Dealing with PB

Old Mar 5th 2003, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dealing with PB

If you're getting upset by PB's - get a little perspective.

Take a look at PBs views on things you know about (ie the UK) and you'll find he has quite a different view on life to the rest of us.

For further confirmation, take a look at the reaction he provokes from people who know/live in the places in Oz that he rants and raves about.

And then finally, look at the number of his posts (including his infamous cut-and-pastes) on this ng and wonder, in the midst of posting all his moans (sorry 'negative comments'), does he find time to make the effort to make his life what he'd like it to be?

I've had the 'privelage' of reading PBs posts for a while now and I'd be quite worried if I shared a similar view to him on anything.

PB hoped to find 'Little England in the Sun'. (How surprised will you be to find Ozzies like their barbecues? PB was, and still can't get his head round them. How much research have you done folks?)

There are other examples of Ozzie life that surprised PB and takes issue with, but those points are clearly obvious to anyone who's done an ounce of research.

And that, IMHO, is where PB has is value in this group. He's a prime example of everything a successful immigrant is not. Learn from him.

For his sake, when he returns to England (if he ever finds the time between posting approx. 1720 contributions to the ng), I hope he finds it all he'd ever hoped it will be, but in the meantime, just have a chuckle at his posts (they really are quite funny)........
Old Mar 5th 2003, 5:04 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dealing with PB

Originally posted by young_lad
if he ever finds the time between posting approx. 1720 contributions to the ng
Out of the 1700+ posts, I bet less than 10% is worth anything. The majority of his posts are senseless negativity.

Peter
Old Mar 5th 2003, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

colind is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ptlabs
Out of the 1700+ posts, I bet less than 10% is worth anything. The majority of his posts are senseless negativity.

Peter
Peter

Like everything, this is a matter of opinion. People are quite happy to take a look at what PB is posting...just look at the number of Views on posts that PB either starts or takes part in.

I have been in Australia for 9 months. I still visit this board regularly as a means of virtually sharing others' experiences as they prepare to migrate or settle in to their new country. I am very happy with my decision to move to Sydney and when I post, I try to give a balanced view. There are, as with any country, many negatives and many positives.

A major reason that I am constantly drawn back to the ng is to drop in on some of the banter. I have to say that without question, PB is the star of this board's show. If you were to ask each board member to name another board member, I am certain that PB would come top of the list by a long way. Does that mean he's popular? Maybe not...perhaps notorious is a better description. But there is a message there.

Of course, I don't agree with everything that he says and I try to engage in reasoned arguments with him (not abusive ones) and on the whole, I have found that if you do that and try to appeal to his sense of humour (I accept some may find it hard to see that he has one, but he does) then he responds favourably.

I would remind members of the poll late last year where it was pretty unanimous that PB should not be banned from the board. My fear is that by censoring or removing posts, "characters" like PB will be driven away and the board will lose some of its spirit.

For those who are perhaps uncertain of their decision to migrate and are looking for positive strokes rather than potential pitfalls, then the Ignore option is a good one...as is the AU/NZ Migration forum, which deals specifically with migration issues. As a Lifestyle/Culture forum, my view is that this forum should be unmoderated (apart from personal abuse) and there is a place for everyone's view point.
Old Mar 5th 2003, 9:39 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by colin
For those who are perhaps uncertain of their decision to migrate and are looking for positive strokes rather than potential pitfalls, then the Ignore option is a good one...as is the AU/NZ Migration forum, which deals specifically with migration issues. As a Lifestyle/Culture forum, my view is that this forum should be unmoderated (apart from personal abuse) and there is a place for everyone's view point.
Well, PB stays clear from the Migration forum.

As for the Lifestyle forum, it was my opinion to target only personal abuse, spam, and advertising posts.

There are two schools of thoughts here. I get requests to remove PB's and pankala's posts - which I sometimes do not comply with. OTOH, there are folks like yourself who want PB to stay.

And I have to stand in the middle, as I am also of the opinion that PB and likeminded people should not be banned from the site.

The job of a moderator is thankless, I keep saying. If I delete a post, people get upset. If I leave a post, people get upset. If there's no moderator, I'm sure people will get equally upset.

Let me start a non-binding poll on the need for a moderator on the Lifestyle forum.

Peter
Old Mar 5th 2003, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

colind is an unknown quantity at this point

As for the Lifestyle forum, it was my opinion to target only personal abuse, spam, and advertising posts.
I would support that.

[Let me start a non-binding poll on the need for a moderator on the Lifestyle forum.
Good idea, Peter.

For the record, I would like to say thank you to you and Paul. Moderation is thankless task and you are in a no-win situation. I think we all know that you do try and do the right thing under difficult circumstances.
Old Mar 5th 2003, 9:59 pm
Banned

Thylacoleo is an unknown quantity at this point

There are two schools of thoughts here. I get requests to remove PB's and pankala's posts - which I sometimes do not comply with. OTOH, there are folks like yourself who want PB to stay.

And I have to stand in the middle, as I am also of the opinion that PB and likeminded people should not be banned from the site.

The job of a moderator is thankless, I keep saying. If I delete a post, people get upset. If I leave a post, people get upset. If there's no moderator, I'm sure people will get equally upset.

Let me start a non-binding poll on the need for a moderator on the Lifestyle forum.

Peter
Peter,

I suspect that some posters sub-conciously thank you for removing some of their posts, it makes them "look better".

In a small town, people have long memories and shame is a curb on bad behaviour. In a big city you can hide in numbers to do again what should not, on deeper reflection, have been done the first time.

A very important point: Who benefits commercially, and how, by providing this forum?
Old Mar 5th 2003, 10:52 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Originally posted by colin
For the record, I would like to say thank you to you and Paul. Moderation is thankless task and you are in a no-win situation. I think we all know that you do try and do the right thing under difficult circumstances.
Thanks for the thanks, if there's such a thing.

Remember, I'm neutral in this UK-bashing negativity. I'm not British, never been to Britain and neither love or loathe the UK.

I'm having 'offensive' threads thrown at my face by readers and when I investigate the threads, I don't know where to start. Imagine reading through 5 pages of ranting for a few negative individuals!

Which explains why I started tagging 'PB-pankala ding-dong' earlier on, but that didn't really work, as others would enter the fray and defeat the tagging.

It's much easier to moderate objectively (i.e. for spam, abuse etc) than subjectively (I don't like what he/she said - it's too negative).

Peter
Old Mar 5th 2003, 10:56 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Originally posted by sully4441
A reply from PB to me was removed which I didn't understand and it made my comments in isolation look wierd, so I removed them myself. After reading the rules I see that removing certain posts can affect others. I've no problem either way. There's being negative and being 'negative'. I read a very good 'negative' from joebloggs on another thread, an excellent read.

Some of these posts, some of my posts too probably belong in The Lounge, for general chit chat, but theres more going on here.

I personally would like to see Aus and NZ have a seperate room. Why? Because it's getting too big to navigate. A thread is posted, but if you don't view it straight away, 20 others replace it and force it off the first page. Is this a non starter?
LMS
I think I did a round of purging last night. Too much un-objective negativity and targetted abuse I guess. Again, everyone has a different spin on things.

Oz and NZ did have a separate forum sometime back, after they were split up from an initial combined forum, but later on, they were again merged. Reason? The NZ forum didn't generate any traffic at all. Another fine example of not being able to please everyone I guess.

Peter

P.S. I'm now the sole active moderator for the Oz/NZ forums (both immigration and lifestyle), as Paul is taking a break from all this for his own reasons. I would make my own decision as to whether I want to moderate the Lifestyle forum soon enough, as it really is a thankless job.
Old Mar 5th 2003, 11:00 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the thanks, if there's such a thing.

Remember, I'm neutral in this UK-bashing negativity. I'm not British, never been to Britain and neither love or loathe the UK.

I'm having 'offensive' threads thrown at my face by readers and when I investigate the threads, I don't know where to start. Imagine reading through 5 pages of ranting for a few negative individuals!

Which explains why I started tagging 'PB-pankala ding-dong' earlier on, but that didn't really work, as others would enter the fray and defeat the tagging.

It's much easier to moderate objectively (i.e. for spam, abuse etc) than subjectively (I don't like what he/she said - it's too negative).

Peter
Your idea of moderation stinks of over kill are you Russian or just abide free speech , I do think abuse of the 4 letter kind should be stamped out but general banter get a life.

Old Mar 5th 2003, 11:03 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Originally posted by pommie bastard
get a life.
lol - You're asking me to get a life?
Old Mar 5th 2003, 11:09 pm
Banned

Thylacoleo is an unknown quantity at this point

Peter,

The "Moderator Poll" has disappeared. Have you thrown in the towel and left PB as moderator or is it a technical glitch?
Old Mar 5th 2003, 11:13 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by young_lad
If you're getting upset by PB's - get a little perspective.

Take a look at PBs views on things you know about (ie the UK) and you'll find he has quite a different view on life to the rest of us.

For further confirmation, take a look at the reaction he provokes from people who know/live in the places in Oz that he rants and raves about.

And then finally, look at the number of his posts (including his infamous cut-and-pastes) on this ng and wonder, in the midst of posting all his moans (sorry 'negative comments'), does he find time to make the effort to make his life what he'd like it to be?

I've had the 'privelage' of reading PBs posts for a while now and I'd be quite worried if I shared a similar view to him on anything.

PB hoped to find 'Little England in the Sun'. (How surprised will you be to find Ozzies like their barbecues? PB was, and still can't get his head round them. How much research have you done folks?)

There are other examples of Ozzie life that surprised PB and takes issue with, but those points are clearly obvious to anyone who's done an ounce of research.

And that, IMHO, is where PB has is value in this group. He's a prime example of everything a successful immigrant is not. Learn from him.

For his sake, when he returns to England (if he ever finds the time between posting approx. 1720 contributions to the ng), I hope he finds it all he'd ever hoped it will be, but in the meantime, just have a chuckle at his posts (they really are quite funny)........

Young and naive why would any of my posts upset any grown adult and my view of life is far more varied that your narrow outlook.
I mock the dreamers out of pity as for my life if you knew which you do not , I am sure that you would say I was happy successful immigrant unlike some of of the pie in the sky dreamers who think life in Australia is given on plate .
I have good job in Perth and a paid off home and a good social life and plenty of friends ,but I find Perth a dead end .
Aussies love BBQs because its all most can afford they like you to bring your own Meat and Booze after attending over 100 of these backyard fry ups I long for an english dinner party and the Pubs and social clubs of the UK .
Keep your head in the sand and dont look up and around and you too can become an Aussie.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Mar 5th 2003 at 11:28 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2003, 11:14 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Originally posted by Thylacoleo
Peter,

The "Moderator Poll" has disappeared. Have you thrown in the towel and left PB as moderator or is it a technical glitch?
I've pushed the poll up to the top, so that it won't get pushed down by the new posts.

My mind is partially made up, regardless (or as the Americans would say irregardless) of the outcome of the Poll...

Peter
Old Mar 5th 2003, 11:15 pm
Banned

At lest an open mind which goes with a life.

Old Mar 5th 2003, 11:18 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Originally posted by pommie bastard
At lest an open mind which goes with a life.
If I didn't have an open mind, I would have advocated kicking you out of this forum.

Variety is the spice of life, but keep it sensible.

I stayed neutral and still am neutral. I can filter out your nonsense on my own, without having to delete your posts, if I weren't the moderator.

Peter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.