Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Death certificate in Thailand

Death certificate in Thailand

Old Mar 14th 2014, 3:47 am
Got our visas

julie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of light
Default Death certificate in Thailand

Has anyone had experienced trying to obtain a death certificate in Thailand?

My ex husband moved out there many years ago and decided to have no contact with me and his two children, who very young at the time. We since moved to Australia.

My daughter was told her father had died out in Thailand 2009 via her uncle . We heard no more until recently, his UK Private Pension scheme have been making inquires via her uncle, but he knows nothing either. They are requesting his death certificate to warrant release.

He was 58 when he died, hence why they have been looking for him. His brother was next of kin on his paper work, we think.

I have already contacted the General Register office in the UK and they can not find any record of him there.

I have no idea where he even lived in Thailand or who with.

Would anyone know where I can go from here?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 4:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Death certificate in Thailand

I've moved you to the Thailand Forum Julie. You'll hopefully get a clearer response here. Good luck.

Edit: Damn should have looked first. Leave it with me , I'll get it moved back.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Mar 14th 2014 at 4:07 am.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 8:38 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I think I would be inclined to hire a Thai lawyer. It will cost of course, but absolutely everything including a death certificate will be in Thai language.

I guess you need to find out where he was living. Would he have been working or retired, do you think? I imagine that a lawyer can check somewhere official if one knows if he had a Work Visa or a Retirement Visa. Of course, quite possible that he had neither, as quite a few expats just do Visa Runs from Thailand.

Obvious stuff I suppose but, in case you haven't done it, have you googled his name? Checked on Facebook? You'd be amazed how much you can find on the internet.

All I can think of at the moment. Nonthaburi, our Concierge, knows Thailand very well and he may have some better info

(Note to Moneypenny: I think someone has reinstated this topic twice....maybe another Mod. May want to delete t'other one)
Old Mar 14th 2014, 11:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Death Certificate in Thailand

Thread is now in the Aus forum and the Thai forum - I know we don't encourage duplicate threads, but this is an unusual one from a long standing BE member, so if anyone can help please do
Old Mar 14th 2014, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

wwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud of

I think you may need to ask someone in Bangkok to deal with this issue. If possible, you yourself can come over here. The following are the steps you need to go through:

1. Ask his brother first to get a clue of his presence. Search FB or Internet as Bakedbean suggested. If it does not work, try try the British Embassy in Bangkok in case he informed them about his whereabouts and the who process of death certificate collection and attestation. Like most Brits, probably he did not do so I supposed.
2. You may contact Bangkok Im**************** (or Immigration Division I, Im**************** - http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/...page=alienstay) and see this webpage how to get there - http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/thai...ration-office/ The officer there is certainly able to help you search for his name using the immigration database.
3. If you know where he was, you will need to find out what happened to him, i.e. the nature of death, and where his body was kept or incinerated in order to inform the police. If he had a wife or friend, you might be able to get the death certificate from them straightaway.
4. If a certificate has not yet been issued, report the deceased to the nearby Police Station (or District Office) depending on the cause of death. After that, they will issue you a death certificate which is in Thai. However, I am not sure if you will be provided with a bi-lingua copy (Thai/English); many documents are now available in both Thai and English.
5. If the certificate is typed in Thai, ask a translation/legal shop near the British Embassy to translate it into English. It costs around 200 - 500 bath.
6. You might need to request the Embassy to attest it either an original or translated copy. Ask the Embassy again for this.
Hope this helps.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 1:49 am
Got our visas

julie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you for your replys

Since this post, we have now found out where he lived and died. Internet is a good thing.

I have now hired a lawyer and hopfully this can get sorted.

Thanks again