Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dead horse needs flogging

Wikiposts

Dead horse needs flogging

Old Feb 4th 2004, 12:32 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

I must say that I could easily be accused of overuse of the exclaimation mark!!!!
Old Feb 4th 2004, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Larissa
and those of us who can spell & punctuate but don't give a $hit!!! (I rather like my use of ellipsis and multiple punctuation marks, must be because I'm a repressed punctuation and "proper syntax" hater... .....!!!!!!
Having said that, I can identify with what Don is saying. I find it annoying when people type something and you can't make sense of it. It's important to be readable, but I don't think we should be getting obssessed - the internet is a great leveller and it shouldn't become overly formal / snotty etc.
Oooh forgot.... !!!!!......
Old Feb 4th 2004, 12:51 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by Larissa
Having said that, I can identify with what Don is saying. I find it annoying when people type something and you can't make sense of it. It's important to be readable, but I don't think we should be getting obssessed - the internet is a great leveller and it shouldn't become overly formal / snotty etc.
Oooh forgot.... !!!!!......

...tha days, tha tintenit be come's overlee formel und snitty was tha dee i will be founding a new carrier!

be yourself.... who gives a monley's! isn't this supposed to be about australian lifestyle and culture?
Old Feb 4th 2004, 1:14 am
Gremlin

Default Re: Dead horse needs flogging

Originally posted by Pollster
It is not so much the spelling that gets me but the total lack of punctuation - it makes my head spin!

COMMAS chaps, helps a great deal. There are also things called full stops and semi colons, colon's and apostrophes that help too, but I'll take just a few commas in the short term.
Hi Pollster

Hyphens helps as well. For example:

full-stops
semi-colons
short-term

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old Feb 4th 2004, 1:17 am
Kiwified member

I knew when I posted that there would be billions of people correcting me and pointing out things I had missed!!

Have you read Eats, Shoots and Leaves? Brilliant book - and well recommended for anyone with teenagers about to sit exams ( in English and anything else that involves writing)
Old Feb 4th 2004, 1:26 am
Gremlin

Originally posted by Keith & Val
Hi Pollster

full-stops
semi-colons
short-term

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Oops! That should have been 'Hyphens help ' not 'helps'. In mitigation it was originally 'Hyphenation helps, then changed it to hyphens, but forgot to remove the s from help. Doh!

Old Feb 4th 2004, 1:31 am
Kiwified member

Originally posted by Keith & Val
Hi Pollster

full-stops
semi-colons
short-term

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I s'pose if you want to be really picky, you should have started each item in your list with a capital letter and have a semi-colon after each item.

But hey, we are all friends here!
Old Feb 4th 2004, 1:36 am
Gremlin

I s'pose if you want to be really picky, you should have started each item in your list with a capital letter and have a semi-colon after each item.

But hey, we are all friends here!
Not picky at all, you are absolutely correct. Dangerous business wading into the world of spelling and grammar. A friend of mine has the book that you are referring to; very good apparently.

Old Feb 4th 2004, 1:42 am
WBB

I knew when I posted that there would be billions of people correcting me and pointing out things I had missed!!

Have you read Eats, Shoots and Leaves? Brilliant book - and well recommended for anyone with teenagers about to sit exams ( in English and anything else that involves writing)
Eats, Shoots and Leaves

??????????

i thought that was a book about one night stands.

Old Feb 4th 2004, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Great book. Haven't got to the end yet so don't spoil it for me. Did the panda do it ????
Old Feb 4th 2004, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by WBB
Eats, Shoots and Leaves

??????????

i thought that was a book about one night stands.

Was the punchline to my favourite joke for years - about the panda on day release from the zoo who meets a prostitute...you can guess the rest !!
Old Feb 4th 2004, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by zephyr147
Pollster,

I can see that you like apostrophes so much you've decided to add a few extra ones where they are not required (colon's, should be colons).

Unneccessary punctuation is as bad as lack of punctuation, but I suppose we all make typos (but never typo's).

I agree with you that some of the mails from native English speakers are dreadful.

Z

And as for me........ I got more dough than I could ever use so who cares............and i did'nt get it by my English schooling!!!!!!!!! just my English brain!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by jeannie; Feb 4th 2004 at 9:17 am.
Old Feb 4th 2004, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by jeannie
And as for me........ I got more dough than I could ever use so who cares............and i did'nt get by my English schooling!!!!!!!!! just my English brain!!!!!!!!!
OMG--- did i really say that my kids just told me to get off this site.... "quote its doing you no good" :scared:
Old Feb 4th 2004, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

It is not so much the spelling that gets me but the total lack of punctuation - it makes my head spin!

COMMAS chaps, helps a great deal. There are also things called full stops and semi colons, colon's and apostrophes that help too, but I'll take just a few commas in the short term.
Not an English teacher by any chance, Pollster?
Old Feb 4th 2004, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sj oldfield
Not an English teacher by any chance, Pollster?

Not with an apostrophe in a plural!! (Re. "semi colons, colon's and apostrophes" earlier. )

(Sorry I refrained for as long as I could!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.