of other companies
Old May 15th 2010, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark wool
I had the same problem with vodaphone. Dont worry about it . Dont pay them and if you return to the uk there are loads of other companies
Yer, they do seem to have a habbit of this. Maybe a warning to people still in the UK??

Thanks very much everyone.
Old May 15th 2010, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

We had a letter from a debt collection agency, which although for only about £28 or thereabouts, they were threatening court action. I thought I had been quite anal about paying/stopping everything - letter went to my hubbys parents that nobody had an address for???? My first reaction was to quickly pay it, but letter arrived here from parents and it was on behalf of Readers Digest for a book that was delivered to our previous address about 10 months after we moved. I checked the debt agency out on internet and they seemed cosher.

Contacted debt agency who just said (with no argument) that debt had been sent back to originator Contacted R.Digest who said it's been sorted again with no argument, whole thing was very strange.....

It was a bit embarrassing having this sent to our families home.....
Old May 15th 2010, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes indeed, very embarrising. It says it is just for calls made according to my Mum who was then believing that he must owe the money. The dates they are listing we were not even in the country and it was after the contract was cancelled! Idiots.

We will try the, 'yer, show us how we owe this money, as we don't think we do, and IF we do, why were we not told for 6 months after leaving the uk (being the time the redirection was running for)'.

Thanks again everyone, good to know we are not the only ones to have gone through this.
Old May 16th 2010, 12:15 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

I had something similar. Thought I'd paid up all outstanding debts/bills.

My dad rang me just after xmas to tell me that Virgin Media had sent them a letter asking for a final amount. How did they get his address? It was my former address, and my Dad is a Virgin Media customer, but I can't believe they can just make assumptions using data thats over 10 years old!!!

Anyhow, I rang them and asked them to send me a new bill/invoice and then I'd pay. They told me they couldn't because one had already been issued - not sure where though . After some fuss they agreed to send a 'duplicate' for £5.

I'm still waiting for it.
Old May 16th 2010, 2:01 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I had terrible trouble with vodafone sending letters to my Dads address. I owed about 50 quid (or so they said) for calls made when I was already in Australia and couldn't have made them! My Dad returned them to sender saying I no longer lived at that address. Took about 5 attempts but they eventually stopped.
Old May 16th 2010, 2:06 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Send them a letter... advise them to look at the stamp on the outside of the envelope... and then tell them to **** off.
Old May 16th 2010, 1:26 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

There must be some huge business growing in the UK in the sale of Debt.

If someone is prepared to buy a debt of £50 or less. In my experience in Credit collection its not worth chasing at all.

We had one case like this we simply informed the company of our Aus address and commenced correspondence from here. Its actually sinfull how many companys will just not let you go.

Plus on a side note if you have a bank account in your name it appears that somehow these companies can get a hold of the address of that account? Maybe I'm old fashioned but is that info not meant to be protected?
Old May 16th 2010, 2:37 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

With these small amounts where they threaten court action l wonder if its just a threat and they would never take you to court because going to court would cost them 10 or 20 times more then the amount they get back?
Old May 16th 2010, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

As with any debt supposedly owed...........
Ask them to provide proof of debt, for example, statements / copies of the bill, and a copy of the signed agreement you have supposedly entered in to.
Something along the lines of the attatched should do nicely

IF a total stranger walked up to you in the street and said "hey, you owe XXXX $500, and I'm here to collect it....... What would you do ?

Debt companies buy these debts on a spreadsheet and expect to recover only about 10 to 15% of them. When they buy them for pennies there's cash to be made from a few threatening letters / phone calls
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Re - alleged debt.doc (24.0 KB, 181 views)

Last edited by Rossi; May 16th 2010 at 3:13 pm.
Old May 16th 2010, 11:32 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't accept legal advice on t'internet that isn't properly sourced. There's a ton of utter nonsense being spread on internet forums by well-meaning dingbats about what debts are and aren't enforceable.
Old May 17th 2010, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Please don't accept legal advice on t'internet that isn't properly sourced. There's a ton of utter nonsense being spread on internet forums by well-meaning dingbats about what debts are and aren't enforceable.
I fail to see where anyone has yet offered legal advice ????

Not a debt collector by any chance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.