Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is the De Facto visa valid from day of reciept?

Wikiposts

Is the De Facto visa valid from day of reciept?

Old Jan 9th 2004, 5:43 am
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough
Default Is the De Facto visa valid from day of receipt?

Hi there,

Like Welshboybilly and several others here we are waiting for my De Facto Visa to come through which I applied for on December 3rd 2003 through the London office. Just had a bit of a worry tonight - is the visa when it arrives usually valid immediately? They don't give you a date several months into the future until which you can't enter Australia on the visa do they? Just asking as we want to go within literally 3 weeks of it coming. Thanks!

Last edited by joninoxford; Jan 9th 2004 at 7:32 am.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 7:30 am
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Is the De Facto visa valid from day of receipt?

Originally posted by joninoxford
Hi there,

Like Welshboybilly and several others here we are waiting for my De Facto Visa to come through which I applied for on December 3rd 2003 through the London office. Just had a bit of a worry tonight - is the visa when it arrives usually valid immediately? They don't give you a date several months into the future until you can enter Australia on the visa do they? Just asking as we want to go within literally 3 weeks of it coming. Thanks!
I've got a feeling you have to validate it within 12 months of your medical or police check. They won't tell you to get on a plane within a month of confirming the visa so don't worry!

I've just realised that I need to get a fresh police check as my letter from them is dated 25 September and I don't plan arriving in Oz until October. Premature as always (still, as I always say to the missus - premature for who exactly?).

Old Jan 9th 2004, 8:40 am
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is the De Facto visa valid from day of receipt?

Originally posted by joninoxford
Hi there,

Like Welshboybilly and several others here we are waiting for my De Facto Visa to come through which I applied for on December 3rd 2003 through the London office. Just had a bit of a worry tonight - is the visa when it arrives usually valid immediately? They don't give you a date several months into the future until which you can't enter Australia on the visa do they? Just asking as we want to go within literally 3 weeks of it coming. Thanks!

Hi!

We didn't apply for a de facto visa but a spouse one which is similiar and yes they are valid immediately- meaning you can leave for Australia the day it arrives if you want. They do, however, have an expiry date. Meaning you have to have made at least a visit to Australia by the date it specifies. As the other poster says this is usually 1 year from the date of either your police check or your medical which ever you had done first.

Good luck and hope it arrives soon.

Sally and family

Old Jan 9th 2004, 8:42 am
WBB

yes thats right, you get 12 months from the date of your police checks or meds, whicever is earlier.

you must enter aussie by then.

you can't be far off getting your visa now.

Old Jan 9th 2004, 9:55 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by welshboybilly
yes thats right, you get 12 months from the date of your police checks or meds, whicever is earlier.

you must enter aussie by then.

you can't be far off getting your visa now.
WBB is spot on.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 1:10 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

One other point for those on provisional spouse visas

You are eligible for permanent residency 2 years (and no earlier) after date of application.

Therefore if you have time I would lodge the application as soon as you have the forms and evidence ready. In the mean time you can aquire your PCCs and medicals and send them together when you recieve then.

The upside is that you recieve PR earlier even though you recieve your visa a bit later.