Debt avoidance: Anybody caught?

Debt avoidance: Anybody caught?

Old Jun 7th 2005, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough
Default Debt avoidance: Anybody caught?

Hi,

I am not interested in discussing the right or wrong of it but:

Has anybody refused to pay back UK debts and suffered a disadvantage whilst here in Australia.

Lets hear the facts.... did you get chased up, if so how. Did they get the money back somehow? Can/did they sell the debt to an australian agency?

Has anything happened beyond nasty emails or letters.

Only quantative facts of transactions between you and your debtors please.

(by the way I don't have any debts - but I would like to know)

I bet the fact of the matter is that they can do sod all if you stay outside the EU. But it would be interesting to find out.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 4:23 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Debt avoidance: Anybody caught?

Originally Posted by jwatsonoz
Hi,

Has anybody refused to pay back UK debts and suffered a disadvantage whilst here in Australia.

Lets hear the facts.... did you get chased up, if so how. Did they get the money back somehow? Can/did they sell the debt to an australian agency?

I bet the fact of the matter is that they can do sod all if you stay outside the EU. But it would be interesting to find out.
Why bother these poor, simple, honest folk?

Try a debt collector: Atradius' global network of debt collection professionals can provide a comprehensive, value for money recoveries service that can be tailored to meet your business needs.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Hi,

Why on earth would you be interested in the finer details of doing a 'moonlight flit' if you dont have any debt?
Old Jun 7th 2005, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wildmark
Why on earth would you be interested in the finer details of doing a 'moonlight flit' if you dont have any debt?
Perhaps they have the idea of getting cash advances on all their credit cards and then upping sticks.

I could probably muster up about £50k if I did this.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
Perhaps they have the idea of getting cash advances on all their credit cards and then upping sticks.

I could probably muster up about £50k if I did this.

Yeh me too, but you would spend a good number of years looking over your shoulder, long after the money was spent!
Old Jun 7th 2005, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Yeh me too, but you would spend a good number of years looking over your shoulder, long after the money was spent!
Would it be 7 years - Statute of Limitations?
Old Jun 7th 2005, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
Would it be 7 years - Statute of Limitations?
no debts? Yeah right!
Old Jun 7th 2005, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

I concur
Old Jun 7th 2005, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Why would somebody own up to that on a public forum?

I don't owe nobody nuffink by the way
Old Jun 7th 2005, 8:58 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
Why would somebody own up to that on a public forum?

I don't owe nobody nuffink by the way
We left the UK thinking we were debt free only to get our posted forwarded about 6 weeks later to find three letters from the car insurance people. It turns out that because we made a claim just before we left we weren't allowed to cancel the insurance early and not pay the remainder - nice of them to tell us before we left!!

Called them, told them we weren't going to pay then they threatened to send the 'heavies' round. We pointed out that we weren't in the UK and that we wouldn't give them our Oz address (come to think of it we told them that we were 'touring round Oz'.

Unfortunately the last UK correspondence address we had given out to them was the Mother-in-laws...now I know what they say about MIL's but the thought of some knuckle-scraping oaf banging on her door to collect money wasn't on!

Ended up paying the remainder over the phone. Only £250 but was still an arse!

R
Old Jun 7th 2005, 9:22 pm
Merlot

"Neither a lender of borrower be" or what ever me Nan used to say.

Remember when being in debt was a considered vulgar? Or when the only debt was "Provvie Tickets"? Sounding like Nan again

M

Old Jun 7th 2005, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by pako
I concur
Sorry, but it is true. Whilst we didn't come over with a property winfall we did have about 40.000 uk in savings. Also I went via ENS and walked into a professional job. My wife is a senior nurse and earns reasonably well too.

Also, you are speaking to somebody who religeously overpaid his student loan to get rid of it!

The only debt that we have is our mortgage and over the last year we have managed to overpay it by 4.1 times (factor keeps increasing) each month. Only 4 years left if we keep this up.

The *reason* I wanted to know is:
1) I'd just read tonnes of 'goody two shoes' responses to somebody who asked a similar question. It annoys me when people blurt there stuff without answering the question (oops I'm guilty!)
2) I may consider maxing out my uk credit cards that currently have a zero balance (about 30,000 uk pounds) :P (joke)
3) I was wondering how things work with the law.

Nobody has come back with anything credible with respect to being chased up in Australia (excepting the hassle to the family back home-good point that). Therefore I guess we can conclude that there would be no disadvantage leaving your debt's unpaid unless you intend to return.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 10:52 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but it is true. Whilst we didn't come over with a property winfall we did have about 40.000 uk in savings. Also I went via ENS and walked into a professional job. My wife is a senior nurse and earns reasonably well too.

Also, you are speaking to somebody who religeously overpaid his student loan to get rid of it!

The only debt that we have is our mortgage and over the last year we have managed to overpay it by 4.1 times (factor keeps increasing) each month. Only 4 years left if we keep this up.

1) I'd just read tonnes of 'goody two shoes' responses to somebody who asked a similar question. It annoys me when people blurt there stuff without answering the question (oops I'm guilty!)
2) I may consider maxing out my uk credit cards that currently have a zero balance (about 30,000 uk pounds) :P (joke)

Nobody has come back with anything credible with respect to being chased up in Australia (excepting the hassle to the family back home-good point that). Therefore I guess we can conclude that there would be no disadvantage leaving your debt's unpaid unless you intend to return.

Maybe cos they paid their debts so it has not happened to them or people they know.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

I dont meant to sound patronising but but if your in such a great financial shape, why are you so intent on getting answers to an irrelevant question (in your case)?
Old Jun 8th 2005, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

I dont meant to sound patronising but but if your in such a great financial shape, why are you so intent on getting answers to an irrelevant question (in your case)?

To be honest the OP did say "I am not interested in discussing the right or wrong of it". Therefore why are people questioning whether he/she is or isn't in this situation or whether it is right or wrong. The OP asked for FACTS about what happens.

Can't people just give the facts if they know them and get off their moral high horses!

I have no debts in the UK, but I am still intreiged by the answer to this question. It interests me to what extent we have become a global village, and what happens in scenarios like this across international boundaries

Darkless

p.s. For those on really high horses and couldn't quite hear me the first time - I HAVE NO DEBTS IN THE UK!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.