Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

De-Facto visa regulations once in Australia concerning time apart please!

De-Facto visa regulations once in Australia concerning time apart please!

Old Apr 14th 2004, 6:00 am
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough
Default De-Facto visa regulations once in Australia concerning time apart please!

Hi there!
My Aussie girlfriend and are currently in Melbourne looking for jobs. She is looking for Biologist type roles, and I am looking for Environmental type jobs.

She has been offered a job in Townsville, but it is only a 12 month contract and I might struggle finding work in Townsville in my field, but I have told her of course I will be happy to go if that is the job she wants.

Also in the pipeline is a potential job offer for me in the Gippsland region (region to the east of Melbourne). I have found an excellent Environmental job there but it will be require me commuting 2 and a half hours + each way by car daily. She has also been offered another contract job in Melbourne, which she may accept instead of the Townsville one. In debating about whether I should take my one in Gippsland(she thinks I should), her mother suggested to me that I stay in Gippland during the week and commute back on Friday nights to stay the weekend with my girlfriend. My question is (if you still follow - sorry for the complicated story) is that if we decided to stay in Melbourne, with me commuting back each weekend to stay with my girlfriend for 6 months to 1 year until her contract job is over, would that be breaking the De-Facto visa rules? I really need some decent Aussie work experience, so we have to consider everything - and so far its the only job offer I have come close too. Any info greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old Apr 14th 2004, 6:12 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you on a temp de-facto visa?
Old Apr 14th 2004, 9:56 am
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough

Hi Bondipom,
Yes I am on a provisional resident De Facto visa. After 2 years I apply for full residency. No regulations were mentioned when the visa was issued. Anybody else given any rules or instructions with their De Facto visa?
Old Apr 14th 2004, 9:58 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

I think the same will apply as it does when you originally apply for a spouse visa, namely that you will have to prove how you maintained contact during periods of separation - letters, phone bills, travel docs etc etc.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 11:06 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Fortunately there is not a hard and fast rule. It is the sum of the evidence that shows that you and your partner are together as though you are man and wife that will determine the application decision at the end of the 2 years.

Only if your relationship ends do you have to inform DIMIA and leave Australia.

I would base all your correspondence at the Melbourne address and have the Gippland address as a temporary address.