Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cut in speed camera fines

Cut in speed camera fines

Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:14 pm

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Cut in speed camera fines

Cut in speed camera fines but increase in demerit points
Speed camera fines for offences up to 15 kmh above the speed limit will be cut from $130 to $75 under a proposed overhaul of the state's road rules.

The State Government will introduce the changes at the end of March to quell concerns that the fines are primarily a revenue-raising exercise. The offence will instead incur an extra demerit point.
I think this is a good proposal, better than the 4WD parking fee rise one from yesterday. The number of points you can accrue is limited by the fact that you'll lose your license - hopefully enough of a deterrant for most.
Not sure about the reduced fines though.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:40 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cut in speed camera fines

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
I think this is a good proposal, better than the 4WD parking fee rise one from yesterday. The number of points you can accrue is limited by the fact that you'll lose your license - hopefully enough of a deterrant for most.
Not sure about the reduced fines though.
Fair play to them putting their money where their mouth is on this one.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:55 pm
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice
Default Re: Cut in speed camera fines

It's possible to insure against loss of license due to speeding cameras in the UK now - IIRC Norwich Union were underwriting the policies. Still, it seems the best plan here is to retain a UK license - an unmarked car pulled me over for daring to travel at a whole 114 in a 110 area. He banged on for what must have been a full half hour about his personal crusade against motorists actually reaching their destination before conceding he could only realistically issue an 'infringement notice', which thankfully isn't endorseable.

Anyway, case in point, I'd favour the heavier fine and lower penalty points loading.